Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Umaisarah

Warning About Unethical Practice

Hi everyone

Something happened to me last Friday that got me quite upset that I'm compelled to write this as a fair warning to everyone.

I went down to this flooring company to get a quote on some flooring works I want done in my living room. It was my 2nd visit; on the 1st visit I didn't bring my floorplan so this time, I remembered to bring one so they can give me a more accurate quotation. The person who tended to me wasn't around so his colleague served me.

I gave him my floor plan and he went to make a copy, as is the usual practice. He took some time to come back which got me curious. Make photocopy take so long meh? Anyway, he came back and we talked a little bit. He asked me what was the quote his colleague gave me, and I said it was abt $13K for estimated 600 square foot area (I was asking for engineered wood floor). So, he started using his ruler to measure the area in the floor plan, I was sitting right in front of him when he did that, and then when he finished, he made a face and announced that the area is actually more than 600 square foot, it's actually 700+ square foot.

My jaw literally dropped. I told him he must have made a mistake because lo and behold, I unveiled my secret weapon, which is I've done my own measurement and know roughly that the area is about 538 square foot, not even 600! And just a few days before, I had gone to another reno contractor, and he also measured, using the floor plan, that the area to be floored is about 500+. So how can my house suddenly expand by more than 20%?? I still didn't suspect anything, in fact I asked the guy if the area is high because they've already factored in wastage. He said yes but then I realised even with 10% wastage, the area cannot be off by so much. So I asked him to compare the areas with my measurements, section by section, and when he put the ruler on the paper and start measuring, that's when I noticed it with my own eyes.

THE FLOOR PLAN HAS BEEN MAGNIFIED.

One of the area was 4.4 x 1.2 m in my floor plan. In his it was 5 x 1.7. I asked him "Did you magnify the floor plan?" He just kept quiet, and that silence was all the answer I needed. I remained calm even though inside I was quite angry. I told him that although this quote is just an estimation, and the actual price will depend on onsite measurement, I would still like to have a rough idea of how much it'll cost, and don't want to be turned off by such a high price, that I don't even want to proceed anymore. So instead of gaining a customer, he's losing a potential one. He reassured me that yes, actual price will be based on actual measurements, but inside I've already discounted this company. If they can't even be honest with measuring the floor plan (when I can verify their calculations so easily), how can I trust them to be honest in their other dealings with me?

When I went back, I keep thinking back to what happened, and trying to understand their motive. What is their plan? To use the inflated measurements to give the quote. And then what? When they need to calculate actual price do they have an inflated measuring tape for onsite measurement? Or is the inflated quote the binding price? Did they think I'm not the type who'd bother or know how to use a ruler or measuring tape to find out the dimensions of the floor myself?

I may be way off in my assumption that he was trying to fraud me. But the whole episode just left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm just so disappointed with the company because I had hoped to engage them since they're the only direct supplier I can find which supplies both engineered wood and resilient flooring.The guy let me have the inflated floor plan with the prices so that I can refer to them. Yes, as evidence you're trying to cheat me! When I have the chance I'll upload the pic and compare it with the actual floor plan so you all can judge for yourself.

My question is - is this an isolated incident, or is this the norm? Am I over-reacting ? Could this have been a misunderstanding?

Anyway, let this be fair warning to everyone. If you have a floor plan, do your own measurements so that the contractor doesn't have a chance to bluff you. And monitor what they're doing. Don't leave everything to them. If something feels fishy, it probably is.

Thank you for reading and if you have similar experiences, do share!

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi everyone

Something happened to me last Friday that got me quite upset that I'm compelled to write this as a fair warning to everyone.

I went down to this flooring company to get a quote on some flooring works I want done in my living room. It was my 2nd visit; on the 1st visit I didn't bring my floorplan so this time, I remembered to bring one so they can give me a more accurate quotation. The person who tended to me wasn't around so his colleague served me.

I gave him my floor plan and he went to make a copy, as is the usual practice. He took some time to come back which got me curious. Make photocopy take so long meh? Anyway, he came back and we talked a little bit. He asked me what was the quote his colleague gave me, and I said it was abt $13K for estimated 600 square foot area (I was asking for engineered wood floor). So, he started using his ruler to measure the area in the floor plan, I was sitting right in front of him when he did that, and then when he finished, he made a face and announced that the area is actually more than 600 square foot, it's actually 700+ square foot.

My jaw literally dropped. I told him he must have made a mistake because lo and behold, I unveiled my secret weapon, which is I've done my own measurement and know roughly that the area is about 538 square foot, not even 600! And just a few days before, I had gone to another reno contractor, and he also measured, using the floor plan, that the area to be floored is about 500+. So how can my house suddenly expand by more than 20%?? I still didn't suspect anything, in fact I asked the guy if the area is high because they've already factored in wastage. He said yes but then I realised even with 10% wastage, the area cannot be off by so much. So I asked him to compare the areas with my measurements, section by section, and when he put the ruler on the paper and start measuring, that's when I noticed it with my own eyes.

THE FLOOR PLAN HAS BEEN MAGNIFIED.

One of the area was 4.4 x 1.2 m in my floor plan. In his it was 5 x 1.7. I asked him "Did you magnify the floor plan?" He just kept quiet, and that silence was all the answer I needed. I remained calm even though inside I was quite angry. I told him that although this quote is just an estimation, and the actual price will depend on onsite measurement, I would still like to have a rough idea of how much it'll cost, and don't want to be turned off by such a high price, that I don't even want to proceed anymore. So instead of gaining a customer, he's losing a potential one. He reassured me that yes, actual price will be based on actual measurements, but inside I've already discounted this company. If they can't even be honest with measuring the floor plan (when I can verify their calculations so easily), how can I trust them to be honest in their other dealings with me?

When I went back, I keep thinking back to what happened, and trying to understand their motive. What is their plan? To use the inflated measurements to give the quote. And then what? When they need to calculate actual price do they have an inflated measuring tape for onsite measurement? Or is the inflated quote the binding price? Did they think I'm not the type who'd bother or know how to use a ruler or measuring tape to find out the dimensions of the floor myself?

I may be way off in my assumption that he was trying to fraud me. But the whole episode just left me with a sour taste in my mouth.

I'm just so disappointed with the company because I had hoped to engage them since they're the only direct supplier I can find which supplies both engineered wood and resilient flooring.The guy let me have the inflated floor plan with the prices so that I can refer to them. Yes, as evidence you're trying to cheat me! When I have the chance I'll upload the pic and compare it with the actual floor plan so you all can judge for yourself.

My question is - is this an isolated incident, or is this the norm? Am I over-reacting ? Could this have been a misunderstanding?

Anyway, let this be fair warning to everyone. If you have a floor plan, do your own measurements so that the contractor doesn't have a chance to bluff you. And monitor what they're doing. Don't leave everything to them. If something feels fishy, it probably is.

Thank you for reading and if you have similar experiences, do share!

Always assume that they are not honest.And Indeed most of them are not......Good contribution here!

Disappointed with the sales tactics of one of the more well known flooring company Evo**ch flooring.

Paid a deposit in Jan 2016 and was promised the deposit will be refunded if I changed my mind.

Contacted them a few days later to get the refund as I decided to go for tiles instead.

One month later still have not received the cheque. Contacted them and was told the cheque still waiting for approval from the Managing Director as "he is still overseas" 

Not sure if the Managing Director will ever come back and if I will ever get my refund back. 

You should list the company and the employee.... If the company is reputable, they should resolve with you...If they do, then you should give the them the credit...

It's just a learning experience..for consumers and business...