Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Normal. My in-laws place has an inspection chamber in the kitchen. 
my inspection chamber was shifted outside the house when I rebuilt.

as long as the cover is tight, there won’t be any issues with smells etc

do note that there is a difference between manhole and inspection chamber. Manhole cover is round while a inspection chamber cover is rectangle

a manhole is normally for a main sewer pipe whereas an inspection chamber is for your house waste pipes to connect to it before being connected to the main public sewer pipe

Nothing illegal with having an IC inside the house. 
just get your contractor to open up to take a look during renovation to check the condition and see whether there’s any cracks. Cos if there’s cracks and sewage is leaking into the soil, owner has the responsibility to fix the issues

6 hours ago, Kellhound said:

You have to also make sure that it is always accessible (by right), meaning you can't build over it e.g. build a cabinet over it.

Can la. Just have to remove the obstructions if need to access the IC.
One of my neighbours sealed up the public manhole located inside his house by tiling over it which is not supposed to be done. SIP shows the manhole location and indicates that the manhole is buried. Even PUB can’t do anything (for now) about it and my contractor had to use another manhole located much further away to access the sewer to perform CCTV inspection.

8 hours ago, snoozee said:

Can la. Just have to remove the obstructions if need to access the IC.
One of my neighbours sealed up the public manhole located inside his house by tiling over it which is not supposed to be done. SIP shows the manhole location and indicates that the manhole is buried. Even PUB can’t do anything (for now) about it and my contractor had to use another manhole located much further away to access the sewer to perform CCTV inspection.

I would agree but it's low risk and not no risk😀