Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
superfly21

Licensed Plumber and LEW for Lightning Protection System

Hi guys,

Just starting on the reno for my semi-D (2.5 storeys). My ID just told me that:

1) we have to engage a Licensed Plumber to do submission for the relocation and adding of kitchen and bathrooms (6 baths). Cost starting from around $8,000 (inclusive of about $2-3k submission fee to govt). Will be more if we change the internal main pipes. Any idea if this is reasonable? Also, how much to change the internal piping, which I am assuming is the copper and PVC piping that connects to the PUB mains and IC respectively?

2) We have to engage an LEW to check whether the existing lightning protection system is in line with current BCA requirements (the house was built >10 yrs ago). Estimated $10-15k to install new lightning protection system if need to comply with requirements. Any idea if this is reasonable?

Thanks!

Edited by superfly21

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

You better check what your ID is telling you about plumber submission fees. I don’t remember needing to pay PUB any submission fees except for when PUB connect a new incoming water pipe for me and that few was about 1k+.

Internal piping would like likely be water pipes. Nowadays plumbers usually use stainless steel pipes with crimped joints. Else could use PPR pipes but this is more expensive. Copper pipes seems to be more expensive and problematic these days. My plumber mentioned the quality of copper pipes these days are not that good. 

are you redoing your roof? If there’s no work done on the roof then the existing lightning rods would be touched so maybe can avoid redoing the lightning protection system. If need to redo then you definitely will need to change a lot of things as the code has been updated in 2018 and taken effect in may 2019. If you not sure whether you will need to redo your lightning protection, write in to BCA to enquire. 

Is there sewer work involved? I had to move one toilet and do the needed sewer work. Paperwork and plumbing and sewer pipes cost 15k for that toilet alone and they had to dig really deep as the foundations were pretty deep so they had to dig under that for the new pipes .. so it might really be around there.. 

Hi, now my ID says $6k is just the submission and endorsement costs by the Licensed Plumber. No payment to PUB by the Licensed Plumber. So I guess mainly paperwork. Does not include any on-the-ground works. 

Does that sound reasonable? 

16 hours ago, snoozee said:

are you redoing your roof? If there’s no work done on the roof then the existing lightning rods would be touched so maybe can avoid redoing the lightning protection system. If need to redo then you definitely will need to change a lot of things as the code has been updated in 2018 and taken effect in may 2019. If you not sure whether you will need to redo your lightning protection, write in to BCA to enquire. 

No not re-doing the roof. Just repainting. Will write in to BCA. Thanks.

On 7/24/2021 at 10:20 AM, yoongf said:

Are you doing RENO or A&A works? 

Hi there, reno. But I am planning to shift my gate post (containing the meter compartment) to widen my gate which does require submissions.

Just to update everyone. I wrote in to BCA on whether we need to do submission for the lightning protection system, and this is what they said:

If no work is carried out on the roof and your proposed internal renovation works consist only of non-building works and insignificant building works listed under First Schedule of the Building Control Regulations, then no submission to BCA is required.

On BCA website, you can find the list of insignificant building works.

Edited by superfly21

Hi all, does anyone know if $10-12k for a new lightning protection system for a semi-D is reasonable (including LEW certification)?

Now my contractor says the existing system not working well based on testing.