Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
stargaaz

City Gas Or Conventional Lpg ?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I would never have a cylinder full of gas inside my house. The LPG guy can go on and on about how safe it is, but piped gas will always be safer.

Anyway, staying with my parents' now, six pax in the house and cook quite frequently, gas bills only few tens of dollars per month. So in terms of saving money, LPG also doesn't make sense to me.

Huh what can happen to piped gas?

nothing about dangerous or gas leak...about the irregularity in billing. anyway my family used to gas cylinder for the last 30 over years...so not much of a hassle to me.

I will go for city gas. No need to worry about no gas and space.

Cost-wise, also affordable. Think electric is the killer, then water with all the extra charge.

LPG, cos last time, gas pipe leak & conceal in cornice. Electrician says cornice man problem.

Later become my problem. Also hardly used, so no choice case.

nothing about dangerous or gas leak...about the irregularity in billing. anyway my family used to gas cylinder for the last 30 over years...so not much of a hassle to me.

the recent big blast at Bt Merah flat was caused by LPG gas...

LPG gas is heavier than air, and hence if leak, will sink to the floor and could accumulate quickly to dangerous quantity inside the flat because the LPG cannot escape via the opened windows (window is at least 1 m above floor)... there will be a powerful blast if ignited...

in contrast, piped gas is lighter than air, and will float towards the ceiling and could escape via the opened windows... as long as windows are opened, it is not likely the leaked piped gas could accumulate to dangerous quantity inside the flat...

in this respect, piped gas is safer than LPG gas...

the recent big blast at Bt Merah flat was caused by LPG gas...

LPG gas is heavier than air, and hence if leak, will sink to the floor and could accumulate quickly to dangerous quantity inside the flat because the LPG cannot escape via the opened windows (window is at least 1 m above floor)... there will be a powerful blast if ignited...

in contrast, piped gas is lighter than air, and will float towards the ceiling and could escape via the opened windows... as long as windows are opened, it is not likely the leaked piped gas could accumulate to dangerous quantity inside the flat...

in this respect, piped gas is safer than LPG gas...

care to read this piece of news? :sport-smiley-018:

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfriendly...,139546,00.html

It's a MIRACLE we are all alive

Family cooks, sleeps for two weeks in condo unit with leaking gas pipe

FOR two weeks this family danced with danger and survived.

By Ng Hui Hui

23 August 2007

Madam M Chen, 51, smelt gas but didn't know that it was coming from her unit.

And all this while the family continued to cook.

Madam Chen and her family had moved into their new condominium unit at Mirage Tower in Kim Seng Road just two weeks ago.

But unknown to them, a concealed gas pipe was leaking. It turned out that their sub-contractor had accidentally drilled into it while renovating the place.

Last Saturday, the smell got worse when they closed the windows and switched on the air-conditioner in the living room.

Madam Chen, a housewife, told The New Paper: 'My children were uncomfortable. Their tuition teacher also complained about the smell.'

Her children are aged 7 and 10.

Thinking that it was the air-conditioner 'leaking some kind of gas', she contacted the technician. But he told her that it was not the case and advised her to contact Citigas - which supplies gas to her condo.

The same day, a technician from Citigas visited her house and confirmed that a gas pipe in the kitchen was leaking.

SAVED BY GOOD VENTILATION

Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG), can be ignited if there's a certain percentage of it in the air.

LPG, which can build up very rapidly in poorly ventilated areas, can cause death if one inhales too much of it.

Pointing to the window beneath the false ceiling where the gas pipe was punctured, she said: 'Thank goodness the ventilation here is very good. We always leave the window open in the day and would close it only at night.'

Citigas has since cut off the gas supply to her unit.

Madam Chen said she had installed the false ceiling to conceal the water pipes.

She was still upset when The New Paper visited her yesterday.

She said it was a miracle that nothing had happened despite the fact that they had been cooking all the while.

She contacted her contractor from ID.com the same day Citigas told her about the punctured pipe.

The contractor was recommended by her property agent and the renovations had cost her about $50,000.

When contacted, manager of ID.com Lynn Liew said her company had sub-contracted the work to Wen Yi Plastering Decor.

Ms Liew also said that it was the first time she was working with this sub-contractor.

Mr Eric Tan, 36, owner of Wen Yi Plastering Decor, said he had visited Madam Chen's unit with his worker last Monday to assess the damage.

He said the pipe was concealed behind a wall and that before the renovations were carried out, they were not told of the gas pipe there.

He said he was unsure if his workers had done any checks as he was not around to supervise.

'It is standard procedure that when we do any renovation work, the main switch to the gas would be turned off. That is why we did not detect any leak during the renovation,' he said.

The pipe was punctured when his workers drilled holes in the wall to secure metal mounts that support the false ceiling.

'We were just unlucky to drill into the pipe,' he said.

Madam Chen said she had asked Citigas to repair the pipe tomorrow.

Mr Tan said he would bear the cost of the repair.

He said he will also fix and repaint the ceiling for her at no extra cost.

I have personal experience with City gas of "Any how charge".

When I first got my new HDB flat, I sign them up at the 2nd appointment for it. The house totally un-renovated, bare house with the external GAS meter not connected. During the renovation, I receive the bill of GAS $7.06.

So wondering why is this reflected in my bill. I call up and the reply from the lady is, when the gas is initiately turn on it needed to fill up the gas pipe inside the house so that is the cost to it.

But how could gas transmit via open air where the external meter is not install and there is open air connectivity between the house and external supply? Also how much gas will it cost just to fill up the single small pipe if the gas could come in? That is expensive base on Cube meter calculation!

After this, I give up and have LPG.

care to read this piece of news? :sport-smiley-018:

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/printfriendly...,139546,00.html

It's a MIRACLE we are all alive

Family cooks, sleeps for two weeks in condo unit with leaking gas pipe

By Ng Hui Hui

23 August 2007

Madam M Chen, 51, smelt gas but didn't know that it was coming from her unit.

And all this while the family continued to cook.

Madam Chen and her family had moved into their new condominium unit at Mirage Tower in Kim Seng Road just two weeks ago.

But unknown to them, a concealed gas pipe was leaking. It turned out that their sub-contractor had accidentally drilled into it while renovating the place.

Last Saturday, the smell got worse when they closed the windows and switched on the air-conditioner in the living room.

Madam Chen, a housewife, told The New Paper: 'My children were uncomfortable. Their tuition teacher also complained about the smell.'

Her children are aged 7 and 10.

Thinking that it was the air-conditioner 'leaking some kind of gas', she contacted the technician. But he told her that it was not the case and advised her to contact Citigas - which supplies gas to her condo.

The same day, a technician from Citigas visited her house and confirmed that a gas pipe in the kitchen was leaking.

SAVED BY GOOD VENTILATION

Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG), can be ignited if there's a certain percentage of it in the air.

LPG, which can build up very rapidly in poorly ventilated areas, can cause death if one inhales too much of it.

Pointing to the window beneath the false ceiling where the gas pipe was punctured, she said: 'Thank goodness the ventilation here is very good. We always leave the window open in the day and would close it only at night.'

Citigas has since cut off the gas supply to her unit.

Madam Chen said she had installed the false ceiling to conceal the water pipes.

She was still upset when The New Paper visited her yesterday.

She said it was a miracle that nothing had happened despite the fact that they had been cooking all the while.

She contacted her contractor from ID.com the same day Citigas told her about the punctured pipe.

The contractor was recommended by her property agent and the renovations had cost her about $50,000.

When contacted, manager of ID.com Lynn Liew said her company had sub-contracted the work to Wen Yi Plastering Decor.

Ms Liew also said that it was the first time she was working with this sub-contractor.

Mr Eric Tan, 36, owner of Wen Yi Plastering Decor, said he had visited Madam Chen's unit with his worker last Monday to assess the damage.

He said the pipe was concealed behind a wall and that before the renovations were carried out, they were not told of the gas pipe there.

He said he was unsure if his workers had done any checks as he was not around to supervise.

'It is standard procedure that when we do any renovation work, the main switch to the gas would be turned off. That is why we did not detect any leak during the renovation,' he said.

The pipe was punctured when his workers drilled holes in the wall to secure metal mounts that support the false ceiling.

'We were just unlucky to drill into the pipe,' he said.

Madam Chen said she had asked Citigas to repair the pipe tomorrow.

Mr Tan said he would bear the cost of the repair.

He said he will also fix and repaint the ceiling for her at no extra cost.

Imagine if it had been a faulty LPG tank that was leaking... perhaps the consequences are likely to be more severe like in the Bt Merah flat case...

there are pros and cons with both LPG and Citygas... as long as we know them and make an informed decision, either choice can be suitable...

Edited by redbottle

Imagine if it had been a faulty LPG tank that was leaking... perhaps the consequences are likely to be more severe like in the Bt Merah flat case...

there are pros and cons with both LPG and Citygas... as long as we know them and make an informed decision, either choice can be suitable...

ya precisely. danger or not depends on the human factor. Many whom i spoke to who prefer cylinder over piped gas is due the nonsense billing.

piped gas or cylinders - cos it's still the same LPG unless one stays in Jurong area.

from citygas's website -

Availability of natural gas in Singapore

Natural gas infrastructure is currently available in Tuas and Jurong areas.

For more information, click here .

actually even if both city gas and cylinder gas are of the same type of gas, the absolute quantity of flammable gas in the kitchen/flat is definitely less for piped gas than cylindrical gas.

meaning, there is so much flammable material in a gas cylinder that the gas is now in a liquefied state - so much gas material to combust in the gas cylinder compared to the amount of gas molecules in a given kitchen pipeline tat are in gaseous state.

if 2 kitchens explode, one with a gas cylinder and another with gas piping,

i rather take my chance with the one having gas piping..the explosion should be less severe cos there are less gas molecules to expode.

choy-ous though :bangwall:

but no matter one uses citygas or cylinder gas, once smell anything funny, better do a check :furious:

Edited by compassvale