Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dennyon

Polygon Finishing - Any Clues?

There's this ID who said that all their carpentry uses polygon as the interior instead of the normal PVC. Actually, what is this polygon thing? Anyone knows? According to what I know, it costs more, but is it better? Some say it's paper... though it doesn't sound like paper to me. :)

I read the hear see comments and remark from forumers here and think most were mislead by their ID or it could be the designer do not have sufficient knowledge on the material.

Polykem has a very smooth surface than PVC. Its cost is slightly more expensive than PVC. Even though some people used polykem for interior of cabinet but still the edge (thickness of the wood) is still using PVC; so it is still not 100% polykem. Generally, Polykem is a normal ply coated with polyeurethene material. It is not for use of interior of cabinet but use for spray paint finishes as it has a smooth and prepared surface ready for used. Just wonder why no ID recommend spray paint finish for carpentry work? sigh... where are their innovation? ID uses this tactic to swing their sales as polykem has very smooth surface than PVC. However the cons are as follows :

a. Polykem has a smell hardly detected by human unless in large quantity. These smell invite insect esp cockroaches.

b. Polykem turns yellowish after some time especially come in tact with water.

c. Polykem discharge powder which almost invisible to human eye. A simple experiment is to use a fine sand paper or even a paper to rub the surface few times and you should be able to see the powder. Can you imagine those "polykem" kitchen cabinet which store their utensil, and that the powder drop onto the utensil and not treated before using? You should have a "Jia Liao" dishes.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I sw my neighbour wardrobe, the inside is brownish in colour, is that call polykem? Normally the wood inside the wardrobe or cabinet is white colour.

if u have an open concept WIW, beta to use polyken, else there seems to be a misorientation of ur exterior design with those white col shelving. :dancingqueen:

I read the hear see comments and remark from forumers here and think most were mislead by their ID or it could be the designer do not have sufficient knowledge on the material.

Polykem has a very smooth surface than PVC. Its cost is slightly more expensive than PVC. Even though some people used polykem for interior of cabinet but still the edge (thickness of the wood) is still using PVC; so it is still not 100% polykem. Generally, Polykem is a normal ply coated with polyeurethene material. It is not for use of interior of cabinet but use for spray paint finishes as it has a smooth and prepared surface ready for used. Just wonder why no ID recommend spray paint finish for carpentry work? sigh... where are their innovation? ID uses this tactic to swing their sales as polykem has very smooth surface than PVC. However the cons are as follows :

a. Polykem has a smell hardly detected by human unless in large quantity. These smell invite insect esp cockroaches.

b. Polykem turns yellowish after some time especially come in tact with water.

c. Polykem discharge powder which almost invisible to human eye. A simple experiment is to use a fine sand paper or even a paper to rub the surface few times and you should be able to see the powder. Can you imagine those "polykem" kitchen cabinet which store their utensil, and that the powder drop onto the utensil and not treated before using? You should have a "Jia Liao" dishes.

Bro,

Innovation comes with a price..... spray paint finish's cost price from direct spray painter is @ $23/sqft Are you prepared to pay such price?

Most interior of customised plywood furniture uses white pvc or white polygon,

White PVC plywood comes with single or double sides ranging from 3mm ply to 25mm thk

white polygon is normally 3mm thk; additional works for carpenter to glue it to normal ply to get the desire thickness.

White polygon has a layer of plastic lamination, hence it cannot be spray painted on it. the ply do turns yellowish after some yrs. The good pt that is better than white pvc is not it won't peel off easily and can withstand minor moisture.

plwood comes in different grade, different country and different types; like marine ply, fire-rated ply and the normal plywood; solid or BBCC ply.

knock-down furniture in normally coloured pvc laminated chipboard like the shelving ply which is lighter than MDF bd which is heavier and use as in coffee table in painting finishing.

The external finishing of customised plywood furniture as in wardrobe in normally high pressure lamination with choices of solid colours to various printing, texture - gloss, matt or with timber like grains.

There is another type of lamination that look like high pressure lamination is polyster where u get to see at most furniture shop. Like the white polygon, it turns yellowish after some yrs.

My WIW used polygon. Exposed surface with white PVC looks wierd. The interior of my custom made night table also used polygon.

Personally I thought polygon looks nicer than white PVC.

Hi,

Is there coloured pvc or colored polyken? And what are the color options?

Thinking of having a coloured kitchen cabinet interior.

However, ID says it is only achievable using laminate and it is an overkill since noboby else will see it except the owners.

Agree tat it is not a necessity but is definitely a nice touch to the owner. So would like to know the available options and not to be brushed off by the ID just becos it is easier for them to use white PVC.

Is my understanding correct that -- pvc is the cheapest, followed by polyken and laminate being the most expensive?

Thanks.

so far, I don't see any coloured pvc and polygen in customised furniture.

I used white colour high pressure laminates on the shelving of my kitchen cabinet; only the top side surface so that it is more durable.

It can withstand the rubs from crockery, canned food etc. Another thing is I can use dish detergent or turpentine to clean the surface as the oil stains from the smoke of cooking deposited over times.

Use the cheaper range of lamination like white or black for about $12/- per pce of 1200mm x 2440mm.

The plain colour; grey or blue etc is about $20/-.

I also paid for thicker ply of plywood to be use as the base of all my drawers so that I can put more heavier things. For canned food and cups kept in the drawers, I also use high pressure lamination.

Hi,

Is there coloured pvc or colored polyken? And what are the color options?

Thinking of having a coloured kitchen cabinet interior.

However, ID says it is only achievable using laminate and it is an overkill since noboby else will see it except the owners.

Agree tat it is not a necessity but is definitely a nice touch to the owner. So would like to know the available options and not to be brushed off by the ID just becos it is easier for them to use white PVC.

Is my understanding correct that -- pvc is the cheapest, followed by polyken and laminate being the most expensive?

Thanks.

White and black are the common color options for pvc/polykem as most cabinet interiors are not color conscious.

PVC cheapest, pvc and polykem is around the same price with just a slight difference between them. Polykem for interiors is aesthetically pleasing compared to pvc, personal opinion.

Just to keep this thread alive, here are some photographs of our kitchen cabinets & pole systems wardrobe with polygon interior boards:

Kitchen cabinet - grey colour interior polygon with blum runners...

fdf4_008_uc4it.jpg

Pole Systems Wardrobe interior - white polygon board...

15g7_a57_uc4it.jpg

grq4_df6_uc4it.jpg

What is the price difference between polygon, laminate and PVC materials?

I heard recently that it is now possible to have full laminate inside cabinets for the same price of PVC inside cabinets. Can any one confirmed this and where can we get this offer?

What is the difference of polygon and laminate interior finish?

Just to keep this thread alive, here are some photographs of our kitchen cabinets & pole systems wardrobe with polygon interior boards:

Kitchen cabinet - grey colour interior polygon with blum runners...

fdf4_008_uc4it.jpg

Pole Systems Wardrobe interior - white polygon board...

15g7_a57_uc4it.jpg

grq4_df6_uc4it.jpg

Hi Mae29, Can you PM me the contacts/carpenter who did your kitchen cabinets & pole systems wardrobe ? Wat is the cost? Thanks

Hi Mae29, Can you PM me the contacts/carpenter who did your kitchen cabinets & pole systems wardrobe ? Wat is the cost? Thanks

Sorry for the belated reply...as I lost track of all comments which I had posted in this forum :)

The carpenter for kitchen cabinets is from my ID firm. The pole system wardrobe is from 'Flex Closet' by Home Win at Kallang Way.

My Kitchen Cabinet

Pole System Wardrobe in Son's Room

Edited by mae29