Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kellhound

Electrical works quote

I see. So from each room, there is a network point. In the study for example, would you be able to plug in to that network point directly (LAN) using your PC? In the bedroom, what device would you connect to the network point to have wifi?

Is there any concern that these network cables in the walls/ ceilings would need replacement (worn out or too slow) in the future? Possible to replace without having to hack?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
6 minutes ago, Topline said:

I see. So from each room, there is a network point. In the study for example, would you be able to plug in to that network point directly (LAN) using your PC? In the bedroom, what device would you connect to the network point to have wifi?

Is there any concern that these network cables in the walls/ ceilings would need replacement (worn out or too slow) in the future? Possible to replace without having to hack?

yes. all my rooms have network points. it is also mandatory for new houses under IMDA's regulations.

i put in 2 or 3 network points in each room for connection to LAN for desktop PC or for fiber TV. I also have printer connected via the network as well so i can send print jobs from my laptop to the printer.

the network point in my ceilings are for connecting to wireless access points to cast the wifi network.

Cat 6 wires will support 1Gbps and even 10Gbps on shorter runs. if you got extra money, can always run Cat 7 cables but I don't see the need for my house. The Cat 6 cable should be able to last me for the foreseeable future unless there is a huge improvement in network technology. Even streaming 4K movies on a 1Gbps network is good enough already so it is unlikely the Cat6 cable will be obsolete.

The cables are normally run inside conduits and they won't be damaged unless they are already damaged during the installation or you have rats in your house chewing away at the cables. depending on how your conduits are being run, there may not be a need to hack to replace the cables since the installer can push the wire pulling guide through the conduits. if there's too many bends and junctions, then there will be a need to open up the ceiling to open these junction boxes so that the wire guide can be routed to the correct conduit.

7 hours ago, snoozee said:

for multi storey landed houses, one WIFI router will never be enough to cover all storeys. the best is to have wireless access points for every storey to provide the WIFI coverage. I have one access point for each upper storeys and two in my mezzanine to provide coverage for mezzanine and first storey.

yes, SP wholesale price is way better than all other providers. the only "downside" is because there is no locked-in tariff, it is subjected to market (oil) prices compared to other providers which locks in the price for a fixed number of months.

Just to share my home network set up with PBX, CCTV recorder, WIFI controller/POE switch all housed nicely inside a server rack. might be overkill but I prefer to have all the things housed nicely for easier maintenance.

IMG_7353.jpg

Hi Snoozee, where do you house your server rack? On which floor? I'm planning a central hub as well but still deciding where to put it.

7 hours ago, yoongf said:

Use just 1 DB box. If **** happens, u run to just 1 place to troubleshoot. U maybe familar with troubleahooting, other family members may not.

Use tracklights instead of 6inch led downlights. Downlights require testpen to change the driver. If not familar with testpen, each swap is a $40 handiman charge. Tracklights are just plug n play connection. E27 holders on tracklights even better.

Cove lighting is mood lighting and can rarely be used as general lighting. Strip LED lumen output is abt 3x lower than fluorescent extra bright tubes. U will need multiple rows of strip to get the same fluorescent tube effect.

Plan your wifi router location properly and wire up that location. Cat 7 cables makes a big difference if u are a gamer and 1ms latency is critical. Cat7 has a length limitation, so siting yr data Patch panel location is also crucial.

When buying china stuff from Taobao, avoid the cheaper no brand stuff. NVC and OPPLE are  serious china brands with more selection than Philips. 

If u use SP wholesale electric price plan, solar panels will never breakeven financially. 

Car porch. .. put tracklights and light up your parked car as if its a motorshow event. Cater for some E27 holders and install those smart bulbs with candle flame features. Yr carporch can either be a disco or a campfire for your neighbour entertainment.

Thanks for the lighting tips!

Edited by Kellhound

19 minutes ago, Kellhound said:

Hi Snoozee, where do you house your server rack? On which floor? I'm planning a central hub as well but still deciding where to put it.

i have a storeroom of about 2m by 1.6m on my mezzanine floor where the DB is also located. my fiber OTP is also located in the same room as well. I designed the electrical and networking components to have all cables terminated inside this room so that i can have all services inside this room for ease of maintenance. As the server rack is about 600mm wide, it took up about 1/3 of the storeroom space.

for the server rack, it should be housed near where the fiber OTP is located. NLT terminated their fiber point at my meterbox and my electrician got a subcontractor to run the fiber from the meterbox to inside my storeroom.

note that if your OTP inside the house is owned by NLT (with opennet logo), you are not allowed to relocate it as that doesn't belong to you. you will need to get NLT to relocate it for you for a fee. if the fiber is damaged, you will need to ay NLT to fix it for you. the worst case is that the whole fiber needs to be replaced and NLT may need to dig up the road to pull the new line in for you.

37 minutes ago, snoozee said:

i have a storeroom of about 2m by 1.6m on my mezzanine floor where the DB is also located. my fiber OTP is also located in the same room as well. I designed the electrical and networking components to have all cables terminated inside this room so that i can have all services inside this room for ease of maintenance. As the server rack is about 600mm wide, it took up about 1/3 of the storeroom space.

for the server rack, it should be housed near where the fiber OTP is located. NLT terminated their fiber point at my meterbox and my electrician got a subcontractor to run the fiber from the meterbox to inside my storeroom.

note that if your OTP inside the house is owned by NLT (with opennet logo), you are not allowed to relocate it as that doesn't belong to you. you will need to get NLT to relocate it for you for a fee. if the fiber is damaged, you will need to ay NLT to fix it for you. the worst case is that the whole fiber needs to be replaced and NLT may need to dig up the road to pull the new line in for you.

What sort of cooling/ventilation do you have for this room?

1 hour ago, Kellhound said:

Thanks for the lighting tips!

Links are not allowed here

just google for Pete’s write for my posts on setting up a network with Google mesh

you can use many alternatives but make sure there’s Ethernet backhaul. Best to do some homework on this first ..

3 minutes ago, Kellhound said:

haha. nothing. the equipment don't generate that much heat to warrant for additional cooling/ventilation

Do you guys engage a company (integrator) to do your CCTV or do you buy the equipment, tell the electrician where to lay the cables and install the cams, and set up yourself?

22 minutes ago, Kellhound said:

I also use my storeroom under the stairs 

natural ventilation 

1 hour ago, Kellhound said:

Do you guys engage a company (integrator) to do your CCTV or do you buy the equipment, tell the electrician where to lay the cables and install the cams, and set up yourself?

if you want to have a integrator to do it for you, you must engage them early so that all the points can be marked out and cables pulled by your electrician later or by the integrator during the renovation. this is especially if the conduits needs to pass through walls and be hidden inside false ceilings.

i planned the CCTV positions for my house. marked out on plan where the points should be so that the conduits can be laid to the locations and Cat 6 wires pulled through. My electrician's workers help me mount the CCTV brackets but I installed and configured the CCTVs myself so that I can adjust the camera angles to my liking.

Get a POE system and it will save you headaches from needing to pull additional power points for the cameras. I had bought the cameras and recorder on aliexpress during the 11/11 sale

2 hours ago, snoozee said:

if you want to have a integrator to do it for you, you must engage them early so that all the points can be marked out and cables pulled by your electrician later or by the integrator during the renovation. this is especially if the conduits needs to pass through walls and be hidden inside false ceilings.

i planned the CCTV positions for my house. marked out on plan where the points should be so that the conduits can be laid to the locations and Cat 6 wires pulled through. My electrician's workers help me mount the CCTV brackets but I installed and configured the CCTVs myself so that I can adjust the camera angles to my liking.

Get a POE system and it will save you headaches from needing to pull additional power points for the cameras. I had bought the cameras and recorder on aliexpress during the 11/11 sale

Yes I am planning on getting POE cameras. Leaning towards Hikvision as they supposedly have better night vision (?). I also want to install them myself as it seems rather straightforward to me but just wanted to check if there are any potential complications or blind spots I'm missing.

51 minutes ago, Topline said:

Hi Snoozee, can you recommend a good CCTV?

One of the top brands is Hikvision. I’m using the brand Dahua which reviews mentioned it is comparable to Hikvision but at a lower cost. 
I bought 6Mega Pixel cameras which provides good enough image. There are 8MP or even 4K cameras now but these cost double the price of the 6MP ones.

I would highly recommend to get those POE cameras with a POE network video recorder with at least 4TB of storage. 

3 minutes ago, Kellhound said:

Yes I am planning on getting POE cameras. Leaning towards Hikvision as they supposedly have better night vision (?). I also want to install them myself as it seems rather straightforward to me but just wanted to check if there are any potential complications or blind spots I'm missing.

I’m using dahua. Night vision is also quite good. 
just be careful when installing the cameras. I managed to kill one camera by accidentally ripping the ribbon cable when adjusting the camera angle. Luckily managed to find replacement cable on taobao to repair the camera. 

when you choose the cameras, do take note of the focal length of the lens as this determines how wide an angle your camera can cover.  Of cos there are also cameras with adjustable focus but these will be more expensive then those with fixed focus.

i suggest you do some research online on positioning of cameras as well as the coverage so that you can work out how many cameras you will need as well as the lens type that is needed