Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
HelloAC

Plate Bearing Test

7 minutes ago, 3Cube said:

I feel the need to clarify in case anyone was comparing cost & to avoid misconception.

The price for piling varies due to different land / soil / earth condition. This also depends on the actual driven penetration depth. Hence if anyone is comparing cost, you should be looking at the rate per m (also rates for mobilization, etc) instead of overall total amount of the piling item. Usually piling works contractor depend on the bore log of soil report, site location's conditions, pile sizes & the piling plan to work out the rates.

In addition to my last post, you should note on the following:

If your job is going thru the tender bidding process, The section for piling will contain provisional penetration length in order to establish the total amount. This amount will be subjected to variation order to adjust for actual pile penetration record as witness & endorse by the RTO (Resident / Registered Technical Officer, previously also known as Clerk of Works). The provisional length is to enable completeness & uniformity of all competing bids for fair comparison during the tender bidding stage.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
51 minutes ago, DaddyJP said:

The whole foundation work is $45k.

But not sure whether include the test or not. Need to check. 😓

What type of foundation did your PE design for? For 45k, I don’t think it is piling right? Sounds more like doing footings or raft foundation with this price for substructure 

40 minutes ago, snoozee said:

What type of foundation did your PE design for? For 45k, I don’t think it is piling right? Sounds more like doing footings or raft foundation with this price for substructure 

You are right. Footings + bakau piles.

22 minutes ago, DaddyJP said:

You are right. Footings + bakau piles.

If the quote is given after the structure and foundation is designed, then your contractor should have factored the plate bearing test cost in somewhere already. But reading your other thread where you mentioned that you went with design and build contractor, then you need to confirm on this already.
This is one of the drawbacks of signing a quotation before the building design is done and confirmed as you face potential VOs due to nothing being confirmed at the point of signing. 

6 hours ago, 3Cube said:

Structurally speaking, all building must have foundation. The sub-catagories under foundation type are Pile Cap (for caping a pile & facilitate load transfer), Footing (mostly not capping any piles but sometime, depending on soil condition, may cap Bakau Piles). Of course things like reinforced concrete pile  are part of the foundation (by definition structural element under the building embedded in earth / soil) What I'm stating here is just a simplified explaination for laymen's understanding.

Bakau pile are basically timber in nature (or Bakau tree trunks to help you understand visually).  It is installed either laying horizontally (usually in the case of drains, culverts laid parallel to lenth of drain or culvert) or vertically driven into the soil. Just google to see how Bakau pile looks like.

I would strongly urge you to check with a structural Engineer on contents of my post. I maintain my content in my previous post on this thread is true, based on the numerous project I've personal involved over 20+ years. Please understand it is simplify as I don't meant the post as a lecture but more of general knowledge to help laymen's visualisation. Sort of a non-numerical statistical summary.

In your post as attached, you mention raft foundation. Basic analogy, Raft foundation is like visually the building is a boat on water (soil) where the raft foundation is like the hull (base) of the boat in direct contact with the water (soil). I speculate this is why it's named as "raft". This is design / use to ensure even settlement of building on the earth / soil.

Eh? Yup there are different types of foundations.

Just wanted to clear up the point and hope whoever reads this understands that plate load bearing test is necessary for normal shallow foundations (footings/raft foundations) and it is not for testing of piles (deep foundations). Testing of piles is through PDA/ULT and is of a different cost category.

2 hours ago, snoozee said:

If the quote is given after the structure and foundation is designed, then your contractor should have factored the plate bearing test cost in somewhere already. But reading your other thread where you mentioned that you went with design and build contractor, then you need to confirm on this already.
This is one of the drawbacks of signing a quotation before the building design is done and confirmed as you face potential VOs due to nothing being confirmed at the point of signing. 

hahah snozee yeah you are absolutely right. Thats how/why the initial quotes are always so attractive! 🤣

6 hours ago, IceEyez said:

hahah snozee yeah you are absolutely right. Thats how/why the initial quotes are always so attractive! 🤣

Just the pros and cons that comes with each decision.😁

12 hours ago, DaddyJP said:

The whole foundation work is $45k.

But not sure whether include the test or not. Need to check. 😓

Likely your case dont include this test as this test is only stipulated by BCA upon permit approval. Please share once you get a quote from your builder. Thanks! 

58 minutes ago, DaddyJP said:

Just the pros and cons that comes with each decision.😁

not sure if you saw the quotation that @prodriver6 shared on his construction cost. the builder had quoted 65k for architectural and PE fees. so assuming the PE is paid 25k, the architect would have been paid 40k for his services.

Now his quotation is of a total of 1.1M. So after deducting the QPs fees, it would be 1.04M of construction cost.

If say he went for the architect route and the architect charged him 100k for the services (based on 10% of construction cost), there would be an additional cost of 60K for the architect fees. However if the builder charged him more than 60K in VO because of changes after the submissions, etc, then it would have cost more to go with his design and build contractor compared to going the architect route.

Personally, I feel it is better to confirm all requirements before getting a quotation rather than signing a quotation based on estimates as  you can go from "money not enough" to "money really not enough" if the VOs start to add up.

Not sure if your builder's quote includes fees for RTO but you will need to hire a RTO for the construction process and this RTO is usually preferred to be someone neutral since he/she is supposed to check on the builder's work. So if the RTO is someone familiar to the builder, then there may be conflicts of interest.

Absolutely, understanding the plate bearing test is crucial for assessing the ground for construction. It’s all about ensuring that the soil has the right bearing capacity to support the structures built on it. If you're interested in how modern machinery can influence these readings, take a look at the detailed Bobcat T66 specs. It’s a good reference for the kind of equipment that interacts with the soil, possibly affecting your test results.