Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Cyberkinetic

Is It Common/acceptable To Have Tiles Which Is Hollow Sounding At The Corners?

We were checking on the floor tiles this morning using the "coin tapping" method... and found quite a few tiles which sounded hollow at the corners.

When the contractor came, and we showed it to him, he said it is common and acceptable to have slight hollow on the corners as the tilers will need to leave a little gap when they lay the tiles. Unless it is hollow in the main part of the tiles, else there's no need to do anything about it. Eventually he told us no need to tap anymore and that he will get the tiler to come and inject some chemical stuff into the corners by making little holes along the grout lines and injecting the stuff under the tiles(which according to him, acts like glue or something).

Not convinced about what he said after all the incidents we've with him, so needed some other opinions on this. Many thanks in advance... :(

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I also had the problem as you last time during my renovation of my hse. I used masking tape and marked a cross the part which is hollow. My also the same problem the main part is ok only surrounding is hollow.

I called my main contractor to cme down and show it to him. He straight away called his subcon and fuk him upside down. They take out the affected tile and replace it with new tile. No joke leh...they had to cut out the tile and slowly chip it out then hack away the old cement and sand. After that put new cement and sand then the new tile.

Total i found 28 pieces of hollow tiles and he replaces all with new tile for me. It take them 4 days to finish the job...the way i see they do..really no easy sia.

Therefore ppl ask mi my contractor good anot? I dun know how to ans them :P

I think there's more than 28 pieces just in my bedrooms... but yr contractor, i can't say good or bad... at least he changes the tiles.. mine? he just called up the sub-con and ask them to inject the chemical thingy.. which i dunno the long term effects... **** sickening lar.. I can say for sure, my contractor SUCKS...

I also had the problem as you last time during my renovation of my hse. I used masking tape and marked a cross the part which is hollow. My also the same problem the main part is ok only surrounding is hollow.

I called my main contractor to cme down and show it to him. He straight away called his subcon and fuk him upside down. They take out the affected tile and replace it with new tile. No joke leh...they had to cut out the tile and slowly chip it out then hack away the old cement and sand. After that put new cement and sand then the new tile.

Total i found 28 pieces of hollow tiles and he replaces all with new tile for me. It take them 4 days to finish the job...the way i see they do..really no easy sia.

Therefore ppl ask mi my contractor good anot? I dun know how to ans them :P