Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Topline

Enlarge pool or counter current system?

Hi, I have a small pool about 5x5 m. To make the pool more useful, I was wondering if I should enlarge it (now that I’m doing reconstruction) or get a counter current system. If I extend, I can only do it along the boundary wall (which is 1.8 m wide) so that the longest stretch of the pool will be 10 m. Not so familiar with counter current systems. Any one has any experience with it? Reliable?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
27 minutes ago, Topline said:

Hi, I have a small pool about 5x5 m. To make the pool more useful, I was wondering if I should enlarge it (now that I’m doing reconstruction) or get a counter current system. If I extend, I can only do it along the boundary wall (which is 1.8 m wide) so that the longest stretch of the pool will be 10 m. Not so familiar with counter current systems. Any one has any experience with it? Reliable?

I ain't an expert on this topic.

If I ain't wrong, counter current system is meant for endurance training. In layman's term means swimming without actually moving physically, or rather swimming in the same spot with the pumps creating the illusion to the swimmer of moving from point a to b.

I think in you case, as yours is a residential & expansion space is no issue. Why not just expand.

No offense but to see someone swimming in the same spot seems silly & comical. Especially so when seen in a landed residential context.  This system, i feel, should be applied only to professional sports training venue (ie: non-residential) where it's more relevant.

Anyway, the choice is yours. Just saying the equipment should suit the context of the venue / surrounding.

I’m using one with my tiny 10m length pool. 

Its quite useful as 10m is also rather short..

there will be wear and tear Eg switches and such and you do need to use it to avoid the motors jamming up

ensure there’s good ventilation and it’s a simple and useful fit. There are many brands

just choose one according to your budget. 

If you’re not a serious swimmer you may not need varying strengths but it’s useful

a handrail is nice too 

I'm using a basic astral pool one. 

IMO it’s good as i use it almost daily. 

Hi pete, is yours built-in or can it just be added onto an existing pool. Also, does it allow you to do breaststroke comfortably ... i read these machines blow bubbles straight into your face and may not be good for breaststroke.

It was part of the build.

There are many options for adding on, just google for them - can't post links here
Any stroke is fine, but a snorkel works for me as I swim quite hard. You should be able to adjust the bubbles. Again choose one that fits your functional needs.

BTW bro.. it doesn't mean that if you post in many threads, you'll get more answers.. probably less..

There are only a few peeps in the forum who are helping.. the spambots outnumber the contributors right now..

I googled but can’t seem to find many options. Saw the endless one and checked out the astral website. Also saw a SwimEx one but not sure if it is spa or for Swimming. 

Astral one seems to be not a add-on. There are not many reviews for these things.... how long have you had your astral one and what’s the warranty period?

Edited by Topline
Typo

Three years

warranty is meaningless - my pool builder did a decent  job building but then he’s gone and so will the warranty 

most important do the build right 

Hi Pete, is your swim system strong enough for an adult to swim free style? I read some that are so weak you keep touching the front wall in a few strokes.

You can overcome any system if you swim hard enough.. 

Get one with a variable speed and power if it matters. You should get your pool builder to give you some suggestions and costs soon so that the shape and design can accommodate this system.

It's like a treadmill : you build cardio, not just strength.. 

You have certain requirements and a tighter budget, so it's best to consult your pool builder..

I took the suggestion my builder said based on my budget.. 

The cheaper ones may not have the needed adjustments or have the power you need, so it's best to talk to the pros.. 

I might add that - you need to work with your builder on the design and choose the counter current system wisely. If it's something you will use a lot, get a good one even if it costs more.

The hole in the side of the pool is meant to fit one brand and sometimes only one model. 

Thanks, Pete.... that's one concern i have too. On the lookout for those i can just add to an existing pool if possible so even if spoilt in the future, i would not have that stuck in the pool forever. Eg, Bestway Swimfinity.