Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cheesecake

Wedding Dinners On Weekdays

Actually the purpose of having a dinner banquet is for friends/relatives to enjoy the day with you. and thus, i feel the best atmosphere/mood is when everyone knows they won't have to drag their feet to work the next day, or attend your dinner wondering what time they should leave. and thus, Fris/Sats are always the best.

Esp Sats, everyone comes to your dinner looking fresh, beaming. Whether they come straight from home or leisurely saturday activities, beats those coming straight from work on weekdays, bringing along their fatigue looks and so on...*trying to smile very hard* while thinking about work and facing the boss next day..haha

If it's all only about oneself and his/her spouse, then forget about the dinner banquet and just do away with the dinner ba..hehe...save $$ somemore

but understand that if it's mainly cos of parents and so on, then just get a cheaper hotel venue, restaurant instead of hotel, and one will be able to get his/her dinner done on a weekend without bursting one's budget :notti:

did not make a loss on my saturday dinner, actually made a provision for loss about 10k or so, but fortunately, did not happen :dunno:

Edited by compassvale

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
If it's all only about oneself and his/her spouse, then forget about the dinner banquet and just do away with the dinner ba..hehe...save $$ somemore

but understand that if it's mainly cos of parents and so on, then just get a cheaper hotel venue, restaurant instead of hotel, and one will be able to get his/her dinner done on a weekend without bursting one's budget :notti:

Wow, u say the exact same things as my fren...she also asked me to forget abt having a dinner if cost is such a concern....Restaurants on weekend are not cheap too...As in, well above the market rate for restaurants. I tink as long as the menu prices are above market rate of angbaos, whether hold at hotel or restaurant, losses will be inevitable. Btw, can share when was your dinner & how tables u've had??

actually, prices of some restaurant dinners on weekends are actually cheaper than some hotels on weekdays :notti:

but we youngsters nowadays, want class/ambience, want budget also...so there comes the problem of finding a good compromise between the 2.

actually i believe some of us here would have gone without the dinner if not for our parents preference. not that these requests are overly demanding or watsoever, we are our parents' darlings, definitely they want to let friends/relatives know that their sons/daughters have found their happiness and so on...so good also to make them happy lah :dunno:

my dinner was about half a year back and 28 tables

Appreciate your honest views very much...u r rite abt youngsters wanting everything! Want cheap want good :dunno:

Yes, restaurant dinners on weekends are generally cheaper than hotel dinners on weekdays. But ppl give angbaos based on venues, so the losses for restaurant dinners on weekends mayb even more for hotel dinners on weekdays simply becos ppl give more for hotels. Its like $800 per table for hotel dinner on weekday & near $700 for restaurant dinner on weekends. I tink the restaurant dinner will lugi more....

But i agree with you dat we shldnt inconvenience our guests....dats y im quite headache over this. Mayb im having a headache becos the restaurant im looking at is actually abit expensive for the weekend....I can go for cheaper restaurants definitely. But i guess im vain loh...prefer the more expensive restaurant :notti:

Appreciate your honest views very much...u r rite abt youngsters wanting everything! Want cheap want good zz

Yes, restaurant dinners on weekends are generally cheaper than hotel dinners on weekdays. But ppl give angbaos based on venues, so the losses for restaurant dinners on weekends mayb even more for hotel dinners on weekdays simply becos ppl give more for hotels. Its like $800 per table for hotel dinner on weekday & near $700 for restaurant dinner on weekends. I tink the restaurant dinner will lugi more....

But i agree with you dat we shldnt inconvenience our guests....dats y im quite headache over this. Mayb im having a headache becos the restaurant im looking at is actually abit expensive for the weekend....I can go for cheaper restaurants definitely. But i guess im vain loh...prefer the more expensive restaurant :dunno:

I dont think you are vain. Once a lifetime event. Everyone wants it to be grand and special. Either choose your heart or your pocket. It is always a tough decision.

If you are vain, then I am worse. Wanted a grand wedding with nice ballroom and deco, knowing it will burn super big hole of our pocket, we still go ahead. :notti: Having it at hotel, 788++ per table. Even my colleagues commented is expensive. :dunno:

Although did set aside some percentage of losses, but still worry abt it.

Sounds like slapping my own face ya.. :D

Xinyi, tink all women wan grand ballroom with nice deco! haha...i myself would love to hold my wedding in a nice hotel with ambience & all but cant bear to spend the $ lidat...so end up looking at restaurants but they arent' very cheap either...in fact, its more worth it if i take weekday. Dats headache :notti: But then, my hubby doesnt like the weekday menu, he prefers the weekend menu so he thought we might as well hold on weekend. But me hor...heh, very stingy, hope can save more $ by holding it on a weekday. Hence i started this thread to gather more views...

Dun wori abt it, my hubby's fren holding it at the same hotel as u & on New Year's eve somemore! Not sure if he has considered the countdown parties & closure of roads & all but im sure his price for one table is very scary loh!:dunno: So me & hubby will bao $250 for him for 2 of us...can u advise if dats enuf since urs also Oriental? :dunno: He's my hubby's best buddie, reali dun wan him to lugi, at least for the 2 of us loh...

Xinyi, tink all women wan grand ballroom with nice deco! haha...i myself would love to hold my wedding in a nice hotel with ambience & all but cant bear to spend the $ lidat...so end up looking at restaurants but they arent' very cheap either...in fact, its more worth it if i take weekday. Dats headache :dancingqueen: But then, my hubby doesnt like the weekday menu, he prefers the weekend menu so he thought we might as well hold on weekend. But me hor...heh, very stingy, hope can save more $ by holding it on a weekday. Hence i started this thread to gather more views...

Dun wori abt it, my hubby's fren holding it at the same hotel as u & on New Year's eve somemore! Not sure if he has considered the countdown parties & closure of roads & all but im sure his price for one table is very scary loh!:dunno: So me & hubby will bao $250 for him for 2 of us...can u advise if dats enuf since urs also Oriental? :dunno: He's my hubby's best buddie, reali dun wan him to lugi, at least for the 2 of us loh...

Hmm.. if i rem correctly, 2007 pricing is $888++ for weekend. And, my coordinator said, special dates will need to pay additional 5k as surcharge.

$250 should be enough to cover. :) Anyway, your friend will need to return you when your big day arrives.

The recent wedding me and my hubby went was in july at fullerton. It is a sunday, we bao $228 for him. My hubby got ask him, what is the cost of per table, he ans $1.3k plus (taxes and alcohol). Meaning what we gave him is not enough to cover.

So far for my friends, I will bao at least $100, regardless for venue, except for those not-so-close colleagues. Once I bao $68 for my ex-colleague, she held at dragon gate 88. But I believe is enough to cover, because have check out the prices.. hehe.. :P

Fwah!:dancingqueen: 5K surcharge??? Siao leh reali :dunno: This guy can afford lar but he reali going all out for his wife! Whew...ok, at least we noe $250 is enuf...Juz enuf to cover *gulp* Haa...mine 90% is restaurant liao, he cant be giving $250 with his wife for restaurant loh...As long as he can come, we r hapi liao...my hubby will be his xiong di & he will be giving my hubby angbao as appreciation too...so we arent sure if $250 is enuf.

$68 for dragon gate sure enuf...i tink their prices is about $450++ per table. My hubby had this fren who had his at an Yishun restaurant last yr. No $ & in a rush to hold dinner (cos shot-gun) but he received many angbaos as much as $100 :dunno: His one table is only $400 max. Everyone noes he will need the $ for his baby so everyone gave alot more...so nice of them rite :P

Edited by cheesecake

Fwah!:thumbs up: 5K surcharge??? Siao leh reali :bangwall: This guy can afford lar but he reali going all out for his wife! Whew...ok, at least we noe $250 is enuf...Juz enuf to cover *gulp* Haa...mine 90% is restaurant liao, he cant be giving $250 with his wife for restaurant loh...As long as he can come, we r hapi liao...my hubby will be his xiong di & he will be giving my hubby angbao as appreciation too...so we arent sure if $250 is enuf.

$68 for dragon gate sure enuf...i tink their prices is about $450++ per table. My hubby had this fren who had his at an Yishun restaurant last yr. No $ & in a rush to hold dinner (cos shot-gun) but he received many angbaos as much as $100 :bangwall: His one table is only $400 max. Everyone noes he will need the $ for his baby so everyone gave alot more...so nice of them rite !!

The price to pay for hot dates like new year eve, 080808 date and so on.. I believe the surcharge applys to all hotels..

Since your hubby be his brother.. can recover back some cash.. so should be ok. :bangwall:

Once I be jie mei, end up i gotten $100 angbao from gate crashing and bride's parents. Then I bao $100 for her wedding dinner @ Rasa Sentosa.. So end up breakeven. I din expect that. Hehe.

Hey, my sec sch friend also throw her banquet at Yishun, in a country club.. That was few years back. She ROM liao, but went for a short honeymoon at genting, who knows she is preggy from that trip. Also rushing for dinner. heh~ That was 4 yrs back. I bao $100 for her. !!

*hahah* no prob. wait for my AD which is mid dec...will keep u gals updated. :unsure:

but i am settng aside $6 k loss..just in case lar. :yamseng:

its good that you're setting aside some loss so that you're mentally prepared. whether profit/loss doesnt matter la bcos holding banquet isnt purely just want to make $$$ mah. its for everybody to share your joy and love union. :D

*hahah* no prob. wait for my AD which is mid dec...will keep u gals updated. :unsure:

but i am settng aside $6 k loss..just in case lar. :yamseng:

haha.. same here.. not enough i need to rob bank liao.. haha..

Anyway, share the overall experience too! :D

How is your wedding prep so far??

Did not went thru the long posts so not sure if my points are repeated.

Anyway, I had my wedding banquet on Monday, but the tea ceremony was on Sunday. There was no problems at all, in fact alot of people liked it.

You see, after the tea ceremony and all the photo-taking on sunday, everyone can go home and have a good rest. Wifey & me check-in at about 3pm then went relaxing at spa; even had a drink at the bar with some friends. On monday morning, it was late breakfast and more relaxing at the spa and gym. We started to prepare for the dinner at about 4pm, taking our own sweet time.

Compared that to the usual 'one-whole-day' event, where the couple rush thru everything, this was certainly better. Attendance for the banquet was good, we even had to open our two reserve tables.

humm..we just selected our cards design..going for printing soon.

jie meis settled..guest list finalised soon ba..target to send out invites in mid sept.

can share how is the design of the cards? any gold strings/ribbon added? :D

Did not went thru the long posts so not sure if my points are repeated.

Anyway, I had my wedding banquet on Monday, but the tea ceremony was on Sunday. There was no problems at all, in fact alot of people liked it.

You see, after the tea ceremony and all the photo-taking on sunday, everyone can go home and have a good rest. Wifey & me check-in at about 3pm then went relaxing at spa; even had a drink at the bar with some friends. On monday morning, it was late breakfast and more relaxing at the spa and gym. We started to prepare for the dinner at about 4pm, taking our own sweet time.

Compared that to the usual 'one-whole-day' event, where the couple rush thru everything, this was certainly better. Attendance for the banquet was good, we even had to open our two reserve tables.

That's quite a good arrangement too.

can i give my input too? :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

hmm... actually i dun mind whether it's a weekday or weekend weddings. coz normally only ppl whom i considered as friends then i'll attend :unsure:

not that i want to save on my ang baos... just that i dun like to go attend for the sake of attending. i want to attend coz i'm sincerely happy for them.

so far i've 2 friends and my BIL's bro who had their wedding dinners on weekdays.

2 friends held theirs in Marriot and Sheraton. BIL's bro in furama riverfront.

i've no problems with going to dinners on weekdays. coz i can just get off work at around 6pm+, go for light snacks and turn up punctually. A coordinator once told me that weekday dinners tend to start on time and ended earlier coz ppl will go directly from work.

cheesecake, quite sad to hear that ur friends commented like this... prob they havent gone thru the phase that's why they dunno how frustrating it is. even if cost is the main factor, i still think that they should put themselves in ur shoes :( prob u can get other friends to be ur jie meis?

as for alcohol consumption, i dun tink weekdays ppl will consume less alcohol. i had my dinner on a saturday and the red wine consumption is far below our expectations! i guess our friends din wanna drink too much coz they wanna help us save cost. nevertheless, tink hubby gave some of the bottles to his good friends after the dinner :)

actually i dun really like saturdays or sundays dinner... coz i gotta restrict myself from going out coz lazy to go out then go home and makeup etc etc... but as i said, seldom have this prob oso coz normally the dinners i attended are my close frens or colleagues :good:

in fact we had considered putting the day on a weekday as well. but my MIL wanted it to be a saturday so no choice... so it happens that that saturday is our anniversary so just as well :)

my ROM is on a weekday coz we din want to select another venue as ROM is not open on weekends. hubby's godfather did commented why we wanna put it on a saturday (speaking in an interrogative tone to me!) but his daughters simply "told" him off by saying it's our wedding why shd he interfere! :P

close friends and relatives will not mind taking a day off to help u out :)

cheesecake, just go ahead with what u want! i mean, is ur wedding... so u shd be calling the shots!!

Edited by Fifi