Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kellhound

Electrical works quote

20 minutes ago, Kellhound said:

Yes, POE is a must. What brand/model of AP are you using? I've a friend who went all the way to using UBIQUITI UniFi Dream Machine Pro for his house wifi.

I was planning to use Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC-PRO as when I started planning for my house, the prices from taobao was very attractive at less than $200 per unit. But when I wanted to buy it, the price had gone up to more expensive than SG price. I was going to just buy from SG when I found some HP access points from ebay. at $60 per AP after shipping, it was a very attractive price. But I didn't do my homework properly as the HP access points can't work as stand alone APs and need to be used in conjunction with a HP access controller. So in the end, I had to spend another $300 to buy the access controller from ebay. So all in all, I spent just under $600 for my home WIFI setup. The only thing "wasted" is that the original HP POE switch which I had purchased earlier for the POE APs is not used since the HP access controller comes is also a 24 port POE switch which.

One reason I do not mind buying used enterprise grade equipment from HP is that they come with limited lifetime warranty. So in the event the equipment fails, HP is obliged to replace another piece of equipment for me FOC.

I'm using a firewall router from Ubiquiti as well. I went with an off the shelf device rather than building my own firewall/router due to the power consumption considerations.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

These look pretty nice but they only have Chinese firmware. Around RMB375 each. It's a gigE wall point as well as a AX1800 wifi6 AP.

O1CN01mmFKls1gtBgRrOJKj_!!2206806614199.jpeg

O1CN01eTRMRL1gtBgRSiJYQ_!!2206806614199.jpeg

Edited by Kellhound

16 hours ago, snoozee said:

I was planning to use Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC-PRO as when I started planning for my house, the prices from taobao was very attractive at less than $200 per unit. But when I wanted to buy it, the price had gone up to more expensive than SG price. I was going to just buy from SG when I found some HP access points from ebay. at $60 per AP after shipping, it was a very attractive price. But I didn't do my homework properly as the HP access points can't work as stand alone APs and need to be used in conjunction with a HP access controller. So in the end, I had to spend another $300 to buy the access controller from ebay. So all in all, I spent just under $600 for my home WIFI setup. The only thing "wasted" is that the original HP POE switch which I had purchased earlier for the POE APs is not used since the HP access controller comes is also a 24 port POE switch which.

One reason I do not mind buying used enterprise grade equipment from HP is that they come with limited lifetime warranty. So in the event the equipment fails, HP is obliged to replace another piece of equipment for me FOC.

I'm using a firewall router from Ubiquiti as well. I went with an off the shelf device rather than building my own firewall/router due to the power consumption considerations.

I was interested in the enterprise APs as well but was concerned whether I would need the same brand controller or if I could use my 3rd party router to control them

2 hours ago, Kellhound said:

I was interested in the enterprise APs as well but was concerned whether I would need the same brand controller or if I could use my 3rd party router to control them

You need to check if the APs can work stand alone or not. If they can then no need to use another controller for them. You can just connect them to your switch or router and pass the traffic through. Control will be directly through the configuration interface of the access point 

Looking at what you guys are doing, I’m also keen to install this enterprise wireless network. Did some reading online and it seems Ubiquiti is easiest for a novice like me? They have this wall mounted access point that can be used for wifi and LAN... which I think is very neat. Anyone considering that?

5 minutes ago, Topline said:

Looking at what you guys are doing, I’m also keen to install this enterprise wireless network. Did some reading online and it seems Ubiquiti is easiest for a novice like me? They have this wall mounted access point that can be used for wifi and LAN... which I think is very neat. Anyone considering that?

Wall mounted AP is more for when there are existing LAN points on the wall but no LAN points in the ceiling. Performance wise, ceiling mounted would be better than wall mounted due to how the signals are cast. 
since you are renovating your house just pull points for ceiling and use ceiling mounted AP.

16 minutes ago, Topline said:

Ceiling mounted AP can look neat too. Ubiquiti is a good system. The controller’s UI is easy to configure. Don’t go WiFi 6 yet as it’s still very new. Their support from US is good too although you may bought the system locally through distributor. 

4 hours ago, snoozee said:

Wall mounted AP is more for when there are existing LAN points on the wall but no LAN points in the ceiling. Performance wise, ceiling mounted would be better than wall mounted due to how the signals are cast. 
since you are renovating your house just pull points for ceiling and use ceiling mounted AP.

But does that mean I would need another LAN point on the wall for wired connection to my PC ... the wall mounted unit is attractive cos it combines the wireless AP with a secondary Ethernet port.

4 hours ago, AWS said:

Ceiling mounted AP can look neat too. Ubiquiti is a good system. The controller’s UI is easy to configure. Don’t go WiFi 6 yet as it’s still very new. Their support from US is good too although you may bought the system locally through distributor. 

I was considering WIFI 6 since it is the latest. What’s the risk of going for it?

Btw, I am still trying to see how many ports I need for the switch but I think I will need to have a few security cameras, and one port to connect to each room. Does the switch get hot? I have not provided for a server room ... can the router, the switch etc be stored in a cabinet... I can probably find a place in the cabinet on my first floor for it.

8 hours ago, Topline said:

But does that mean I would need another LAN point on the wall for wired connection to my PC ... the wall mounted unit is attractive cos it combines the wireless AP with a secondary Ethernet port.

A dedicated LAN point is always better than going through another device. Connection speed will be reduced for your PC when the Wi-Fi is also being used for the shared access point. 
just imagine two cars need to go from point A to point B. Having two separate lanes is better and faster than having just one lane

as mentioned, since you are doing renovations, just pull as many points as you need now. You can never have enough points

I was considering WIFI 6 since it is the latest. What’s the risk of going for it?

Paying more for something which many devices does have or support yet

Btw, I am still trying to see how many ports I need for the switch but I think I will need to have a few security cameras, and one port to connect to each room. Does the switch get hot? I have not provided for a server room ... can the router, the switch etc be stored in a cabinet... I can probably find a place in the cabinet on my first floor for it.

Work out how many lan points you need first for your TV, PC, printers, media boxes, access points, CCTV, etc. you can then decide to have a POE switch for all of these devices or have a separate POE network recorder for your CCTV. Plan for more than 1 port for each room as you need for pc connection and tv as well

a network switch will generate some heat so a fully enclosed cabinet isn’t recommended. At least have some vent holes for the cabinet. 

You need to decide where to terminate all the lan cables as well as this is where the switch will be located. Ideally it should be in the same location as where your fiber termination point is at so your other router and ONT for fiber broadband is also in the same place

Try not to locate your NVR in the same network cluster. Reason being if there’s a break in, most likely the thieves will first target the NVR. With a switch, you can locate your NVR any where in the house where there is a LAN port located. You can even hide it in the ceiling too. You just need to bring the other cables (HDMI, USB, CAT6 patch cord) from the NVR to a your study table or shelves etc. The other route for secured NVR data is go for cloud hosting.