Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kellhound

Electrical works quote

1 hour ago, Itanium said:

Hi Bro Snoozee

May I ask how may ceiling mounted AP do you have per floor? Are the signals strong enough to penetrate the bedrooms on the same floor and their attached bathrooms?

Thanks!

i have one on each floor except my mezzanine where i have 2 to provide coverage for mezzanine and 1st storey. Cos my mezzanine has a void for double volume ceiling for my 1st storey so the APs are placed on each end of the mezzanine just beyond the void so that the signals can cover the 1st storey. basically if I am in my living room on 1st storey, I can see the APs if I look up.
my floor plate size is about 14m by 7m. 2nd storey AP is placed in a corridor and has no issue with signal coverage for all areas within the storey even with the need for signal to pass through walls.

I would suggest you get hold of your floor plan in section view and try to plan the placements of the APs from there. Try as much as possible to have the APs in the middle of the storey to maximise coverage.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi, I’ve have been thinking of using Ubiquiti for my home wifi and cctvs but having done more reading, im increasingly concerned cos I’m not tech savvy. Right now I’m just using a plu and play mesh system. I can get a service provider to set up Ubiquiti but I’m afraid that if my wifi is down someday, I won’t know how to fix. I dunno things like port forwarding etc ...

So the easiest way is to go back to mesh system. But I know since I’m doing up my house, I should get LAN cables up to the rooms and have WAP to get better wifi. Question is, is there an easier wifi system/ solution for me than Ubiquiti that allows me to take advantage of WAP?

There are a few youtube videos on how to setup your UniFi system. It’s quite simple actually and the system configuration can be done in 2 hours actually, provided you already had all the hardware fully setup and ready to go. 
Do get the cloud key in order to easy access the UniFi’s UI. The UI is very user friendly and not difficult to navigate. 
Mesh system’s coverage and stability is subjective and some people swear by it. One couldn’t tell unless there is a side by side comparison with 2 system installed on a same location to compare between Mesh and AP systems. 

7 hours ago, Topline said:

Hi, I’ve have been thinking of using Ubiquiti for my home wifi and cctvs but having done more reading, im increasingly concerned cos I’m not tech savvy. Right now I’m just using a plu and play mesh system. I can get a service provider to set up Ubiquiti but I’m afraid that if my wifi is down someday, I won’t know how to fix. I dunno things like port forwarding etc ...

So the easiest way is to go back to mesh system. But I know since I’m doing up my house, I should get LAN cables up to the rooms and have WAP to get better wifi. Question is, is there an easier wifi system/ solution for me than Ubiquiti that allows me to take advantage of WAP?

I'm using Asus AiMesh and it's pretty user-friendly and you have a great degree of control. I also have Ethernet ports in every bedroom and family area

Edited by Kellhound

14 hours ago, Kellhound said:

I'm using Asus AiMesh and it's pretty user-friendly and you have a great degree of control. I also have Ethernet ports in every bedroom and family area

A mesh network would not work well in multi storey houses unless you can get line of sight between the nodes and the main router. Wi-Fi signal strength drops when it needs to pass through concrete and along goes the performance. 
It is still better to use multiple access points with dedicated wired back haul for multi storey houses

18 hours ago, snoozee said:

A mesh network would not work well in multi storey houses unless you can get line of sight between the nodes and the main router. Wi-Fi signal strength drops when it needs to pass through concrete and along goes the performance. 
It is still better to use multiple access points with dedicated wired back haul for multi storey houses

I'm using multiple Asus routers which are all using ethernet backhaul. Aimesh is Asus'  mesh network system that turns their routers into APs.

Screenshot 2021-11-06 003820.jpg

7 hours ago, Kellhound said:

I'm using multiple Asus routers which are all using ethernet backhaul. Aimesh is Asus'  mesh network system that turns their routers into APs.

So you are essentially paying for a router but just using as an AP instead. 
not sure how much your routers cost but I think still cheaper to run a POE AP since don’t need to have extra power socket

On 11/4/2021 at 8:36 AM, AWS said:

There are a few youtube videos on how to setup your UniFi system. It’s quite simple actually and the system configuration can be done in 2 hours actually, provided you already had all the hardware fully setup and ready to go. 
Do get the cloud key in order to easy access the UniFi’s UI. The UI is very user friendly and not difficult to navigate. 
Mesh system’s coverage and stability is subjective and some people swear by it. One couldn’t tell unless there is a side by side comparison with 2 system installed on a same location to compare between Mesh and AP systems. 

Not sure about cloud key. From what I’m reading, it seems I will need a Unifi Dream Machine Pro to connect the wifi plus cctvs I have and I would also need a POE switch. I’m not very confident of using the switch ... still trying to learn from YouTube. Also concerned that the switch could be quite noisy cos of fans which are needed if I have many ports.

Where does the OpenNet termination point usually locate in a landed house, meter box or inside the house? 

I am planning for a new bulid. Guess this determines where I should put the router. Thanks.

9 hours ago, Kellhound said:

How many routers do u need? Do u place one in each floor?

1 hour ago, Jack L said:

Where does the OpenNet termination point usually locate in a landed house, meter box or inside the house? 

I am planning for a new bulid. Guess this determines where I should put the router. Thanks.

Meter box for new builds. Your electrical subcon will then lay the fiber from meter box to your internal location where you want the termination point to be. 

do note that if your house already has an existing fiber termination point, you will need to contact opennet to retrieve the cable first to the meter box. Not sure how much they will charge for this. But if you didn’t do so and your contractor cuts the fiber, then later on you will need to pay more than $1k to run a new fiber from the nearest manhole to your meter box. 

and also for single landed house, there is no need to do any fiber readiness certification. 

Edited by snoozee

1 hour ago, Topline said:

Not sure about cloud key. From what I’m reading, it seems I will need a Unifi Dream Machine Pro to connect the wifi plus cctvs I have and I would also need a POE switch. I’m not very confident of using the switch ... still trying to learn from YouTube. Also concerned that the switch could be quite noisy cos of fans which are needed if I have many ports.

A POE switch is just a normal switch which also provides power supply to the devices. Nothing fancy about them. Of cos some more expensive ones come with management software which allows you to turn on/off the POE for individual ports, etc. but if you have no need for these fancy stuff then a basic POE switch which has a power rating for more than what all your devices require will do. 
I’m not sure about the noise level of the ubiquity switch but you can check the technical specifications on the noise level. I have a HP 1920s 24 port POE switch and the noise level is rated at 36db which is hardly noticeable. But I have another HP POE switch which is an older model and this one is very noisy to the extent that I can hear the faint sound of the fans even though the switch is enclosed inside a server rack and inside a room. 

so I think as long as your switch is around 50db or less, it shouldn’t be that noisy at all

On 11/6/2021 at 10:03 AM, Topline said:

How many routers do u need? Do u place one in each floor?

Yes, I have one on each floor. To @snoozee's point. a single POE AP is very likely cheaper than a router. However, in my case, I already had 3 existing Asus Aimesh-compatible routers. In addition, I got another free one by recontracting with M1. Another pro tip is it's cheaper (around 20-25%) to buy Asus routers from Taobao. No warranty though and you need to switch the default Chinese firmware to English in the settings. I

Hi

for landed electrical works and assuming new wiring:

what’s the market rate of these cost:

- light point installation

- double sockets ?

thanks 

Any idea where to buy pop up floor power socket? I searched over the internet for them with Safety Mark, but unable to find. 

2021-12-13_14-49-38.jpg

Edited by Jack L