Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kellhound

Security considerations for landed properties

1 hour ago, AWS said:

Some issues may need to consider:

The glass door may need to satisfy BCA’s tempered/laminated specifications.

Privacy issues unless there is drawing day curtain or glass films with mirror reflectivity pasted on.

tempered glass should suffice since the doors won't be acting as barriers

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
On 8/13/2021 at 12:20 AM, Kellhound said:

Noted. I'm just surprised I can't find any local supplier/installer on Google

Is there a minimum width for pivot doors? Cos the pivot is not at the edge right? Would think that the walkable space could be too narrow?

26 minutes ago, Topline said:

Is there a minimum width for pivot doors? Cos the pivot is not at the edge right? Would think that the walkable space could be too narrow?

depends on where you install the pivot mechanism. if your main door is 1.2m wide and your pivot mechanism is installed at 20cm from the edge of the frame, then you still have around 1m to walk through. standard room doors are usually 800mm or 900mm wide so with 1m width for main door should still be sufficient.

Do consider to get a good quality floor spring that matches the weight of the wooden door. Dorma is a good choice. Such pivot door discussed will only look nice with width of 1.5m and above. Factor in the height, the door can easily weigh >150kg. 

1 hour ago, Kellhound said:

Hi, does anyone know of a digital lock that can be installed in aluminum swing doors with glass?

do you have grilles in front/behind the swing door? how thick/wide is the frame of the door? you could try to explore those locks for HDB metal gates. plenty of options

No grilles and I can fabricate the door to try and match the lock specs.

I wanted to fit the digital push-pull mortise lock types (lockset is embedded in door) but all the vendors said it was not possible. They said my only option was the rim lock types (lockset is attached externally to the frame)

I'm just curious as to why the vendors are so reluctant if I can customize the aluminium frame to the lock specs

5 hours ago, Kellhound said:

No grilles and I can fabricate the door to try and match the lock specs.

I wanted to fit the digital push-pull mortise lock types (lockset is embedded in door) but all the vendors said it was not possible. They said my only option was the rim lock types (lockset is attached externally to the frame)

I'm just curious as to why the vendors are so reluctant if I can customize the aluminium frame to the lock specs

question is how is your swing door design? is is just a single panel door or part of a group of swing and fold sliding doors?

if you are just having a single door, you should be able to use those push pull mortise locks provided there is the correct sized aluminum profiles in the market. take a korean brand digital door lock as example. the width from door edge to the other side of the lock edge is about 115mm while the depth of the mortise mechanism is about 104mm so you will need a piece of door frame which is of at least 120mm wide in order for the lock to be installed. i'm not sure if there are aluminum profiles which are of 120mm wide or bigger. if there is no such width of aluminum profile, then of cos the vendors will tell you can't be done since they can't fabricate something for it in the first place.

now if what you have is a series of foldable doors, then the push pull mortise lock won't work at all since once the other panels are unlatched, the whole series of doors can be opened even if you have a mortise lock installed. even if you have a rim lock which has a retractable mechanism, it won't work as well. for this type of doors, you need those rim lock which the lock mechanism is actually latching/grabbing on to the base on the other side.

7 hours ago, snoozee said:

question is how is your swing door design? is is just a single panel door or part of a group of swing and fold sliding doors?

if you are just having a single door, you should be able to use those push pull mortise locks provided there is the correct sized aluminum profiles in the market. take a korean brand digital door lock as example. the width from door edge to the other side of the lock edge is about 115mm while the depth of the mortise mechanism is about 104mm so you will need a piece of door frame which is of at least 120mm wide in order for the lock to be installed. i'm not sure if there are aluminum profiles which are of 120mm wide or bigger. if there is no such width of aluminum profile, then of cos the vendors will tell you can't be done since they can't fabricate something for it in the first place.

now if what you have is a series of foldable doors, then the push pull mortise lock won't work at all since once the other panels are unlatched, the whole series of doors can be opened even if you have a mortise lock installed. even if you have a rim lock which has a retractable mechanism, it won't work as well. for this type of doors, you need those rim lock which the lock mechanism is actually latching/grabbing on to the base on the other side.

OK I see your point regarding the depth of the mortise lockset affecting the width of the door profile.

My swing door is part of a set of folding doors and serves as the main door aka traffic door. I understand what you're saying about the retractable bolt "loophole" but since the other folding panels can only be unlatched from the inside anyway, it shouldn't be too much of a security concern? 

5 hours ago, Kellhound said:

OK I see your point regarding the depth of the mortise lockset affecting the width of the door profile.

My swing door is part of a set of folding doors and serves as the main door aka traffic door. I understand what you're saying about the retractable bolt "loophole" but since the other folding panels can only be unlatched from the inside anyway, it shouldn't be too much of a security concern? 

Yes, you are right. I got mixed up with grilles for a moment. However do note that latches for folding doors/grilles tend to break after several years so you will face the security issue if both top and bottom latches for the same panel breaks at the same time

Hello to all. The advent of smart home devices has revolutionized the way we secure our homes, and one such device that has gained immense popularity is the Google Nest security system. This advanced and intuitive system not only offers many features to protect our homes but also provides ease of use. Using these devices, you can be sure that they will last a long time, and if any device fails, just contact google nest and you can be sure that the support service will help in solving this problem.