Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kellhound

Security considerations for landed properties

Hi,

I notice that there is a trend of doing away with window grilles  and having full length glass doors on the ground floor without grilles. While burglaries are indeed very rare, I would like to find out from others as to what security measures you currently use. Just IP CCTV?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

While Sg is relatively safe, one can’t be complacent. You heard about overseas gangs coming to Sg to break into landed houses?

if you want more security, just install the grilles.

Else you can also get services from security companies which will install motion sensors within the house and trigger alarms back at their HQ if there’s any break in. Downside is you need to activate and deactivate it daily else can’t work

Just putting cctv in plain sight can act as a deterrent. But if the burglar manages to take away the recorder or destroy it, then it is as good as nothing.

for me I just install grilles. Better to do it at the start rather than retrofit later which would be problematic.

Alternatively, make yr hse look like the poorest household on the street. Tie some rusty corrugated sheets on your fencing. Blue striped tarpolene works too. 

10 hours ago, yoongf said:

Alternatively, make yr hse look like the poorest household on the street. Tie some rusty corrugated sheets on your fencing. Blue striped tarpolene works too. 

Haha...if like that, I might as well don't renovate. Even better. 😂 The house I'm moving into looks quite scary now in its current state

11 hours ago, snoozee said:

While Sg is relatively safe, one can’t be complacent. You heard about overseas gangs coming to Sg to break into landed houses?

if you want more security, just install the grilles.

Else you can also get services from security companies which will install motion sensors within the house and trigger alarms back at their HQ if there’s any break in. Downside is you need to activate and deactivate it daily else can’t work

Just putting cctv in plain sight can act as a deterrent. But if the burglar manages to take away the recorder or destroy it, then it is as good as nothing.

for me I just install grilles. Better to do it at the start rather than retrofit later which would be problematic.

A pity that grilles significantly affect the overall aesthetic. The best option I've found for folding glass doors is folding grilles. Takes up double the space for the tracks and looks bulky when it's folded to the side. 

Example here:

whatsapp-image-2016-10-31-at-10-10-18-am_orig.jpeg

whatsapp-image-2016-10-31-at-10-10-15-am_orig.jpeg

whatsapp-image-2016-10-31-at-10-10-19-am_orig.jpeg

On 4/10/2021 at 7:09 PM, Kellhound said:

A pity that grilles significantly affect the overall aesthetic. The best option I've found for folding glass doors is folding grilles. Takes up double the space for the tracks and looks bulky when it's folded to the side. 

Example here:

whatsapp-image-2016-10-31-at-10-10-18-am_orig.jpeg

there's other grilles design to choose from. this particular one has an additional frame in between each panel for the pull handle hence adding to the bulk. also the bars in between is quite thick which isn't pleasing to the eye. of cos one man's meat is another man's poison.

as the grilles are customised to each doorway, you can choose the materials and design as well as the swing directions. there's no fixed rule that all the grilles have to be bifold and open to one side. you can also split the grille into 2 such that 2 panels open to each side.

if i was the house owner of the photo example, i would have asked for the grilles to be swung open the other side (left instead of right) and the entire panels can be swung 180 degrees such that all the panels are flat against the wall on the left. with current design, the grilles block the shoe cabinet when open which is bad design as the thought process wasn't done properly on the usage.

just to share an example of my grilles, I had requested for a split 4 panels design so the lock is in the middle and each side has 2 panels. but I has requested for different swing directions for both sides. on the left side, it is the "normal" swing where the end position is at 90 degrees. but for the right side, i had opposite swing such that after opening, i can flush the 2 grilles flat to the wall instead of a 90 degrees protrusion. this will effectively remove the obstruction of having the grilles stuck at 90 degrees. but the downside of this design is that both panels need to be unlatched in order to swing out the grilles as opposed to just needing to unlock/unlatch one panel. also, by choosing thinner rods (with a steel rod insert), the grilles looks less intimidating and reduces the bulk.

Also I have sliding doors instead of bifold doors so my opening is always limited to 50 percent as i only have 2 tracks (plus 1 frame for grilles). if you want to do bifold doors, my advise is to do one with bottom track and rollers as well. the bifold door is heavy and if just supported by top hung tracks, it may sag over time or rollers fail and eventually give you problems.

image.png.989e216572d9f12fe21b4acd8e2b79c1.png

12 hours ago, snoozee said:

there's other grilles design to choose from. this particular one has an additional frame in between each panel for the pull handle hence adding to the bulk. also the bars in between is quite thick which isn't pleasing to the eye. of cos one man's meat is another man's poison.

as the grilles are customised to each doorway, you can choose the materials and design as well as the swing directions. there's no fixed rule that all the grilles have to be bifold and open to one side. you can also split the grille into 2 such that 2 panels open to each side.

if i was the house owner of the photo example, i would have asked for the grilles to be swung open the other side (left instead of right) and the entire panels can be swung 180 degrees such that all the panels are flat against the wall on the left. with current design, the grilles block the shoe cabinet when open which is bad design as the thought process wasn't done properly on the usage.

just to share an example of my grilles, I had requested for a split 4 panels design so the lock is in the middle and each side has 2 panels. but I has requested for different swing directions for both sides. on the left side, it is the "normal" swing where the end position is at 90 degrees. but for the right side, i had opposite swing such that after opening, i can flush the 2 grilles flat to the wall instead of a 90 degrees protrusion. this will effectively remove the obstruction of having the grilles stuck at 90 degrees. but the downside of this design is that both panels need to be unlatched in order to swing out the grilles as opposed to just needing to unlock/unlatch one panel. also, by choosing thinner rods (with a steel rod insert), the grilles looks less intimidating and reduces the bulk.

Also I have sliding doors instead of bifold doors so my opening is always limited to 50 percent as i only have 2 tracks (plus 1 frame for grilles). if you want to do bifold doors, my advise is to do one with bottom track and rollers as well. the bifold door is heavy and if just supported by top hung tracks, it may sag over time or rollers fail and eventually give you problems.

image.png.989e216572d9f12fe21b4acd8e2b79c1.png

Hi Snoozee,

So you only have grilles for your ground floor? Which means you can't fully enclose for aircon?

44 minutes ago, Kellhound said:

Hi Snoozee,

So you only have grilles for your ground floor? Which means you can't fully enclose for aircon?

Nope. Have sliding glass doors as well to close up at night, keep out the rain and when need to turn on aircon.

sliding glass doors are 4 panels on 2 tracks and the grilles has its own frame outside. From the photo I posted, you can see the black tracks for the glass doors near the bottom just after the cement screed flooring 

18 hours ago, snoozee said:

Nope. Have sliding glass doors as well to close up at night, keep out the rain and when need to turn on aircon.

sliding glass doors are 4 panels on 2 tracks and the grilles has its own frame outside. From the photo I posted, you can see the black tracks for the glass doors near the bottom just after the cement screed flooring 

So just to confirm, your glass doors are sliding but your grilles are bifold? I'm still trying to visualize how your grilles can fold 180 degrees flat.........

1 hour ago, Kellhound said:

So just to confirm, your glass doors are sliding but your grilles are bifold? I'm still trying to visualize how your grilles can fold 180 degrees flat.........

yup.

see how the panels are hinged to each other and the frame. basically the red panel can fold 180 degrees to the wall on the right and the green panel then end up being folded on top of the red panel.

2021-04-13_16-36-29.jpg

3 hours ago, snoozee said:

yup.

see how the panels are hinged to each other and the frame. basically the red panel can fold 180 degrees to the wall on the right and the green panel then end up being folded on top of the red panel.

2021-04-13_16-36-29.jpg

Thanks for the detailed diagram!

Google for pivot door & look under google shopping tab. Just get the pivot ironmongery & get your door contractor or handyman services to install.

11 hours ago, Kellhound said:

Hi

Does anyone know who does pivot main doors in Singapore?

If you want pivot doors better confirm it first and let your main contractor know early. Cos the frame would be different and you will also need to cater for the pivot mechanism in the floor as well. Else you will have a problem if the normal door frame is installed as the design of normal door frame would be different from pivot doors frame.