Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Phantom

Kancheong King... Where To Hold Customary Dinner?

Thanks xinyi_reiko,

I've gone through the information. Much appreciated.

I'm an intercon BTB...will be having my AD next Feb....basically we viewed all the hotels in town b4 deciding on intercon...was totally won over by the grand ballroom....had friends who attended wedding there and commented that the food is nice....can't comment much on that since i've nvr attended weddings there b4 but it's nice to hear good comments :lol:

Phantom, if you are looking at 40 tables, I dun think intercon can accomodate so many leh...their max is 37 tables...i thnk you should select your hotels by elimination process...as in eliminate those which can't accomodate so many tables...it will make your selection easier.... i think grand copthorne is a good choice if you are planning so many tables...shangrila is d-a-r-n ex one lor...how about conrad? Actually i think oriental is very nice too, esp since after the revamp, but dun think they can accomodate so many tables too leh...

But I think you should visit the hotels you are interested in to see if you have the feeling~....comments are just comments...ultimately you must like the place b4 you commit.

Ya lah precisely...that's why some pple would think grand copthorne is good and some think not mah...after all, it's individual preference lah....ultimately, the couple must like the place...the rest is secondary..ehh grand copthorne not cheap lor....their prices are also 5-star prices man..

Hi Air, I'm leaning slightly towards Intercon because i like the place, we could be downsizing to fit 30 odd tables if we want to hold it there. you are right on the max tables.

shang price is pretty alrite if its not a weekend.. conrad both of us don't like... one thing i don't like abt grand copthorne is that its not really 5star hotel .. asking for 5star prices..

**** right on that.. on the other hand.. the ballroom is nice.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Wow so many replies liao, but I will just keep to my own post and your first post...

Ok, for 40 tables, I believe goodwood park and shangri-la is out - GW is too small while shang is too big. Yes shang definitely can put in the partition to cater to your smaller group, not sure about you, but I won't want to have a 'half' ballroom. Not sure about intercon though, I believe they do not have a big ballroom also? Do check it out.

Which comes to the next issue: Do choose a hotel that only have ONE ballroom and only ONE mega function per night. This is impt to me because I ever walked into a wrong wedding before (my friend's son's wedding), which was at swissotel. They can have like two weddings, one mega function and a few D&D ALL AT THE SAME TIME, because the convention hall is **** big. I am sure you have old folks and do not want them to get confused. Exclusivity is another thing: I do not like to be just "one of the many events" at the hotel for that night.

Pan Pac, grand corp and oriental I believe can cater, but I would choose pan pac, although they are not cheap. Grand corp is ok, their big glass window overlooking onto the garden is nice but everyone knows about it lah, so no surprise liao. Oriental would be most NOT recommended, because very bad service there. If you are those with special ideas on lighting, music, or maybe you want to do something special for your spouse, this is not the place. They often screw up on the AV, like no sound on the video, wrong music, etc.

Are you ok with 12-pax per table? If so then can consider sheraton and conrad, they are the only hotels with 12-pax tables, very nice and posh, but make sure your old folks are ok with that. More pricey ones would be fullerton, nice ballroom walk-down staircase, highly recommended. Avoid ritz carlton even though you got alot of money; they cater to corporate events more and do not like to have weddings unless you are some rich and famous VVIPs.

gdwood is abit too small but we could limit our tables.. we intend to take a look at it first.. see if the wife likes it.. shang.. you are right.. not sure if we going. but it looks better if bigger crowd..

intercon might fit nicely.. we like the theme.. old world.. and the entrance is big ..looks gracious enough..

only thing is the stupid additional pricing on auspicious days..

:lol:

thanks for the tip on the exclusive function.. this is also a concern for me. i almost went to the wrong wedding just now..

thanks for the tips on pan pac and oriental.. we'll take note of that.. wife doesn't think too highly of hai tien lo though.. GCW, wife likes the ballroom height.. ****.. she likes the place FULLSTOP. I just don't feel "worth it" for the price.. :P

we both don't like sheraton and conrad...

fullerton is a no. I went there twice.. and i just don't like it.

ritz carlton is just way out for us.. loour..

frankly speaking, do you think grand copthorne location is convenient meh??? :dunno: i really don't think so lor. it's very out of the way! :jawdrop: location is really an impt factor too. :)

i ever read a posting from this forum that someone's friend held their AD at grand copthorne and eventually they couldn't even breakeven after their AD due to the location. :(

one of the swissotel the stamford ballrooms can hold 50 tables or more. you mean sheraton and conrad are the only hotels with 12 persons per table? :) ya, i think i heard before. i also known that swissotel the stamford is one of the hotels which caters 20 persons per table for VIPs (you can choose). it's called the mega top. :notti:

oriental hotel really has very bad service?! :o

thanks for all your feedback also korea.. we don't really care abt the location convenient or not.. we expect that ppl will come no matter what.. :horse:

which hotel had nail in the drink?! :o i agreed that merchant court food CMI. we tried before and impression not good. :(

we chosen swissotel the stamford b'cos of the service, convenient location (city hall mrt nearby), the beautiful bridal suite (very beautiful scenery and at 60th+ floor), food etc. swissotel the stamford is the only hotel with "smart lighting" in their ballrooms. a 5 star hotel. you should bring your wife to see the ballrooms and bridal suite, she'll surely love it! after seeing the ballroom and bridal suite, i started to pester hubby to book swissotel the stamford! :lol:

we also went to grand hyatt, hilton, grand copthorne waterfront etc but the ballrooms CMI. :jawdrop:

ya, intercon is based on asupicious dates to price their wedding packages. :good: i don't find intercon has anything special except the ballroom i agreed is beautiful but the rest is average lor. :(

since you mentioned grand hyatt's co-ordinators and here i've a comment. :jawdrop: that time, when we went to view grand hyatt ballrooms and a co-ordinator didn't give us a good impression. :P she gave me a feeling that she didn't bother to serve us and very hurry went through everything very fast. she also didn't bother to give us the complimentary parking. 8| from such small issue you can see the attitude so how can we let this hotel to handle our big day! :)

holidays inn parkview and hilton co-ordinators are very good especially holidays inn parkview. holiday inn parkview is not bad and their crystal ballroom is very nice! :good:

we could be looking at holiday inn parkview.... wife say hilton old though...

the nail was at marriot.. we think its a one off thing lah.. maybe some disenchanted worker... swissotel.. doesn't ring with us leh.. lol..

this kinda thing is wife must like one.. husband just help to pay nia.. :lol:

Thanks xinyi_reiko,

I've gone through the information. Much appreciated.

Hi Air, I'm leaning slightly towards Intercon because i like the place, we could be downsizing to fit 30 odd tables if we want to hold it there. you are right on the max tables.

shang price is pretty alrite if its not a weekend.. conrad both of us don't like... one thing i don't like abt grand copthorne is that its not really 5star hotel .. asking for 5star prices..

**** right on that.. on the other hand.. the ballroom is nice.

the wedding co-ordinator from grand copthorne told us that it's a 5 star hotel. he's sure a not??? :P he said 5 star in the sense of business. :good:

thanks for all your feedback also korea.. we don't really care abt the location convenient or not.. we expect that ppl will come no matter what.. :)

we could be looking at holiday inn parkview.... wife say hilton old though...

the nail was at marriot.. we think its a one off thing lah.. maybe some disenchanted worker... swissotel.. doesn't ring with us leh.. lol..

this kinda thing is wife must like one.. husband just help to pay nia.. :lol:

you expect people to come but if they don't come also bo bian. you just have to bear the cost liao. you can't use the word "expect" for your AD. everything must be well-planned. :dunno:

i feel that holiday inn parkview is not bad. at least better than grand copthorne! :jawdrop: you must see the crystal ballroom. very nice and high ceiling. :jawdrop: ya, agreed that hilton is very old! :jawdrop: imagine a 5 star hotel but look very old. :lol:

why you and my hubby said the same thing huh? he also said that wife is in charge of choosing venue and hubby is in charge of paying the bills. hahaha. :lol:

the wedding co-ordinator from grand copthorne told us that it's a 5 star hotel. he's sure a not??? :lol: he said 5 star in the sense of business. :good:

you expect people to come but if they don't come also bo bian. you just have to bear the cost liao. you can't use the word "expect" for your AD. everything must be well-planned. :jawdrop:

i feel that holiday inn parkview is not bad. at least better than grand copthorne! :jawdrop: you must see the crystal ballroom. very nice and high ceiling. :jawdrop: ya, agreed that hilton is very old! :) imagine a 5 star hotel but look very old. :lol:

why you and my hubby said the same thing huh? he also said that wife is in charge of choosing venue and hubby is in charge of paying the bills. hahaha. :lol:

ha ha ha.. i dunno if its five star anot.. i dun think so leh.. to me the place is 4star.. lol... maybe 4 1/2.. but not five...

yeah.. we make sure we invite close ppl and those that got money.. lol.. thats why alot of relatives not inviting from my side.. because very ultra stingy one... just invite a handful.. then invite mrs phantoms relatives.. and my friends/colleagues and ex-colleagues/clients... make money for this ppl.. hopefully they help to defray dinner abit.. :P

i already make arrangements to go view holiday inn next week... ballroom looks nice in the photos...

its true mah.. husband like or not.. never impt.. its the wife's day..

Edited by Phantom

ha ha ha.. i dunno if its five star anot.. i dun think so leh.. to me the place is 4star.. lol... maybe 4 1/2.. but not five...

yeah.. we make sure we invite close ppl and those that got money.. lol.. thats why alot of relatives not inviting from my side.. because very ultra stingy one... just invite a handful.. then invite mrs phantoms relatives.. and my friends/colleagues and ex-colleagues/clients... make money for this ppl.. hopefully they **** to defray dinner abit.. :)

we also think that grand copthorne is 4 star hotel b'cos of the location. but the wedding co-ordinator kept insisted that it's 5 star hotel. :lol: anyway, not interested at all. :lol:

:lol::jawdrop: you're a very realistic person. but we also the same too lah. haha. no matter what, we must invite both sides relative. it's a courteous to invite them. :jawdrop: we're sure our relatives aren't that stingy and "know how to do people". :jawdrop:

i already make arrangements to go view holiday inn next week... ballroom looks nice in the photos...

its true mah.. husband like or not.. never impt.. its the wife's day..

which wedding co-ordinator from HIPV that you made appt with? that time we looked for adeline. she's a very nice lady b'cos she's patient in explaining to us. :dunno: she even treated us lunch buffet at HIPV. :P

ya, agreed. hubby said i'm a very fussy lady so he asked me to make the decision. if i like then ok. :good:

we also think that grand copthorne is 4 star hotel b'cos of the location. but the wedding co-ordinator kept insisted that it's 5 star hotel. :lol: anyway, not interested at all. :lol:

:lol::jawdrop: you're a very realistic person. but we also the same too lah. haha. no matter what, we must invite both sides relative. it's a courteous to invite them. :jawdrop: we're sure our relatives aren't that stingy and "know how to do people". :jawdrop:

oh.. mrs phantom's relatives are much nicer than mine.. quite unfortunate... my side too much bitchin and whats not.. only my relatives in malaysia are better.. but then... they might not want to make the trip out.. lol...

out of courtesy will invite some of my side relatives..

i'm quite hesitant to invite my poly mates.. dunno if they will "know how to do ppl" .. i know how much they pao for my last poly mate wedding.. i almost fainted..

which wedding co-ordinator from HIPV that you made appt with? that time we looked for adeline. she's a very nice lady b'cos she's patient in explaining to us. :dunno: she even treated us lunch buffet at HIPV. :P

ya, agreed. hubby said i'm a very fussy lady so he asked me to make the decision. if i like then ok. :good:

we meeting up with vashanti.. indian lady.. hope she's good... she sound pretty polite on the phone.. so see how..

wah seh.. still got lunch .. not bad :)

oh.. mrs phantom's relatives are much nicer than mine.. quite unfortunate... my side too much bitchin and whats not.. only my relatives in malaysia are better.. but then... they might not want to make the trip out.. lol...

out of courtesy will invite some of my side relatives..

i'm quite hesitant to invite my poly mates.. dunno if they will "know how to do ppl" .. i know how much they pao for my last poly mate wedding.. i almost fainted..

we meeting up with vashanti.. indian lady.. hope she's good... she sound pretty polite on the phone.. so see how..

wah seh.. still got lunch .. not bad :notti:

i don't intend to invite my poly friends b'cos didn't contact with them anymore. :jawdrop: some friends you know that they're stingy then better forget it! waste time and effort! 8|

i feel guilty until now that we didn't book with HIPV after eating their free lunch buffet! :(

i don't intend to invite my poly friends b'cos didn't contact with them anymore. :jawdrop: some friends you know that they're stingy then better forget it! waste time and effort! :notti:

i feel guilty until now that we didn't book with HIPV after eating their free lunch buffet! 8|

sometimes its not that don't want to invite.. but ppl must understand we are not trying to make a profit out of it.. so.. if can try to help.. good lah... some ang pao is really too little.

ha ha ha.. mrs phantom will eat first.. she will say if they treat we eat. haven't confirm booking yet so cannot say guilty. lol...

Edited by Phantom

we were dining at HIPV after met up with the co-ordinator and so happened we met the co-ordinator at the lunch buffet so she treated us lor. :jawdrop:

we were dining at HIPV after met up with the co-ordinator and so happened we met the co-ordinator at the lunch buffet so she treated us lor. :notti:

this one i must learn.. :jawdrop:

sometimes its not that don't want to invite.. but ppl must understand we are not trying to make a profit out of it.. so.. if can try to help.. good lah... some ang pao is really too little.

ha ha ha.. mrs phantom will eat first.. she will say if they treat we eat. haven't confirm booking yet so cannot say guilty. lol...

ya, some people don't know how to auto so what can we do?? they can't blame us to be so realistic mah. 8| some people are smart, they don't want to write their names on the ang bao. so that nobody will know mah. 8|

this one i must learn.. :jawdrop:

you must arrange appt around lunch time so that you got the chance!:notti:! :(

ya, some people don't know how to auto so what can we do?? they can't blame us to be so realistic mah. :notti: some people are smart, they don't want to write their names on the ang bao. so that nobody will know mah. 8|

you must arrange appt around lunch time so that you got the chance!:jawdrop:! 8|

aiyah jialat.. i arrange later..

sigh.. maybe tomorrow i call again? hee hee (very gian png)

:(

u are right.. its not like last time.. nowadays everything also expensive.. some of my colleagues or compatriots in the industry if they know i don't drive.. give me the look.. "how come u don't own a car" ..

and to go off topic again.. alot i know very haolian .. call themselves banker...

i normally just say "i work in the bank" .. "i'm a bank officer" etc...

alot of these blokes spend money like no tomorrow..

i buay tahan those ppl never write name one...

aiyah jialat.. i arrange later..

sigh.. maybe tomorrow i call again? hee hee (very gian png)

:(

u are right.. its not like last time.. nowadays everything also expensive.. some of my colleagues or compatriots in the industry if they know i don't drive.. give me the look.. "how come u don't own a car" ..

and to go off topic again.. alot i know very haolian .. call themselves banker...

i normally just say "i work in the bank" .. "i'm a bank officer" etc...

alot of these blokes spend money like no tomorrow..

i buay tahan those ppl never write name one...

no car isn't a crime. why so realistic leh? btw, just curious. you don't drive?? :notti: i saw many men working in raffles place or sherton way are wearing very smartly to work. i wonder whether they earn really a lot a not or just maybe they want to dress up to make themselves look good for others to see. haha. 8| probably, their salary is very low only. :jawdrop:

i find that real rich people usually will dress very causally. hubby has a few friends who are very rich and they dress very causal. nobody will know they're rich, manz! 8|

one of the swissotel the stamford ballrooms can hold 50 tables or more. you mean sheraton and conrad are the only hotels with 12 persons per table? :( ya, i think i heard before. i also known that swissotel the stamford is one of the hotels which caters 20 persons per table for VIPs (you can choose). it's called the mega top. :jawdrop:

oriental hotel really has very bad service?! :notti:

Erm, doesn't matter whether swissotel has how many ballrooms or whatever sizes, but the fact is that they have more than ONE ballroom then I dun like liao.

For 20 pax per table, its nothing special nowadays - every hotel can do it because everyone has something called the 'crescent' table which can be put together to form a 'mega top'. With the table cloth over it, nobody can tell if its a one-piece table or formed with crescent tables. Such 20-pax table was actually started by ritz carlton, not swissotel.

Back in 2005 during my wedding at marriott, I had alot of problems trying to get them to make this big table for my 'red' table because they never tried it before; I believe a wedding is a marriage of two families, so I do not want two red tables, just one big table. In the end marriott give it a try and it was great!

Now marriott is selling it as well, in the same way I did it with them, hehe...

thanks for the tips on pan pac and oriental.. we'll take note of that.. wife doesn't think too highly of hai tien lo though.. GCW, wife likes the ballroom height.. ****.. she likes the place FULLSTOP. I just don't feel "worth it" for the price.. 8|

Actually hor, for me I believe the moment you choose to hold your wedding at hotel you shouldn't be too fussy with food. Another issue is that the catering sales always like to sell their in-house restaurant; I always want to ask, if on my wedding day, do they close their restaurant and the chefs all come over? If not how sure am I that my wedding dinner is cooked by the same chef in the restaurant? All bluff people one lor...

I held my wedding at marriott, though everyone tells me the food is no good. In the end, nobody complained anyway, because I put up a good 'show' for my wifey and everyone forgotten about the good food...hehe...hotels are all about ambience lah, don't worry too much about the food, it won't too bad one lah...

GCW is good lah, if your wifey likes it then do give it some thoughts. You know lah, women...hehe...

Hey phantom, intercon's pricing has gone up liao for 2008, so you better check out whether it fits your budget or not first....i was lucky cos our wedding is in Feb...so they extended the 07 pricing to us..let me know if you need any info :P

Edited by Air