Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
raincole

Laminated Kitchen Cabinet

Touch up meaning what???? painting over or redo the laminated???

I can say that after touch up it looks even worse.... so if you can accept it, just leave it alone...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
this means the work done by my id is bad?

he told me its like that!:rofl:

haiz...

Still waiting for him to touch up...

You make full payment already?

by right hard to touch up. as laminated is a thin piece of so-called cardboard. Unless they take out the entire drawer or bring the laminated over and cover the whole piece again. then still ok.

if not they will used liquid paper then use marker to make the color about the same there. thats all.

:unsure:

Is laminate meant to be so thick?? see the brown lines...ugly leh, looks out-dated... anything thinner or not?

Wat other material can be used?

laminate4.gif

The colour you choose yourself or aaron choose for you?

I'm hijacking your thread... but looking at similar issue as well, so I guess this would be a good one to chip in.

This is my kitchen cabinet, it is ABS trimming as described by the contractor.

Here is my list of defects that I've found, I'm wondering if this is NORMAL, or I should hold back my cheque until it is fixed up nicely.

1) ABS Trimming: it seems like the gue is not strong enough?

001.jpg

002.jpg

2) The cabinet door doesn't close nicely up, this should be able to be adjusted, let's see.

003.jpg

3) ABS Trimming: again, it seems like it is a very poor ABS Trimming, any idea? Is this what you usually get?

005.jpg

4) The drawer rail: it reads "Jasmine" on the rail, according to contractor, it is heavy duty. but... it simply won't "slide" you got to use your hand to push all the way in. and if you push in firmly, my wife might need my help to pull the drawer out.

006.jpg

007.jpg

5) There is scratches on my door where the ABS trimming is done.

008.jpg

6) 2 patch scratched on my door surface, can I ask him to "repair"?

009.jpg

010.jpg

7) My hinge, IREX brand, gonna ask contractor to clean up the holes.

011.jpg

8) The cabinet door, it is probably over filed or the ABS trimming work is bad, is this normal and acceptable?

I asked the contractor, he says will patch it up for me, is that how it is suppose to be?

How if he simple use color pen to color it up for me?

Also, he says no worries, his work got warranty one, should I accept this kind of workmanship given that there's warranty?

012.jpg

9) Obvious, the cutting is not neat, is this recoverable?

013.jpg

016.jpg

Thanks for viewing! and hope if you could give me some advices on this!

Sorry to say your cabinets look like the workmanship is quite bad ler. How much did he charge you for the kitchen carpentry, mind I ask?

If I were you, I will demand he re-do some of the work cos doesn't look like re-patching will rectify ler. Hopefully you haven't paid in full!!!!

Possible to mention ur ID in this forum so we all don't engage him next time?

I am in the process of choosing a contractor to hack off kitchen and re-do everything and so scared I will choose the wrong person.

1. ABS is done up in an unacceptable way. The glue is not clean off properly thus you see the mess.

2. The cabinet hinge is not mounted properly in the correct position thus the door has a gap line when covered, can be rectified by adjusting the position of the hinge.

3.This is self attempted edging by the contractor himself, if you go to reputable contractor who provides quality, they will send their cabinet doors to respectable pvc edging suppliers to do the edging. You got the right to reject the stuff if you demand quality.

4. Track rails got good and lousy quality, putting aside brands, budget contractor uses cheap stuff, you pay what you get.

5.Scratches as long not deep into the wood itself can still be covered using lacquer etc. Very common defect in the industry.

6.Yes you can demand for him to touch up the patches.

7.Unsightly screw holes by the contractor. A good contractor is determined by the attention he pays to the details of his work. He should have putty up the holes instead of letting the end users see it, what makes it worse is that the screw holes aren't even sand properly.Totally unacceptable.

8.The jagged ends which we call dog bite in the industry is because the blades were not sharp when they were cutting the laminates thus having this end product. Fussy customer will demand contractor to do a 1 to 1 replacement instead of those common practice which is using of paint/liquid paper/marker to touch up.

9.Laminate is not even in line for the 1st pic, no choice. The least he can do is to touch up with brown putty instead of letting the white grain show up so obviously. 2nd pic is same as the above point, dog bite.

Pretty old post dated back to 2007 but nonetheless sharing with everyone.

My laminate kitchen cabinet door have a lot of black short hairline look like pencil marking ( mine is a solid colour red) ... Though it isn't very obvious till have to point out...I wonder is this consider as defects? Can carpenter still change the laminate... ?

Edited by Tirimisu