Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ColourPen

Rear Extension of Corner Terrace

Hello,  I bought a 3-storey corner terrace with open-to-sky terrace that's less than 10 years old. The rear setback of building is about 5 m from boundary line. A friend suggested that I extend the building by 3m to the rear.

I quite like the open space currently in the rear, but I can also use some additional interior space on the 2nd storey for a family area or enlarging the smallish bedrooms.  Does it make sense to extend only the 1st and 2nd storeys? Will I save much in terms of cost and timeline? Or might as well extend the 3rd storey and attic? Other than cost and timeline, any factors that I should consider? I see my family staying there for at least 10 years, so the extension is for liveability since I don't think it will add much to future resale value. Thank you in advance for your advice!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

get hold of your building plans. i believe the house is older than 10 years old as owners in recent years would not just rebuilt the house and leave such a big rear set back. most likely the previous owner only did some A&A work to refresh the building and didn't do much on the structure.

whether can extend or not you need to find a PE to look at the plans and then decide from there. even if the PE decide can be done, you will likely need to create new foundations for the new extended area to support the extension.

Thanks, snoozee! I thought it was also weird that the rear set back is so "generous". The property agent explained that previous owner bought it from a developer who didn't maximise built-up area to save on development charge. Regardless, as you've suggested, will get hold of building plans and have someone look through.

Assuming PE says extension can be done, I'm expecting new foundation to be needed. But not sure whether to to extend only 1st+2nd storeys to save some cost and time, or extend all 3 storeys.

Yes that could be a possibility. But if it is a new built, there could be other reasons for such a big setback. Check where your last IC is in the house and you may also want to buy the SIP from PUB to check if there is a sewer running through your backyard or not. If there is a sewer line, the developer may have opted to setback from the sewer instead of building a trench and building over it. This will also mean you may have problems building any extension as well.