Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
raincole

Cpa Or Cfa?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Business analysis, market research, something in this line

are you talking abt banks? equities/stock research ?

then CFA would be good for career advancements.. i dun know how useful it is because i got friends who took it but gave up coz they thought its too theory for them and didn't really value add.. but they are working in the dealing/trading side of the business...

honestly... why don't you go take a look at the course outline and see it it fits what you wanna do?

CPA = certified public accountant. So unless you are doing accounting and want to be recognised as an accountant, you may consider dropping this.

I dont know the details of CFA, but from friends taking CFA, it's is more than just business analysis and market research. Do take a look at the course details.

Both certifications require a specific pre-entry levels, so do check .

I am a CPA now and i majored in Financial Analysis in uni... many of my classmates took CFA which seems to be the next level upz from my degree.. which i resisted... cos i cant bear to stare at derivatives, futures, options, stocks etc again... :D

what's the difference?

CPA is actually as what another forumer said.. certified public accountant... basically, to become a CPA, you need to have an accountancy degree.. this means studying accounting.. consol accounting, tax, audit, business law, contract law etc... your cup of tea?? :o

CFA is certified financial analyst.. its generally on analysis on stocks, derivatives, futures, options.. if you are really keen in working in stock exchange or related fields, this will be for you...

to be honest, actually, there are some overlapping.. cos you need to know some basics in accts.. like financial ratios analysis in analysing companies' financial statements... from wat you wrote, i think both fits the bill... broadly, i mean... :drunk:

but exactly, what will you like to do? :D

CPA is geared towards the accounting profession, while CFA is geared towards the banking/financial services/investment profession.

If you are looking to do business analysis, market research etc. (which are very broad as it could be literally anything), CFA and CPA can be both useful, but they are not necessary either (depending on what you do).

You have to be more specfic about your 'business analysis, market research' type of jobs.

So before i can do the CPA or CFA, i need to learn what? CAT?

Errrr.... you can do the CPA/CFA anytime you like, as you as you have the necessary pre-requisites. But if you want to do a course because you want to work in a certain line of work, it would be clearer for us if you indicate what line of work. For example, market research could be

a. Economic research

b. Stock market research

c. Marketing research

d. Statistical analysis

etc.

So before i can do the CPA or CFA, i need to learn what? CAT?

before you decide wat to learn... maybe you wanna ask yourself exactly wat you intend to do.. your interest... dun study halfway, then discover you are in the wrong course... many took ACCA and halfway dropped out cos too tiring.. to stressful... not their cup of tea.. if you are interested in that field, it will be much easier to persevere till the end... ;)

before you decide wat to learn... maybe you wanna ask yourself exactly wat you intend to do.. your interest... dun study halfway, then discover you are in the wrong course... many took ACCA and halfway dropped out cos too tiring.. to stressful... not their cup of tea.. if you are interested in that field, it will be much easier to persevere till the end... :P

Yeah. Perhaps raincole can consider looking at the course outline as well as to provide more details to the kind of jobs (maybe from recruitment ads or job databases).

Like ARCHer mentioned, there are many kinds of analysis work. Some have very specific requirements on the domain or skillsets which may not be acquired just by getting a paper qualification.