Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
iltheas

Hoon Hoe Brothers (eagle Design)?

Wat solid top he offered u? Brand? Maybe ours not the same one.

Watever la, u will only know when u start using the things

Seemed like u are the only one overly promoting him

Of course, we would only know the quality after using it for sometimes. Sharing of experience and knowledge from other clients would be good but all depend whether they are free to post up their comments or not. Im just one of the very few to comment on my initial experience with Mr Tan. You might seem it's a tad too focus to "promote" Mr Tan at my end but from my point of view, im not bringing more biz to MR Tan (feel it's a fate to bring me to him, thanks to another forumer who recommeded him to me too). Im just helping others who're seeking for contractor's quotes. Still up to the person to take up his offer or not. :notti:

With regards to the solid top brand > I need to check again as I don't have it with me now. Too many to rem too and don't think that's very critical for me too.

No matter what, let's hope that our reno process to go smoothly for the both of us. :dribble:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
reload72 > That's realy really strange cos Mr Tan was telling me that Corian (I din mention to him about granite) is v.good for worktop and he recommended me when we were discussing into details. Was it cos he din try to get what you are looking at for tabletop? Did you tell him about your expectations and budget? Many of his clients go to him cos of price & quality...of course cheap doesn't mean good. In my case, it would deem fit so long the price justifies the quality. Would be a bonus if he throws in some FOC toilet accessories (which I think he did). :(

Wat solid top he offered u? Brand? Maybe ours not the same one.

Watever la, u will only know when u start using the things

Seemed like u are the only one overly promoting him

Edited by reload72

reload72 > That's realy really strange cos Mr Tan was telling me that Corian (I din mention to him about granite) is v.good for worktop and he recommended me when we were discussing into details. Was it cos he din try to get what you are looking at for tabletop? Did you tell him about your expectations and budget? Many of his clients go to him cos of price & quality...of course cheap doesn't mean good. In my case, it would deem fit so long the price justifies the quality. Would be a bonus if he throws in some FOC toilet accessories (which I think he did). :(

hmmm... was recommended by SK thru SGbrides.... Sk pls post some pics... thanks

ilth, pls do more homework...and check wat material/brand Mr Tan is using. Cheap doesnt mean good.

I insist on Granite/Corian for kitchen worktop and he condems it by saying NOBODY use.... and strongly recommended another solid surface brand which i found out that is not a quality product.

Edited by reload72

Hi iltheas,

it's okay to question Mr Tan on your queries seriously cos I wouldnt feel comfortable if working a unlicensed contractor either. But because I know Mr Tan is a responsible contractor plus I have spoken to his clients personally, I am assured. You can get Mr Tan to bring you around to see his clients' flats more before settling down on the contract terms with him. Below was what I wrote in an email to a forumer.

Dun think it's a prob bugging Mr Tan everyday too. Lately, I have been laising alot with him and his team of tilers too. Pick up some knowledge here and there....hee.. Went to my new house yesterday and met up with Uncle Tan to see my tiling process. He actually pointed out to me that the kitchen wall tiles (done by preivous group of HDB) were uneven hence he suggested me to send a defect list detailing the problem to HDB. Get them to hack and redo the wall tiles again. Then previously I got them (HDB workers) to replace the wall tiles in the common toilet too cos found many hollow tiles. The HDB workers actually broken many tiles along the perimeter of the toilet door (think for their ease of work w/o door ?) and we also found some unenven laying of the tiles at the perimeter. It was nice of Mr Tan to help me find "similar tiles" to touch up the area w/o additional material costs but advise me to "complain" to HDB about this defect too. MR Tan mentioned that since I need to re-do the entire kitchen walls might as well get the HDB contractors to mend the area around broken tiles too (need to hack away all kitchen wall tiles anyway). Not saying Mr Tan is very nice, at least he initiated to offer help in mending the horrible work left by the HDB contractor...kinda long story too laising with the HDB contractor. *headache* The HDB contractor is coming to my unit to look at the prob (got Uncle Tan's tiler to help me point out the defected areas). I'm still not sure if the HDB contractor is willing to redo the entire flat or not else will go back to MR Tan for help already. !!

Met another forumer (din know that she and bf is meeting MR Tan after meeting me). They are visitng another client house nearby and I was told that she feels Mr Tan's quotes was the cheapest too. Prolly sign up with him too??

Sidenote > Uncle Tan goes extra miles by offering to buy bamboo poles (for clothes drying) and deliver to my mum's house cos I stay in landed house nearby to my new unit...no transport to carry few poles from the shop to home. So sweet of him. Haha... :dancingqueen:

My hubby is not in town (will be back end August) and I need to handle all reno stuffs myself. :notti: I shall post up some pics once more work is done.

Hi stoutkid, yup, i emailed you recently, asking for the quotation. i've never actually posted in the other forum though. so not sure whether i'm the one you were thinking about when you said 'talked' :sport-smiley-004: but you did ask me for my block no, so you can tell him that you recommended me. i haven't sent you yet, will do it after this.

to be honest, we didn't really search around for contractors as we didn't have the time (it's a long story). that's why we came to a few forums to check for recommendation.

the problems that i found with mr tan are:

1) though recommended by you, you haven't actually started the reno yet (at that time). so when you recommended him, at that time, your recommendation was more for his personality than his work :D (no offense meant, but i'm a suspicious person by nature :))

2) i checked with radac, and they said that it's better to go with a company that is registered with them. if a holding company is registered with them, but the subsidiary company is not, it's counted as 2 different entities (legal wise), and therefore, they can only help with contracts done with the holding company, not the subsidiary company.

3) i searched google high and low for information on him. i only found 3 people (including you) that actually 'declared' that they used his service. i'm sure that there may be lots more that used his service but didn't post it online. as we don't have that many friends who have renovated their place before, we can't really ask for advice or about his reputation.

4) searching in other forums, there's no mention of his name whatsoever. it's not like ho bee (as can be seen in this forum) or other contractors. btw, i did try calling patrick, it's like making an appointment with a celeb. i gave up :)

having said that, we are going to sign with him. for reasons as follow:

1) we do like him :) he looks (and behaves) like he knows what he's doing. i say that because i actually approached another contractor who's been around for more than 30 years. while that contractor is also quite nice, he doesn't strike me as someone who knows his stuff. maybe he has a superb team of sub-contractors? i don't know. he must have something that allows him to last 30 years plus rite?

2) his price is pretty good. i do wonder how he manage to provide so cheap. but comparing with a few other quotations, some of his stuff is also a bit more expensive. having said that, price overall, his quotation is still cheaper. i don't mind if i were to pay a bit more for good workmanship. remember, you only get what you pay for.

3) other contractors need a few days to get their quotation ready, he did ours on the spot. either he really knows his price, or he just never change the price for the past 5 years :yamseng:

as a final note, i haven't even signed or started the renovation yet, therefore at this point of time, i can't actually recommend him. not yet anyway, gotta wait a few more weeks. as we know from some of the horror stories here, things might be rosy for the first few days, but afterwards? :)

Edited by iltheas

Do talk to Uncle Tan about your doubts too. Im sure he's the best person to answer your queries.

If anyone had worked with him before, would know that he dont mark up his price, better still he gives FOC for some material cost and charge client with a nominal fees only. Rem he told me he won't charge very high on his quotes so long he dun suffer alot of loses. Marginal profit is still acceptable. I guess he's trying to earn a little by selling his services more. I won't recommend him to you cos of cheap quotes but highlighting to forumers here of his existence. His price are pretty standard else an "old" uncle like him cant remember so many prices to all his clients for the same item. He keeps telling me he's old...cant remember much hence calling him "old" here. Heh!

I sincerely hope that ppl here could find their right contractor and be a happy customer.

Edited by stoutkid

Hi iltheas,

Not sure if I have "spoken" to you before in one of the local brides forum on Mr Tan's quotes and company info. Should you not feel safe, should advise you to get Mr Tan to prove you some evidence on the relationship between the 2 companies (personally I dont have a worry with that thou =) ). I think it's rather fair to ask Mr Tan to show some the proof so solve the query of your sense of "insecurity" signing up with Eagle Design.

I just signed up wtih Uncle Tan and my reno has just started couple of days ago. Saw his team of tilers and insofar, quite happy to see a good job done at a commendable workmanship level for my living hall.

I have been laising with him closely for the past few weeks. It took hubby and I some times before we finally settle for him cos hubby was not in town for couple of weeks too. Like some others, we get Uncle Tan to bring us to see some of his client's on-going reno process units and finished reno houses. I even spoken to his clients personally when Mr Tan brought us to view their flats. One of them even told me he had his Pasir Ris flat renovated 10yrs ago and then currently recommended his newly-wed bro to Uncle Tan.

Uncle Tan dun usually promote his biz alot thru the media, what he does is via words-of-mouth and that's why ppl do not usually know about their existence. He would be doing this line for coming 30th-year in 2008. After being thru couple of weeks with him on the quotes, I realiased he does his work quite traditionally. He doesn't have a webpage for his company (imagine an uncle in his age still running biz in an old-fashioned way but somehow I have priortised experience when doing my shortlist). I feedback to him too on designing a webpage since most young couples would prefer to view his works online before deciding to give him a call or not. Thus, currently, he has engaged someone to do up a webpage for him already.

I was so glad that a forumer of the local bride recommended him to me. Do PM me if you like to know more of Uncle Tan. Fret not if you still dubious of his workmanship, get him to bring you around to see more designs before signing up with him. Also suggest you to compare more prices before sign up. You must feel comfortable working with your contractor.

All in all, we all want to find the right contractor with a right price, yah? :yamseng: Good luck to you~!

Edited by stoutkid

So you're saying I shouldn't take him is because of the Eagle Design is not listed? As in, if I insist on getting the contract done with the name of Hoon Hoe, it's okay? My problem is actually 2 parts, 1 is about the legal aspect, (which you have just clarified, thanks! :yamseng:, and the other 1 is whether anyone knows or has heard of his project.

I think you should not sign any contract under Eagle Design as they are not HDB registered contractor. You are liable for all work done even though they might have ask Hoon Hoe to apply work permit for them. You may not aware to what extend of work scope the permit is extended to; perhaps only a small portion of the work contracted. However, if HDB realise any other irregularity, you are still liable as Hoon Hoe can always claim they did only part of the work and not the unauthorise one. You cannot sue them as the full work scope is not sign with them which only Eagle Design contracted them. Legally, Hoon Hoe is not binded to you but only eagle design. If you think they are cheap and good, you can insist them to sign the agreement only with Hoon Hoe so as to bind them legally. HDB don't introduce Registered Contractor Scheme for nothing. On the other part of your aspect, I personally did not hear about neither Eagle design nor Hoon Hoe, but believe there are still many cheap and good but small contractor in the market. Just be very sure that you engage a licence contractor. You may want to PM me should you need my recommendation

You should not sign the contract with Eagle Design as they are not the licence contractor. Under HDB ruling, you should be engaging licence contractor to do the work. HDB will go after licence contractor for any unauthorise work, else the owner normally get double if you did not engage the licence contractor. The fine is as high as $5K and you are still required to regularise any unauthorise work. Besides, many unlicence contractor could have printed their"friends" licence and claim to be associates. When problem occur, they will disappear and you can't sue the licence contractor as you did not enter into contract with them. Unless, you can check or ask eagle design to prove the relationship between; ie both the sharehold or director must be the same in both company, else legally you cannot do much.

Besides, I would suggest you to check few more quote before deciding and compare between objectively. Looking at the raising cost of material and labour, no contractor will want to do a losing business. Hence, just be a little wary of cheap contractor. If you need help, please PM me.

So you're saying I shouldn't take him is because of the Eagle Design is not listed? As in, if I insist on getting the contract done with the name of Hoon Hoe, it's okay? My problem is actually 2 parts, 1 is about the legal aspect, (which you have just clarified, thanks! :sport-smiley-004:, and the other 1 is whether anyone knows or has heard of his project.

Anyone used Mr Tan's service before? Any advice/comment? We went to a few contractors, and his seems to be the cheapest. Not sure about the quality/workmanship though. His name card states "Eagle Design, subsidiary of Hoon Hoe Brothers". Hoon Hoe is listed in hdb website and radac, but Eagle Design is NOT listed. He said that Eagle Design is created so the customers can avoid paying GST. If I were to engage him, should I insist on getting the contract done by Hoon Hoe instead of Eagle Design? Thanks.

You should not sign the contract with Eagle Design as they are not the licence contractor. Under HDB ruling, you should be engaging licence contractor to do the work. HDB will go after licence contractor for any unauthorise work, else the owner normally get double if you did not engage the licence contractor. The fine is as high as $5K and you are still required to regularise any unauthorise work. Besides, many unlicence contractor could have printed their"friends" licence and claim to be associates. When problem occur, they will disappear and you can't sue the licence contractor as you did not enter into contract with them. Unless, you can check or ask eagle design to prove the relationship between; ie both the sharehold or director must be the same in both company, else legally you cannot do much.

Besides, I would suggest you to check few more quote before deciding and compare between objectively. Looking at the raising cost of material and labour, no contractor will want to do a losing business. Hence, just be a little wary of cheap contractor. If you need help, please PM me.

Anyone used Mr Tan's service before? Any advice/comment? We went to a few contractors, and his seems to be the cheapest. Not sure about the quality/workmanship though. His name card states "Eagle Design, subsidiary of Hoon Hoe Brothers". Hoon Hoe is listed in hdb website and radac, but Eagle Design is NOT listed. He said that Eagle Design is created so the customers can avoid paying GST. If I were to engage him, should I insist on getting the contract done by Hoon Hoe instead of Eagle Design? Thanks.