Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kelstorm

Renovation Nightmare/scam

Recently, i decided to engage a renovation contractor, Uni Craft Design Studio, to do my renovation after being recommended. Didnt wanna go to more reputatable ID firms coz i know what i wanted and sketched out the design.

Story cut short; Quotation signed, 50% down payment made, schedule and invoice delayed but obtained later.

Start of nightmare began when actual demolishing work took too long and i went to the place during lunch time and to my dismay, only one work is seen removing all existing carpentry. I called the contractor and he promised that he will still be on time.

week one had passed, progress minimal, called contractor, promised he look into it.
week two had passed, painted only 2 walls and demolished 60% of the existing carpentry work. Demolished items not cleared.
week three, no progress. Decided to terminate the contract due to progress.

unable to get the contractor, sms and calls goes unanswered...nightmare begins.

1. went to the registered company address, found that they are no longer located at the site.

2. went to the company owner home address, managed to get the contract terminated on the spot, excuses given, unable to recover the money, asked for 10 days grace to return the deposit.. Alarm bells ringing. According to the biz owner, the partner had scammed 4 other house owners... sigh... Trying to recover part of the deposit now by all means now. Hopefully can recoup back.

Lesson learnt;

1. Visit the contractor's company site to ensure that it is as stated as in the ROC

2. Insist on getting an invoice immediately, if possible, sign at the company location.

3. Go for reputable contractors/ID even though they maybe slightly more expensive. It is not worth the hassle and stress.

It is just my bad luck to meet this contractor. Now hv to look for another contractor to clear up the mess and blow my renovation budget by 50%...

If anyone had the same experience and managed to recoup the deposit, pls advise. Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation