Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kellhound

Electrical works quote

1 hour ago, Jack L said:

Any idea where to buy pop up floor power socket? I searched over the internet for them with Safety Mark, but unable to find. 

2021-12-13_14-49-38.jpg

verasamy road kim siah electric. i bought my legrand floor box from them. socket is sold separately. do note that if your house requires inspection by SP, you can't have this installed before the inspection as SP doesn't approve floor box installations especially in areas where it may get wet due to washing of floor.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 12/13/2021 at 4:33 PM, snoozee said:

verasamy road kim siah electric. i bought my legrand floor box from them. socket is sold separately. do note that if your house requires inspection by SP, you can't have this installed before the inspection as SP doesn't approve floor box installations especially in areas where it may get wet due to washing of floor.

Thanks for the info. 

On 11/6/2021 at 11:01 AM, snoozee said:

Hi Snoozee, can you please clarify this para? Not sure what you mean. Also, is it better to have OpenNet installation at meter box or inside the house?

“do note that if your house already has an existing fiber termination point, you will need to contact opennet to retrieve the cable first to the meter box. Not sure how much they will charge for this. But if you didn’t do so and your contractor cuts the fiber, then later on you will need to pay more than $1k to run a new fiber from the nearest manhole to your meter box.”

My place had an existing OTP outside at the porch. 
so my electrician ran a fiber cable to where I was going to site my switches and modem under the tiles of my car porch. 
it made it simple for the openet crew. 
Simple job and minimal cost of a couple of hundreds

if you ask them to run and resite their external OTP it will cost more and you may have already finished all your tiling or false ceiling and you end up with external trunking 

Basically if your house is already fiber ready, before demolition works commence, the fiber termination point should be relocated back to the meter box by NLT. Else most contractors will just cut away this fiber point and owners will then need to pay for a new fiber point for their house. 

For new builds, NLT will only terminate their fiber point at the meter box whereas when they were rolling out fiber for houses previously, the fiber point was installed all the way inside the house. 
so basically new builds will need another fiber line done by the contractor to link the NLT fiber point at the meter box to a fiber point inside the house. 

8 minutes ago, petetherock said:

My place had an existing OTP outside at the porch. 
so my electrician ran a fiber cable to where I was going to site my switches and modem under the tiles of my car porch. 
it made it simple for the openet crew. 
Simple job and minimal cost of a couple of hundreds

if you ask them to run and resite their external OTP it will cost more and you may have already finished all your tiling or false ceiling and you end up with external trunking 

NLT will just terminate at the meter box as that is the guidelines for new built. If you want to have a point inside the house then I think can do private arrangement with their contractor or engage own contractor. 
mine was all covered by my electrical subcon and I have new underground lead in pipes for fiber, electricity and spares

Yep 👍 

a spare line is so important 

I ran most of my Electricals in a trunking in my floor

forgot to add a point to light up the side of my garden  sigh ..

Edited by petetherock

1 hour ago, petetherock said:

Yep 👍 

a spare line is so important 

I ran most of my Electricals in a trunking in my floor

forgot to add a point to light up the side of my garden  sigh ..

install solar lights. My gate pillar lights are solar and they can run for almost 12 hours. I recently modified one of my solar garden lights by detaching the solar panel from the LED portion so that I can hang the solar panel at a location where there is sun. After doing that, my garden light now can last throughout the whole night as the single lithium ion battery can be fully charged as there's no plants to obstruct the light.

I’m using solar right now but I prefer some garden lights since it’s a 14m driveway and a nice row of warm lights adds a nice touch .. I have powered gate lights and another at my main post but I had to rely on solar for the middle sections.. poor planning on my part 

just install a few more solar lights and you can get the same effect. buy from taobao will be much much cheaper.

I have wired light points all done up for my garden but nothing connected to them since i relying on solar lights.

On 8/2/2021 at 8:22 PM, AWS said:

Just to add on the POE/CCTV configuration:

A better way is to get a managed switch to power up all your devices, e.g. Security Gateway, Controller UI, Access Points, CCTV, Lan Ports etc. 

Use this managed switch to power up your CCTVs. Buy a NVR without POE capabilities to save cost. From the NVR User Interface, route the IP addresses from all CCTVs via the managed switch to the NVR. In this way, you can located the NVR any where in the house where there is a LAN point and need not be in the network cluster. You only need 1 Lan cable from the wall Lan port to link the NVR and you will be able to control all the CCTVs functions. Of course you will need a small monitor to view all the CCTVs real time video or view playbacks. A good start will be 4T bytes or even 8T to record 4K resolution and up to 30 days recordings. That also has to depend on the number of cameras you going to install. 

Hi, can I check if I want the ability to create separate wifi net work for guests and maybe my kids, I would have to get a managed switch? Unmanaged switch seems easier to manage but I do want these features. Any simple managed switch to recommend?

Also, any quiet NVR to recommend? I’m still looking for an appropriate place to store my NVR… concerned about noise. I can potentially store it in the attic store… so noise will disturb less people but the heat from the roof is a concern then. No air con there.

2 hours ago, Topline said:

Hi, can I check if I want the ability to create separate wifi net work for guests and maybe my kids, I would have to get a managed switch? Unmanaged switch seems easier to manage but I do want these features. Any simple managed switch to recommend?

Also, any quiet NVR to recommend? I’m still looking for an appropriate place to store my NVR… concerned about noise. I can potentially store it in the attic store… so noise will disturb less people but the heat from the roof is a concern then. No air con there.

I am not sure about other brands but my UniFi system is able to allow me to create different WiFi networks with controllable excess. I think other brands should be able to do that too. 
Managed switch has more functionality compared to unmanaged ones. And the price differences is worth it in the long term due to your required functionality. 
If the NVR is quite, it means there is less air flow and good chance the hard disk won’t last long. Unless you are willing to pay much more for SSD. 

23 hours ago, Topline said:

you don't need a managed switch to have different SSIDs/Guest network for your wireless network. It all depends on your feature set of your wireless access point and/or controller. While the price of a managed switch is just a slight premium over non-managed switches, there's no point paying more for something which you don't really need. If you mess up the configuration of a managed switch, you may find yourself with more problems if you don't have the knowledge to reconfigure the switch. Personally I prefer HP network switches as those I bought comes with limited lifetime warranty meaning HP will replace the equipment for free if it fails. I recently just claimed warranty for a network switch which is more than 10 years old.

For NVR, it depends on whether it comes with an inbuilt fan or not. Not every NVR comes with fan so it depends on the particular model. Even if the NVR does come with fan, usually the noise generated from these small 40mm fans will not be substantial unless a server grade fan is used.

if your roof insulation is done properly, the heating up will not be substantial. There will be heat stored and released from the walls but it won't get that bad as the interior of a car parked under the sun for the whole afternoon. All my networking equipment are stored inside a storeroom which is normally closed with no ventilation save for the gaps around door frames. My network switch measures its internal temperature at 38 degrees Celsius which is warm but not that hot to cause equipment death.

15 hours ago, snoozee said:

you don't need a managed switch to have different SSIDs/Guest network for your wireless network. It all depends on your feature set of your wireless access point and/or controller. While the price of a managed switch is just a slight premium over non-managed switches, there's no point paying more for something which you don't really need. If you mess up the configuration of a managed switch, you may find yourself with more problems if you don't have the knowledge to reconfigure the switch. Personally I prefer HP network switches as those I bought comes with limited lifetime warranty meaning HP will replace the equipment for free if it fails. I recently just claimed warranty for a network switch which is more than 10 years old.

For NVR, it depends on whether it comes with an inbuilt fan or not. Not every NVR comes with fan so it depends on the particular model. Even if the NVR does come with fan, usually the noise generated from these small 40mm fans will not be substantial unless a server grade fan is used.

if your roof insulation is done properly, the heating up will not be substantial. There will be heat stored and released from the walls but it won't get that bad as the interior of a car parked under the sun for the whole afternoon. All my networking equipment are stored inside a storeroom which is normally closed with no ventilation save for the gaps around door frames. My network switch measures its internal temperature at 38 degrees Celsius which is warm but not that hot to cause equipment death.

I think I will have about 5-6 CCTVs + 5-6 WAPs. I think the Starhub OTP will be slightly past my main door, into my living room. If I use a fanless switch plus a fanless NVR, then it would be silent right? If so, I dont mind placing them in my living room TV console. But if they make sounds, then it's not great when we have guests in the living room or even when i want to listen to my hifi system in the quiet night.

If they make sounds, i will probably need to leave the router alone at the Starhub OTP point (which I'm covering with a shoe cabinet), then route Cat 6 to my attic storeroom in which i can place the NVR and the switch. If i do so, i prob might as well get a switch and nvr with fans to help cool them since sound is less a factor in my attic.

What do you guys think? 

the OTP does not belong to starhub. it belongs to NLT.

is your OTP going to be in the original location as when it was first installed? when opennet (previous name of NLT) ran cables for landed houses, the termination point is somewhere inside the house as opposed to for new built where the termination point will be inside the meter compartment. I believe you could get NLT to relocate the termination point for you and if they are shifting it to the meter compartment then you would need to get your contractor to run a new fiber from the meter compartment to wherever you want the internal termination point to be.

Of cos you can just leave the OTP where it is now like you mentioned along with the ONT, then run a Cat6 cable to wherever you want to install the other switches and equipment.

Is the DB inside your house? If yes, does it have space to store network equipment and such? Honestly speaking, the location of where the network points will terminate should be decided very early on in the project rather then being left as an afterthought since you will have problems trying to run cables or have to redo finishing just to run the cables. I'm not sure how many network points you are planning to have but assuming you are going to have 2 points for each bedroom and 2 for living room, that will be a total of 14 points for 6 bedrooms and the living room. Adding on to your 6 POE CCTV points you are looking at at least 20 Cat6 cables. I can tell you that trying to hide 20 Cat6 cables is not going to be easy and if you are planning to have the termination point in your living room, then you will need to find a way to hide the big ugly trunking for the Cat6 cables. For my house, I am using those big trunking for aircon pipes to house my network cables before they go inside my server rack.

And don't be so overly concerned about having no fan or heat issues. Like I mentioned, your roof attic is unlikely going to heat up to temperatures like 60 or 70 degrees so even if the equipment runs at around 40 degrees Celsius will still be ok. Equipment and hard drives for NVR don't last forever so you will need to replace them eventually

• Like 1