Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
madmax67

L-box

Hi folks

Pardon my ignorance, may I know what is L-box? What's the difference between L-box and false ceiling?

I am redo-ing my place which currently does not have any false ceiling and intend to get the ID to construct false ceiling for my living/dining/foyer and master bedroom.

Any advice is much appreciated!

:bleah:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi folks

Pardon my ignorance, may I know what is L-box? What's the difference between L-box and false ceiling?

I am redo-ing my place which currently does not have any false ceiling and intend to get the ID to construct false ceiling for my living/dining/foyer and master bedroom.

Any advice is much appreciated!

:)

L-Box are light holder which usually used for boundary of room or to terminate section of the drop ceiling. The cost is computed by per foot run. False ceiling is a spread of ceiling over a area drop from the existing slab or in layman term - concrete ceiling. The cost is computed by per square foot

false ceiling is more exp

Depend on area. L box compute by length where false ceiling by area. There is no way to compare between them. Besides, they are different in design - Compare apple to apple la.

Depend on area. L box compute by length where false ceiling by area. There is no way to compare between them. Besides, they are different in design - Compare apple to apple la.

Does it mean L-BOX are those used for the throw-lights?

Does it mean L-BOX are those used for the throw-lights?

Yes, but usually install round the perimeter. False ceiling serve the same function to but spread throughout the ceiling area

With false ceilings + L-box....i somehow feel that insects will make it their homes in long run.

No really true. Depend on the design of your false ceiling and L box. If they are fully sealed up, it should not trap any insects. The good thing is that, not only it hold lights, but cover up most of the casing and piping, and as part of design to the house, you should not have too monotonous ceiling; it is usually used for creating different level of ceiling to bring out the space

can any bros here share:

how are the fluorescent tubes (acting as cove lights) in the L-box secured?

Or are they secured in the first place?

The practice is just connect loose wires (with ballast and starter at one end) and place everything resting in the L-box area... and no clips to hold the fluorescent tube.. is this the normal practice of doing?

can any bros here share:

how are the fluorescent tubes (acting as cove lights) in the L-box secured?

Or are they secured in the first place?

The practice is just connect loose wires (with ballast and starter at one end) and place everything resting in the L-box area... and no clips to hold the fluorescent tube.. is this the normal practice of doing?

Yes, quite normal to do that. You need to check if your contractor is using loose set or complete set. Loose set are bit and pieces of the fluorescent connected together and place above the ceiling. I won't advise using loose set as the cables are still exposed though you cannot see it. Need to take cautious when replace lights. Besides the loose set tube is resting directly on the false ceiling. Some heat still generating out of the tube (Though is claim to be cool) your ceiling if not painted properly will leave a yellowish mark after some time. I'll advise you to use complete set instead that come with a metal housing; safer and position should be placed tube facing up so that the tube do not touch the false ceiling at all

Yes, quite normal to do that. You need to check if your contractor is using loose set or complete set. Loose set are bit and pieces of the fluorescent connected together and place above the ceiling. I won't advise using loose set as the cables are still exposed though you cannot see it. Need to take cautious when replace lights. Besides the loose set tube is resting directly on the false ceiling. Some heat still generating out of the tube (Though is claim to be cool) your ceiling if not painted properly will leave a yellowish mark after some time. I'll advise you to use complete set instead that come with a metal housing; safer and position should be placed tube facing up so that the tube do not touch the false ceiling at all

thx for the clarification...

erm... the metal casing comes with electronic ballast issit? one neat housing, just need to connect wires at the sides?

thx for the clarification...

erm... the metal casing comes with electronic ballast issit? one neat housing, just need to connect wires at the sides?

Complete set just need to connect wire within the housing. Usually it comes with normal ballast, but you can request for electronic ballast if you want to. Cost is much higher. Advantage is your tube has very long life span. Usual tube last about a year but my last house with electronic ballast had not even change a single tube for the past 5 years. It worth the cost if you are using it everyday.

Complete set just need to connect wire within the housing. Usually it comes with normal ballast, but you can request for electronic ballast if you want to. Cost is much higher. Advantage is your tube has very long life span. Usual tube last about a year but my last house with electronic ballast had not even change a single tube for the past 5 years. It worth the cost if you are using it everyday.

i'm new to this field of knowledge...

if for a comparison:

a 4ft complete set with electronic ballast and a 4ft complete set with analogue ballast, what is the price different, a rough estimate?

i'm new to this field of knowledge...

if for a comparison:

a 4ft complete set with electronic ballast and a 4ft complete set with analogue ballast, what is the price different, a rough estimate?

about $20 per set dependent on which electronic ballast you choose. Normal set cost about $10 but with electronic ballast is about $30 per set