Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Protect your MONEY and your INTEREST because there are just one too many 'ID firms' in the market. I think this post is somewhat informative. Correct me if I'm wrong! 

The Fact

- Meets up to understand your needs/wants, requirements, budget at their showroom/office

- Proposal with a general direction, floor plan in drawing and of course the ballpark figure. Foresees all possible hiccups, minimizes 'hidden costs' so of course the final figure looks bigger

- Charges a professional fee of $1k up.

- 10-20% deposit payment upon confirmation (Anything more is fishy!!)

- Proceeds with detailed drawings, selection of materials (should be mostly if not all done by the designer themselves), then subsequently 3D upon confirmation. You can get a hard copy for safekeeping too btw.

- 3D perspective should reflect the final works done

- Shopping for lightings, sanitaries, curtains etc. Advice and recommendations on furniture and fittings is a plus point

- Schedule preparation, then application of all necessary paperworks and documentations

- Execution of works with accordance and reference to the detailed drawings with weekly reports

- Rectifications and touch-ups at arranged time/date to home owner's convenience

The Fiction:

- Meets up to understand your needs/wants, requirements, budget set aside at your convenience (your home, shopping malls, cafes, restaurants)

- Proposal with a quotation, generally a price 'too good to be true'.

- Design fees absorbed/ FOC design fees. (No professionals become professionals for free). Sometimes even with 3D at the proposal! (a standard template) 

- Absurdly low fees to 'secure-the-offer-today' of $500-$2000 with no reference to the project amount. Might be even before proposal. (too much is fishy, too low also fishy, so just stick to 10-20%)

- Proceeds with drawings after you selected all your materials. Ok, maybe it's just some pencil-drafted standard stencil

- 3D perspective should reflect the final works done

- Shopping for lightings, sanitaries, curtains etc. Advice and recommendations on furniture and fittings is a plus point

- Schedule preparation, then application of all necessary paperworks and documentations

- Execution of works solely based on their experiences and speech. No paper references except for 3D (which might not be yours in the first place)

- Disappears after the handover, probably delayed

Feel free to add comments and suggestions in case i miss out anything!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation