Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Sunny Porch75

Rebuilding a 5 Level Semi-D

Visited the work-in-progress of my contractor friend last saturday 18 Sep 2021.  I find him very meticulous and efficient. Proud of him. Enjoy!  d :D b

01-1_.jpg

Front entrance.  The adjoining remnant land was previously a PUB septic tank.

02_.jpg

Really appreciate the luxury of a 7m height space!! 😍 😊

03_.jpg

Edited by Sunny Porch75

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
On 9/24/2021 at 4:31 PM, Sunny Porch75 said:

Thanks Jack. The land size is 6600sqft. The GFA if the 5 levels together added up to about 8200sqft. 😀

Very big size. BTW, do you use a RC roof or metal one? Mine is in the designing stage, not sure which one is better 😅

17 minutes ago, Jack L said:

Very big size. BTW, do you use a RC roof or metal one? Mine is in the designing stage, not sure which one is better 😅

doing a metal roof will save you a bit on the structural requirements since the attic structural elements can be done using steel beams and columns as opposed to casting concrete which would be much heavier.

do note that RC is not waterproof so you will still need to do waterproofing on the RC roof to make the roof waterproof unless you plan to put other roofing materials above the RC to provide for heat insulation and waterproofing.

Hello Jack, the owner opted for a RC  flat roof so that he could obtain the maximum floor to floor height for his 5 levels.  If he used a pitched roof ( steel structure with clay tiles / steel roofing ) he wouldn't be able to achieve his objective of maximum GFA. :P Pricewise, an RC flat roof may also be the most affordable option. If you're thinking of installing solar panels in the future, a flat roof also provides the best access. (Current payback period of solar panel has reduced to about 5 years).

When using a RC flat roof, you can stay cool by by incorporating a jack roof with glass louvres to create a wind chimney effect (either above the living hall void or stairwell/ lightwell). So the that the heat built up from lower levels can rise up and be ventilated to the exterior.

If you've opted for a pitched roof, never forget to ask your builder to buy & install insulation. 😂 Those who skip this step will find that the heat penetration is tremendous even with a high ceiling and aluminum foil below the roof. (Making your attic A/C bill shoot thru the roof 😓)

5 hours ago, Sunny Porch75 said:

Hello Jack, the owner opted for a RC  flat roof so that he could obtain the maximum floor to floor height for his 5 levels.  If he used a pitched roof ( steel structure with clay tiles / steel roofing ) he wouldn't be able to achieve his objective of maximum GFA. :P Pricewise, an RC flat roof may also be the most affordable option. If you're thinking of installing solar panels in the future, a flat roof also provides the best access. (Current payback period of solar panel has reduced to about 5 years).

When using a RC flat roof, you can stay cool by by incorporating a jack roof with glass louvres to create a wind chimney effect (either above the living hall void or stairwell/ lightwell). So the that the heat built up from lower levels can rise up and be ventilated to the exterior.

If you've opted for a pitched roof, never forget to ask your builder to buy & install insulation. 😂 Those who skip this step will find that the heat penetration is tremendous even with a high ceiling and aluminum foil below the roof. (Making your attic A/C bill shoot thru the roof 😓)

I beg to differ. 
my house is built with flat metal roof with a slight incline to provide water flow. I still get more than 3m floor to ceiling for almost my entire attic storey. 
So it doesn’t mean that only RC roof can maximize the GFA. It’s all about how the attic storey is designed to be within the building envelope to maximize the GFA. 

for houses which are specified with metal roof, of cos all the insulation materials would have to be part of the specifications. It doesn’t make sense to built a metal roof with just the steel sheets for a house. 

URA envelope and attic guidelines require 1 end to be a 45 degree slope towards the spring line.

If this area was designed as another roof terr, the usable space is maximised. The middle portion between the front and back roof terr might as well do a rc flat roof since the resultant area may be too small to justify getting a steel roof subcon in, in terms of shop drawings n mobilisation time. After CSC, add a steel ladder to access this upper roof terr. Can even put veggie farm up there.