Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
erictan

Looking For Zen/traditional-jap I.d/contractors

Hello fellow forumers,

Thanks for the tips you have contributed here, many of which have helped me lots on conceptualizing my dream home and picking my I.D.

Here's my problem - my wife and I have come to terms to make over our new homes as a traditional jap style, which later realised due to budget constraints, we finally settled at a traditional zen, which minimalist so cost less *LOL*

We have scructized many IDs and none fits our bill. I can tell during our initial meetup, and they sound to me like typical commercial salespersons, trying to offer my "quick-fix" template of their previous work. Many don't even understand the significance about Zen. And how on earth can they design it even?

Despite my long hard search of 3 months, I finally found one - which impressed me about her knowledge and so far she seems the best to be able to deliver the goods. However, as I had expected, it doesn't come cheap.

As I understand from her, the bulk of the cost is mainly from the carpentry works, as there are many wood material involved - platforms, japanese sliding door (shoji), corner detailing.

One alternative she offered is I find my own contractor, and she will only charge me for the design fees.

I am calling for help - do you know of any other I.D. who have done up your home as Zen/Traditional Jap theme? Or do you know of any good contractor who is affordable and most importantly, the carpentry skill is of high quality? Appreciate if you can share me their contact.

Thanks with love!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hello fellow forumers,

Thanks for the tips you have contributed here, many of which have helped me lots on conceptualizing my dream home and picking my I.D.

Here's my problem - my wife and I have come to terms to make over our new homes as a traditional jap style, which later realised due to budget constraints, we finally settled at a traditional zen, which minimalist so cost less *LOL*

We have scructized many IDs and none fits our bill. I can tell during our initial meetup, and they sound to me like typical commercial salespersons, trying to offer my "quick-fix" template of their previous work. Many don't even understand the significance about Zen. And how on earth can they design it even?

Despite my long hard search of 3 months, I finally found one - which impressed me about her knowledge and so far she seems the best to be able to deliver the goods. However, as I had expected, it doesn't come cheap.

As I understand from her, the bulk of the cost is mainly from the carpentry works, as there are many wood material involved - platforms, japanese sliding door (shoji), corner detailing.

One alternative she offered is I find my own contractor, and she will only charge me for the design fees.

I am calling for help - do you know of any other I.D. who have done up your home as Zen/Traditional Jap theme? Or do you know of any good contractor who is affordable and most importantly, the carpentry skill is of high quality? Appreciate if you can share me their contact.

Thanks with love!

Well eric,

Doing a traditional Zen dont come cheap. Me too loves that concept but budget aswell so l'm doing minimal as possible-contemporary zen instead. They are two different things traditional & contemporary. Since the i/d told u to source urself for contractor for slight cheaper deal-why not engaged direct contractor instead. Save u alot of $$$ trust me. Basically, u already know how u want it right? What u can do is-if u like the design that the particular id had shown u-perhaps u could use the ideas n tell the contractor but if u unsure then u can buy their design/ideas from them.. as far as l know market price is btwn $100-$250. l'm meeting up a contractor intro by forumer this weekend for quotation, if u interested Pm me ok.

Best of luck!

Well eric,

Doing a traditional Zen dont come cheap. Me too loves that concept but budget aswell so l'm doing minimal as possible-contemporary zen instead. They are two different things traditional & contemporary. Since the i/d told u to source urself for contractor for slight cheaper deal-why not engaged direct contractor instead. Save u alot of $$$ trust me. Basically, u already know how u want it right? What u can do is-if u like the design that the particular id had shown u-perhaps u could use the ideas n tell the contractor but if u unsure then u can buy their design/ideas from them.. as far as l know market price is btwn $100-$250. l'm meeting up a contractor intro by forumer this weekend for quotation, if u interested Pm me ok.

Best of luck!

that's what I'm planning to do and hire my own contractor directly. The thing is my working schedule is quite hecty, and will need a coordinator to work closely with the contractors. I reckon that the design is better explained with detailed layout plan and 3d perspective drawings, which I'm going to pay my designer to do it.

Are you doing comtemporary zen? Keep me posted how you think about your contractors? Mind sharing his contacts with me?

Well eric,

Best of luck!

that's what I'm planning to do and hire my own contractor directly. The thing is my working schedule is quite hecty, and will need a coordinator to work closely with the contractors. I reckon that the design is better explained with detailed layout plan and 3d perspective drawings, which I'm going to pay my designer to do it.

Are you doing comtemporary zen? Keep me posted how you think about your contractors? Mind sharing his contacts with me?

Quite like your idea of getting a designer to design and get a contractor to do, can advise how much will the designer charge? Thanks.

Designer fees varies from a few hundreds to thousands, really depends on your designer's profile and how much time they spend on the design. I spoke to two designers, one of which is a professional japanese designer who can spend 45 days on understanding your requirements, drawing detailed layout plan, and comes out with all the furniture blueprint - he charges like $8 per sq ft :jawdrop:

I'm now talking to the other designer now. I reckon it's about a few hundreds.