Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kellhound

Electrical works quote

14 minutes ago, Topline said:

Also, roughly how much space does your server rack occupy. Would like to see if I can fit something like this into one of my cabinets.

My server rack is 600mm wide x 1000mm deep x 2100mm tall. This is a full sized server rack usually used in data centers.

600mm wide is minimum as the normal rack mounted equipments will be around 500mm wide. There are also wider, shorter and less deep ones as well. Some small ones can be mounted on the wall near the ceiling as well

E2AE52FC-7BF8-4378-9727-7C0CFA0D401D.jpeg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Is there anything special about a server rack? compared to any shelf? Eg. cooling fan.

just wondering if I can simply put the switch etc into an existing cabinet without getting a rack.

2 hours ago, snoozee said:

Need to have a normal phone line subscription or plug in the digital phone line also can. But also depends on the model of the PBX system. I’m using a system from Panasonic 

Why didn’t you just use cordless phones with additional handsets? I’m thinking of just doing that with one handset per floor. Would that suffice?

24 minutes ago, Topline said:

Is there anything special about a server rack? compared to any shelf? Eg. cooling fan.

just wondering if I can simply put the switch etc into an existing cabinet without getting a rack.

yes there are cooling fans that can be installed on top to extract the hot air.

a server rack has standard sized mounting brackets for my networking equipment to mount to. also all my network cables are terminated onto a patch panel and then patch cords are used to connect the network switch to the network points on the patch panel. it just makes things neater and easier to maintain for me. also i have a rack mounted backup battery for my networking equipment, CCTV and video doorbell/intercom system as well.

of cos you can do put your equipment anywhere you wish to. just that having 20 to 30 cables to manage is not going to be easy to organise and maintain. ultimately, it's up to individual preference. 

27 minutes ago, Topline said:

Why didn’t you just use cordless phones with additional handsets? I’m thinking of just doing that with one handset per floor. Would that suffice?

it's due to the amount of phones (total 7 units) I need as well as having the broadcast functionality that I chose my Panasonic PBX. I can't possibly charge a cordless phone in my lift as well.

The number of handsets you need really depends on your own family needs. I have one for each room and lift so the PBX which I got is just nice since it can support up to 8 extensions.

On 4/25/2021 at 7:28 AM, snoozee said:

As long as you can get your wiring to the gate, it’s not an issue

How would the wiring connect to a sliding gate? The wiring would need to have slack for almost the entire length of the gate when it opens?

12 minutes ago, Kellhound said:

How would the wiring connect to a sliding gate? The wiring would need to have slack for almost the entire length of the gate when it opens?

this would be challenging. not sure if anyone in the market has done a sliding gate with built in electronic pedestrian gate or not.

but technically it can be done as long as you have a way to do the cable management. maybe some kind of wiring which is stretchable like telephone cords can be used or a cable reel which releases and collects the cable as the gate is closed/opened. also most electronic pedestrian gates uses an electronic rim lock so the thickness of the rim lock needs to be considered as well.

Are there companies who help to set up these server racks for LAN points, wifi and CCTVs? Suspect i will need help.... How much do they charge? Any recommendations?

2 hours ago, Topline said:

Are there companies who help to set up these server racks for LAN points, wifi and CCTVs? Suspect i will need help.... How much do they charge? Any recommendations?

I DIY all these myself.

if you want to find someone, must find a system integrator who can do both trades. else need to get 2 different contractors. I suggest you search online and then short list the possible companies and get them down to do a site survey. cos the network design must be done first so that you can get your electrician to lay the cables unless your system integrator can run the cables for you. check with your main contractor or electrician to see if they have any contacts. usually easier to work with someone whom they already know so easier to coordinate the works.

Guys, do you connect your CCTVs to some kind of alarm? or just pure surveillance? I dont intend to get an ongoing security company subscription and am looking at alternatives.

3 hours ago, Topline said:

Guys, do you connect your CCTVs to some kind of alarm? or just pure surveillance? I dont intend to get an ongoing security company subscription and am looking at alternatives.

First of all, I'm not an expert on this topic.

Just thinking to share a cheap DIY method which I've tried in HDB flat.

Get a cheap or your old android phone. Search in Playstore for IP Webcam & follow the app's instruction. Get timer power switch to charge the old phone with set timing.

With this I think you can place the old phone any where. either on a phone tripod or attach to wall. I think you also can use multiple old phone all over the house for various rooms.

So whenever you want to monitor what's happening, just check your daily usage phone. All phone will be connected through your home's wifi.

This is relatively cheap & a way to recycle your old phones. If image quality is a concern, then just get another old phone with better cam.

The app also support 2-way audio.

Edited by 3Cube
added infor

Hi,

Does anyone have local contacts to buy direct for Viro or Cisa electric locks for side gate? A few I contacted wanted sell at $800-$1000 that includes installation. I believe the lock costs around $200+ and power supply ($20-$30) based on what I see on overseas online shops. My electrician is already laying the wiring to the gate so I find the $800 labour charge just to install and wire to my intercom quite exorbitant.

38 minutes ago, Kellhound said:

Hi,

Does anyone have local contacts to buy direct for Viro or Cisa electric locks for side gate? A few I contacted wanted sell at $800-$1000 that includes installation. I believe the lock costs around $200+ and power supply ($20-$30) based on what I see on overseas online shops. My electrician is already laying the wiring to the gate so I find the $800 labour charge just to install and wire to my intercom quite exorbitant.

lock is $160. Search online for duro dot com dot sg 

power supply can buy from the major online shopping sites unless you want to buy those with backup battery and connection back into the house for remote operation

Try Amazon. Change country to Germany with English language. Then change shipping address to Singapore. 
Try search CISA 1A731. It’s only under €100 including shipping. 
The bulk of the $800-$1000 mostly come under the labour. Labour cost is a killer in Singapore now. My builder installed for me FOC under the cost of the gate system. 
The lock body and striker needs welding to your metal gate frame to be strong. Coupled to the intercom and CCTV system, you can have great flexibility on persons entering and exiting your property, ie, when you have a parcel delivery or collection when no one is home. And with the WiFi model intercom system, you don’t need a key to enter. Just swipe unlock on the intercom app.

before deciding on which rim lock to buy, look at the design of your side gate and the frame/wall first. if your side gate and frame/wall has the faces in line with each other(on the inside), then the Viro or Cisa lock which AWS recommended would work. but if you have gate which has its face not in line with the frame/wall, then the Cisa lock which AWS recommended can't work since you can't mount the strike at the side of the gate frame or wall. Even for the Viro rim lock, you will have to find creative ways to mount the strike plate as well.

for my house, the gate and frame/wall is not in line so I had to do some modifications for the rim lock to work properly.

2021-06-23_9-32-48.jpg.fd4e9155c731b912dcfeb0bdd4971ba6.jpg

• Like 1