Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ctp5151

Rebuild 3400 sqft semi d to multigeneration house

Hi! My family has decided to rebuild our old 1 storey 3400sqft semi d to a 3 storey house with roof garden (and maybe basement as the house is below street level with slope up). We are hoping to keep within a budget of 1m for the rebuild, is this realistic given the covid situation?

We also would like a multi-generation house where the younger family stays upstairs (accessed by a side staircase), do we need extra permits for this?

Thank you very much, appreciate any help.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I don't think 1 mil is enough, for 3 storey plus basement would give you at least 5500 sq ft of built up area, if I based on $350 psf, you will likely have to budget more than 2 mil with basement. Just my opinion. 

since you have a semi-d, why do a roof garden when you can have the garden at the side/front/back? you are taking a risk of leaks in future with this.

1M is definitely way off in current situation. even during pre-covid days, 1M might be just enough for a terrace house

if your additional staircase is within the building envelope, it should be doable as long as URA/BCA approves the plans. do note that by right you can't build anything outside the prescribes building envelope of which the setbacks of 2m side and rear and 7.5m front (except carporch roof for front up to 2.4m setback) applies

with the current envelope control, if your house is on sloping ground, your building envelope has to be based on the slope as well. it is a bit stupid but this is what it is now.

do note that just because your house is current sitting below road level, it doesn't automatically qualify you to build a basement. if the entire house is currently sitting on flat land below road level, your first storey platform level has to be taken from the current house's first storey/ground level. so it's up to your architect to figure out creative ways to work around this site restriction. I had the same site problem and URA didn't allow me to design my house such that the area below road level is a basement even though the existing ground level is 1.2m to 1.8m below the road level.

Edited by snoozee

Hi, having a secondary staircase at the side that by passes the main spaces of the building will almost certainly not be allowed by URA. This is because they do not want the landed house to function like separate units that are easily sublet out, even if it is meant for your own multi-generation usage. The answer will be "What if you sell the house to the next buyer and they sublet it out? 🤣 Fought with URA over this for months lol.

And for a semi of that size with a basement especially, be prepared for 2m and upwards, even if you go with very basic finishes.

In today's market, expect minimally 350/psf for above ground construction and 1.5 times that for below ground construction.

On 6/2/2021 at 7:03 AM, George Yeo said:

I don't think 1 mil is enough, for 3 storey plus basement would give you at least 5500 sq ft of built up area, if I based on $350 psf, you will likely have to budget more than 2 mil with basement. Just my opinion. 

Hi George, understand you have a thread which shows your rebuild , can I get a pm to your builder contact info? Am researching and this COVID pandemic is definitely not helping. Thanks in advance!

Several generations living together allows families to help care for the elderly, or raising children and also tackle high housing costs. Families have an opportunity to share in each other's lives, grandparents can spend time with grandchildren, and the financial burden is reduced for individual family members. Family closeness and increased tangible resources were the most frequent advantages given. Householder family relationship stress and issues of privacy were the most frequent disadvantages identified. In any case it's up to you and I would recommend you to get more informed here cashhousebuyersusa.com.