Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
michiko

Sewage Smell From Toilet

For temp relief, I see some ppl put charcoal ard the toilet to absorb the smell. Maybe consider this temp solution. The other way is to install vent fan to push foul air out the window, although this is not exactly a authorised practice for HDB flats.

RIght now, as i m super desperate, i've poured colongne to ease the stench. :~ Somehow it works, not sure issit bcos of the cool weather, but not a solution for long term. Thanks for your tips yoongf, guess i will try the charcoal method.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
RIght now, as i m super desperate, i've poured colongne to ease the stench. :notti: Somehow it works, not sure issit bcos of the cool weather, but not a solution for long term. Thanks for your tips yoongf, guess i will try the charcoal method.

go daiso buy those sewage cleaning tablets, follow instructions.

the foul smell should be coming the curvy part of the pipe - flush it with lots of water might be able to push those dirty water over the curve.

Hi all,

the HDB officer came down to inspect. However he cant find any fault too. No leakage discovered. He only advise me to open the window for ventilation and buy the.. hmm.. i dunno wat it is called.. the one you place at the toilet bowl to kill germs and remove odour.. think can buy from NTUC.

i know very well the smell came from the plug hole, as i had placed a tile over it. And for the past few days, there is no sewage smell at all. Also i bought this charcoal liquid (bought from giant) that can help in absorb odour. so far so good. cross my fingers.

The HDB officer said thou he cant discovered any fault, he will take note of it, as the smell could be from the unit below mine (they are renovating now).

go daiso buy those sewage cleaning tablets, follow instructions.

the foul smell should be coming the curvy part of the pipe - flush it with lots of water might be able to push those dirty water over the curve.

properly can buy the thing you said for double effect. :dancingqueen:

i'm having the same problem since the day i shifted in. Thought the problem lies with the wc but plumber told me it's from the drainage. Michiko, what's the brand of your wc?? HDB is coming to inspect this week.. Will revert if there's any solutions...

I think the floor trap is clogged with debris etc,

Use a spoon, bend it a little and attach it to a pole long enough to reach the bottom of the u trap & scoop up whatever inside.

clear the curve outlet too. (I don't what is that area call).

U may need to get those flexible coil which is $3-$5/- a pc and put it right into that junction with your hand.

( to locate the junction, look-up above on the drainage piping of your upper floor.

I use a thin stripe of s/s - 1mm x w25mm x length 500mm; like ruler and bend 25mm at one end forming it a little to "L' shape ( th 2 corners need cut off a bit) to clear all the floor traps regularly.

Hi sorry for digging out a old thread again..

I've almost similar problem in my m/bedroom toilet.

Probably coming from the floor trap, but I've place a filter there (the ball float kind) and sometimes still smell.

And we've done the floor trap cleaning, meaning open it and try to clear and flush water down..become better but still have smell.

Can I check whether is the sewage cleaning tablets useful ?

Hi sorry for digging out a old thread again..

I've almost similar problem in my m/bedroom toilet.

Probably coming from the floor trap, but I've place a filter there (the ball float kind) and sometimes still smell.

And we've done the floor trap cleaning, meaning open it and try to clear and flush water down..become better but still have smell.

Can I check whether is the sewage cleaning tablets useful ?

u can try that... i also tried all methods.... sometimes still can smell it but bearable..

maybe u can try buy this charcoal liquid thing from ntuc...one bottle is abt $6 plus..it works well for me

My common toilet has the same problem, My ID did a check and the smell is coming from my neighbours below.

Basically what they did is an illegal modification, so instead of an S-trap it's a straight pipe. I would suggest checking

your neighbours piping.

u can try that... i also tried all methods.... sometimes still can smell it but bearable..

maybe u can try buy this charcoal liquid thing from ntuc...one bottle is abt $6 plus..it works well for me

Hi Michiko, the charcoal liquid is something like the thristy hippo, am I right?

Where do you place it, near the floor trap?

Hi bigfunk, how your ID manage to find out? Need to go to below unit right?

And why do they wanna do a straight pipe instead?

Sorry for many questions, and thanks in advance.

hmmm....not sure if my input will work for u guys....

my old hse MBR bathroom also have this prob n my mom was gettin really fed up over it. she tried havin ppl come in to look etc but no help also. after much 'investigation' wif her nose sniffin around for the source, she suspect the smell came from the area where the toilet bowl is connected to the bathroom floor. wif the naked eye, it seems like there's no crack or holes wif the cement holdin them together.

since already at wit's end, she decide to juz try applying another layer of cement around the base of the toilet bowl to see if it will work. voila! no more smell....

hope things work out for everyone!

Hi Michiko, the charcoal liquid is something like the thristy hippo, am I right?

Where do you place it, near the floor trap?

hmmm... is a japanese brand. The whole bottle is black in colour.

I think this is a persistant problem with very old flat toilet drainage system design. I look up my bathroom to trace how HDB design the sewage drainage and notice all drainpipes are with U-Bends that lead to the main sewage pipe. It appears that this design is not good enough to prevent the bad smell from emanating. Maybe HDB should do something about is because I also get lots of centipedes in the bathrooms and I live on the 5th floor.

If no pipe leakage... the smell can only come from the plug hole (drain basket).
There is a U bend pipe in all plug hole. So that they collect water and prevent smelly
air from entering the room

Link removed

Edited by leyenda

sorry to bring this up.

i have the same problem in my MBR - a resale top floor unit

smell comes from the floor trap - HDB , contractor all check and found no leak or chocks.

really stumble .

smells comes in at certain time .. not sure if the top floor is a release vent for the waste water..

ANY one staying top floor has this problem too?