Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Mandm

If rc flat roof area can be covered up

Hi,

We just bought a landed home but we are only doing minor A&A.

Need advice if the RC flat roof on the top floor can be covered up. Based on the image of my home and also checking with the ura website, it doesn’t seem that I need to apply to bca or ura to extend the area as it will still be 2m from setback area and this is currently a sheltered area. Should I get a PE or my ID to assess, or should the builder know?

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks a lot!

Exemption%20List%20skvivPt6.pdf?la=en

00301869-D19C-4AD4-8B1D-3C96E75B6539.jpeg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Upon enlargement of your picture, you should note the words "For maintenance only".

There is a reason for this indication on Architectural plans as submitted & approved by the authorities..

As extracted from URA website under the link "GFA":

For development control purpose, Singapore uses a Gross Floor Area (GFA) system to work out the bulk and intensity of a development. The Gross Plot Ratio (GPR) for a specific development site is defined as the ratio of the GFA of a building to its site or plot area1 . The allowable GPR of a development is guided by the GPR specified in the Master Plan (MP). 

This GFA handbook explains which area or space of a development is included or excluded from GFA for development control purpose. As a general principle, all covered floor area of a development and all uncovered area used for commercial purposes are included as GFA, unless otherwise exempted. This is regardless of whether the spaces are accessible or usable. 

GFA is the total area of covered floor space measured between the centre line of party walls, including the thickness of external walls but excluding voids.   

So likely in your case, if you cover that portion of your property. That is "adding" GFA without approval. This does not have anything to do with setback.

The best person to answer this will be your Architect, who is the sole qualified person (as define by the Authorities) in charge of calculating Plot Ratio, GFA, etc followed by the endorsement & submission. Interior Designer, Professional Engineer, Builder is not involved in this aspect.

Edited by 3Cube
Spelling & added wording

Legally is no. Since that is the roof, you don’t build a roof over a roof. 
even if it is within the 2m setback doesn’t mean you can do anything you like legally. 
normally RC roof terrace and inaccessible RC roof are meant to be open to sky. 

Just to add, illegal extensions has consequences if complain is lodged with URA due various issues. You will asked to dismantle the illegal extensions and it will be an expensive affair. 
Further to definition of GFA mentioned, complains can also be lodged against IRAS due to unpaid property tax on the illegal portion of GFA and there will be consequences too. Just be careful and prepared to spend extra money if forced to rectify. 

23 minutes ago, yoongf said:

Is bedroom 4 on level 3?

Corner terr and semi d.. 3rd floor need setback 3m. I suspect is this reason.

I believe this 3m setback for 3rd floor no longer applies with the new envelop control rules?

The text on the drawing suggest that the architect was trying to comply with attic guideline which says...

An attic is an incidental space that may be allowed within the permissible two-storey and three-storey envelopes respectively. Where roof terraces are proposed on attic roofs, they shall be located at least 3m below the top extent of the permissible building envelope to ensure future coverings by homeowners remain within the overall building envelope. Roofs with less than 3m below the top extent of the permissible building envelope shall be proposed as RC flat roofs that are non-accessible except for maintenance purposes

Thanks everyone for your kind advice.

We were just wondering what we can do with that space. Because it seems like an awkward space and is currently an empty space at the moment. 

I guess we will have to make do with planters at the moment. 

thanks everyone!