Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kellhound

Electrical works quote

23 minutes ago, snoozee said:

One of the top brands is Hikvision. I’m using the brand Dahua which reviews mentioned it is comparable to Hikvision but at a lower cost. 
I bought 6Mega Pixel cameras which provides good enough image. There are 8MP or even 4K cameras now but these cost double the price of the 6MP ones.

I would highly recommend to get those POE cameras with a POE network video recorder with at least 4TB of storage. 

6MP is pretty good already 😀 The higher res you go, the more HDD space you need. How's the software interface for Dahua? Are you able to access live view remotely? Do you go through Dahua's server?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
21 minutes ago, Kellhound said:

6MP is pretty good already 😀 The higher res you go, the more HDD space you need. How's the software interface for Dahua? Are you able to access live view remotely? Do you go through Dahua's server?

Interface is quite ok. Not very complex. As I had never installed cctv before, I had problems getting the cameras to register with the recorder. But once I found the way to do it, it was very strait forward. Tedious part was having to run to and fro between cameras and monitor to check out the camera angle when installing as I didn’t configure the mobile app from the start. 

there is a generic app which can be used to connect to view the cameras. There’s no connection to cloud servers and I can access the live view and recorded videos directly from the recorder on my mobile phone remotely.

1 hour ago, snoozee said:

Interface is quite ok. Not very complex. As I had never installed cctv before, I had problems getting the cameras to register with the recorder. But once I found the way to do it, it was very strait forward. Tedious part was having to run to and fro between cameras and monitor to check out the camera angle when installing as I didn’t configure the mobile app from the start. 

there is a generic app which can be used to connect to view the cameras. There’s no connection to cloud servers and I can access the live view and recorded videos directly from the recorder on my mobile phone remotely.

Any need to have fixed domain for remote live view?

Are these the cameras and DVR you bought?

Dahua 6mp camera.jpg

dahua 8ch dvr.jpg

9 hours ago, Kellhound said:

Any need to have fixed domain for remote live view?

Are these the cameras and DVR you bought?

no need for any fixed domain/IP for the remove live view. I think the NVR sends it's public IP periodically to the dahua servers such that they keep a record of the NVR's current address and hence you can use the app to connect remotely. You will need to allow some ports to be open on your router/firewall though. Always set a strong password for the NVR such that they can't be accessed by anyone else using the default password.

i bought those cameras with glass domes. felt that they look slightly better than the one you found. my NVR is only up to 6MP since my cameras are 6MP. just make sure that the NVR has more than enough POE ports for the number of cameras you need

3 hours ago, snoozee said:

no need for any fixed domain/IP for the remove live view. I think the NVR sends it's public IP periodically to the dahua servers such that they keep a record of the NVR's current address and hence you can use the app to connect remotely. You will need to allow some ports to be open on your router/firewall though. Always set a strong password for the NVR such that they can't be accessed by anyone else using the default password.

i bought those cameras with glass domes. felt that they look slightly better than the one you found. my NVR is only up to 6MP since my cameras are 6MP. just make sure that the NVR has more than enough POE ports for the number of cameras you need

Do your cameras have upgradeable English (Global) firmware? I noticed that some of the Dahua cameras are actually meant for use only in China but Aliexpress sellers install a "hacked" English version of the firmware to sell overseas. They explicitly say that the firmware cannot be upgraded.

If you have managed switch with POE+ in your network, just buy the NVR without POE. This will save some cost. With all cameras connect to the switch, you can route the signal to a lan port (which also connected to the switch) in turn connected to the NVR to view all camera view.

The Dahua NVR software UI is in English. I bought my full CCTV system locally where most contractors also buy to install for customers. Their price is also much cheaper from what you can find in Shopee or Lazada. PM for contact sharing. Warranty is covered for 1 year. There are many types of camera specs. From experience, night operation is more important than day. Any 4MP and above day operation is very clear already. The challenge is night operations. Full night color or IR kicks in under a certain LUX threshold. One has to decide carefully else night capture image will be blur.

2 hours ago, Kellhound said:

Do your cameras have upgradeable English (Global) firmware? I noticed that some of the Dahua cameras are actually meant for use only in China but Aliexpress sellers install a "hacked" English version of the firmware to sell overseas. They explicitly say that the firmware cannot be upgraded.

didn't bother with the firmware. i go with the belief that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"
so i just use what's out of the box

9 hours ago, AWS said:

If you have managed switch with POE+ in your network, just buy the NVR without POE. This will save some cost. With all cameras connect to the switch, you can route the signal to a lan port (which also connected to the switch) in turn connected to the NVR to view all camera view.

The Dahua NVR software UI is in English. I bought my full CCTV system locally where most contractors also buy to install for customers. Their price is also much cheaper from what you can find in Shopee or Lazada. PM for contact sharing. Warranty is covered for 1 year. There are many types of camera specs. From experience, night operation is more important than day. Any 4MP and above day operation is very clear already. The challenge is night operations. Full night color or IR kicks in under a certain LUX threshold. One has to decide carefully else night capture image will be blur.

Hi, tried to PM you but you can't receive messages?

Hi

Do you guys use AC or DC motor for your autogate? It seems DC motors opens/closes faster but a salesman (who's selling AC) told me that AC motors are stronger in term of power and will last longer. There is no carbon involved. DC motor lifespan is shorter as the carbon have limited lifespan. Any truth in that?

2 hours ago, Kellhound said:

Hi

Do you guys use AC or DC motor for your autogate? It seems DC motors opens/closes faster but a salesman (who's selling AC) told me that AC motors are stronger in term of power and will last longer. There is no carbon involved. DC motor lifespan is shorter as the carbon have limited lifespan. Any truth in that?

well, nothing lasts forever. if i'm selling only creamy peanut butter i would say creamy peanut butter is much better than crunchy peanut butter right? no salesman would say their product is no good unless they are selling both types of products and can provide failure statistics from their clients.

pay a bit more for the motor/mechanism which are made in europe rather in china. previously i had gotten quotes for sliding gates and the motor mechanism pricing is about 50% more (few hundred dollars) for Italian vs China system. But i ended up doing swing gates instead.

make sure that the motor mechanism is rated for more than what your gate weighs. if your motor/mechanism is undersized, wear and tear will happen much faster and reduce the lifespan of the parts. for safety, opt to install the photo sensor which stops the gate when obstruction is detected.

if you need additional remotes, can order online or from taobao. much much cheaper than getting from the gate supplier. very easy to configure the remotes as long as you buy the correct type as there are 2 different frequencies being used for auto gates in SG.

On 4/14/2021 at 12:46 PM, snoozee said:

the network point in my ceilings are for connecting to wireless access points to cast the wifi network.

Hi Snoozee, what would you need to connect to this wireless access point to have wifi in the room ... sorry, a novice here...

I’m using something from Ranger

just make sure the cabling is ok. Expect to replace the motor in due course 

keep the phone numbers handy 

remember to site the receiver where you can aim as you drive home  

1 hour ago, Topline said:

Hi Snoozee, what would you need to connect to this wireless access point to have wifi in the room ... sorry, a novice here...

if your wireless access point has power over ethernet (POE), then you just need a cat 6 lan cable to connect it to the POE switch. the POE switch will then be connected to the router.

if your access point don't have POE, then you need to pull another 13A socket near the AP to provide power to the AP. cat 6 cable is also needed.

8 hours ago, snoozee said:

if your wireless access point has power over ethernet (POE), then you just need a cat 6 lan cable to connect it to the POE switch. the POE switch will then be connected to the router.

if your access point don't have POE, then you need to pull another 13A socket near the AP to provide power to the AP. cat 6 cable is also needed.

Yes, POE is a must. What brand/model of AP are you using? I've a friend who went all the way to using UBIQUITI UniFi Dream Machine Pro for his house wifi.