Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
michiko

Sewage Smell From Toilet

Hi! anyone has this experience?

Our MBR toilet has this strong sewage smell.

My hubby has checked out all the pipes to see if there is any leakage but there is none.

Is very disturbing and we have to close the toilet at all times, else the whole MBR will have this smell.

I bought a special charcoal liquid and place it in the toilet to absorb the smell. It works for a while.

I find the sewage smell is especially strong whenever those staying in the higher level flush the toilet.

Anyone know what can be the problem?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

If no pipe leakage... the smell can only come from the plug hole (drain basket).

There is a U bend pipe in all plug hole. So that they collect water and prevent smelly

air from entering the room. Open up the plug hole and check inside.

If no pipe leakage... the smell can only come from the plug hole (drain basket).

There is a U bend pipe in all plug hole. So that they collect water and prevent smelly

air from entering the room. Open up the plug hole and check inside.

plug hole... hmm.. where is it located...hee

Sorry no reply ....

Its on the floor ... the drain hole where all the water goes down

Thanks. Problem is we also dunno what to check for.. blockage? but seemingly it looks quite normal... hmm...

Hi! anyone has this experience?

Our MBR toilet has this strong sewage smell.

My hubby has checked out all the pipes to see if there is any leakage but there is none.

Is very disturbing and we have to close the toilet at all times, else the whole MBR will have this smell.

I bought a special charcoal liquid and place it in the toilet to absorb the smell. It works for a while.

I find the sewage smell is especially strong whenever those staying in the higher level flush the toilet.

Anyone know what can be the problem?

There is two possibilities. Check for the easy one first, make sure there is no breakage of sewage pipes, not just leakage (leak should not have the problem you describe), look at the top portion of the pipe as well (my old flat's sewage pipe break a hole on top, so got smell but no leakage, suspect the workers accidentally break it and act blur).

If you are sure the pipe has no problem, then there is only one reason. It is the WC's pan collar problem, this is the hard part.... either the worker didn't put properly, put wrongly or the rubber seal is spoil. Pan collar is a plastic+rubber adapter between the floor sewage hole and your WC's exit pipe. It allows some adjustment and also will seal the gap. To check, need to remove the WC, yes the whole WC seat, then on the floor you will see this white plastic adapter with black rubber on top. Make sure the rubber is intact and the bent is position properly.... difficult to explain in detail. You may want to get your contractor to solve this for you.

Hope this helps.

Oh one more possibility, if your contractor has include another new drainage point in your toilet, hope he connect it to the water drainage (which has U shape pipe below the floor to prevent smell from coming out) and not the WC drainage (which does not have a U shape pipe below....) ooppss

Is the water level in the bowl ok?

Ensure that it is fully covering the hole, else the smell could also be coming from there.

Some times, when the higher floors flush, the water flows down so fast, it actually creates some sort of suction that sucks some of the water from your bowl. I hope you know what I mean.

Just ensure that the water level in the bowl fully covers the hole... no gap between water surface and hole and the smell will not be coming out liow !!

Is the water level in the bowl ok?

Ensure that it is fully covering the hole, else the smell could also be coming from there.

Some times, when the higher floors flush, the water flows down so fast, it actually creates some sort of suction that sucks some of the water from your bowl. I hope you know what I mean.

Just ensure that the water level in the bowl fully covers the hole... no gap between water surface and hole and the smell will not be coming out liow :D

Hi!

the water level is normal.

I had called up HDB, the officer is nice enough to offer to come down to my house to inspect.

Hopefully he will know what is wrong and do the necessary.

Hi!

the water level is normal.

I had called up HDB, the officer is nice enough to offer to come down to my house to inspect.

Hopefully he will know what is wrong and do the necessary.

So Michiko .... finally what is the problem. Pls post

So Michiko .... finally what is the problem. Pls post

I am new here in RenoTalk, am facing the same problem that Michiko had, that's y i m here seeking for help. Do hope that Michiko can share will me what's the actual problem, and how to go about sloving it. Cos the pungent is so strong that bathing seems to be a hatred thing to do at home, and i sometimes wanted to puke. As the window of my kitchen is adjacent to the toilets' window, i can smell the unpleasant odour when my hubby had his bath one evening. Pls help.... I am paranoid and going mad! :furious:

For temp relief, I see some ppl put charcoal ard the toilet to absorb the smell. Maybe consider this temp solution. The other way is to install vent fan to push foul air out the window, although this is not exactly a authorised practice for HDB flats.