Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
plucky

Extension of helper room into yard space

Hi all, just bought an old 2-storey interterrace which I'll be starting A&a in a few months. In the process on selecting an ID or Builder for the work and encountered contrasting advice from the few that I've met. The compound has a large yard which I'm hoping to extend the level 1 maid/store room into a large multifunction room. Due to cost reasons and that this is an old unit, I've no intention of making a double storey extension.

The 2 ID companies I approached said it is possible and mentioned PE cost and submission to BCA etc. The 2 builders I met up to discussed both advised that for first level extension, submissions is usually not done. I know BCA had some guidance on light weight roof lean to extension vs concrete extensions.

As much as not making submission saves cost, I'm wondering if this will risk issues with BCA that bears penalties to the home owner or issues should I sell the unit in future since the blueprint will not show this extension. Any thoughts or am I simply over thinking 😅

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

No need submission but you still need a PE to draw up the design, etc. as long as the extension is done according to regulations, should not affect future sales even without submissions. Just don’t extend all the way to your rear boundary line as this is illegal and will affect your future sale of the house as buyers can use this as reason to back out of purchase. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, plucky said:

Thanks snoozee. The attached from BCA was what got us edgy. Your tip is very helpful! 

note the part of RC roof. if you decide to do RC roof, then submission can't be avoided.

• Thanks 1