Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
0001T

Double Glazed Window

Hi, I like to find out about double glazed window. Does it really help reducing the sound level?

problem i am facing now :sport-smiley-004:

i live in jurong west for 5yrs until now when they decided to build the mrt. it's running across, right in front of my unit :sport-smiley-004: . this is the reason why i wanna find out more about the above window.

any contractor to recommend?

thanks

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi, I like to find out about double glazed window. Does it really help reducing the sound level?

problem i am facing now !!

i live in jurong west for 5yrs until now when they decided to build the mrt. it's running across, right in front of my unit :yamseng: . this is the reason why i wanna find out more about the above window.

any contractor to recommend?

thanks

There is this shop in IMM that sell windows.. The shop name is something like "..... grille", I'm sorry that I couldn't recall it. However, the seller explained that thicker windows reduce the noise and a good insulation around the edges do the same. His window is not supposed to reduce noise level, it suppose to reduce the heat or the cold from coming into the house. But when he install the windows on Apt next to Expressway, the clients told him that the noise is greatly reduced.

The price is rather steep - for a normal window, he probably charge between 300 to 400 (material and installation).

There is this shop in IMM that sell windows.. The shop name is something like "..... grille", I'm sorry that I couldn't recall it. However, the seller explained that thicker windows reduce the noise and a good insulation around the edges do the same. His window is not supposed to reduce noise level, it suppose to reduce the heat or the cold from coming into the house. But when he install the windows on Apt next to Expressway, the clients told him that the noise is greatly reduced.

The price is rather steep - for a normal window, he probably charge between 300 to 400 (material and installation).

Yes double glazed window do reduce noise and cut heat transmision. This is due to the construction itself where the window come with 2 glass panel and in-between the panel, suppose to be vaccum. By creating different medium of density (ie glass - vaccum - glass) the noise level can easily be reduced by 90% and heat level about the same. Still some noise can be penatrated through the edge of the window and frame. However, it is quite expensive and subject to their workmanship; if finishing is not so well done, change of weather may cause frosting effect around edge of glass panel and there is no way to clean it as it trap in between the glass panel.

Yes double glazed window do reduce noise and cut heat transmision. This is due to the construction itself where the window come with 2 glass panel and in-between the panel, suppose to be vaccum. By creating different medium of density (ie glass - vaccum - glass) the noise level can easily be reduced by 90% and heat level about the same. Still some noise can be penatrated through the edge of the window and frame. However, it is quite expensive and subject to their workmanship; if finishing is not so well done, change of weather may cause frosting effect around edge of glass panel and there is no way to clean it as it trap in between the glass panel.

i have been working in Main Contractor for many years, never heard or see dirt/dust can go and trap in between the glass panels after formed as double glazing window panels.....

thanks for the replies, this window should be able to solve my problem then :P

other than the shop at imm, any other recommendation?

However, it is quite expensive and subject to their workmanship; if finishing is not so well done, change of weather may cause frosting effect around edge of glass panel and there is no way to clean it as it trap in between the glass panel.

You talking about the far extreme lah - double-grazed windows are usually properly done by professionals, not just 'kiap' two glass panels together and that's it. There are proper mechanisms to secure the panels, which will not allow any external particles to go in.

As for weather, even more impossible - condensation or frosting need to have water in the air. If its a vacuum, how then could condensation form?? :P

You talking about the far extreme lah - double-grazed windows are usually properly done by professionals, not just 'kiap' two glass panels together and that's it. There are proper mechanisms to secure the panels, which will not allow any external particles to go in.

As for weather, even more impossible - condensation or frosting need to have water in the air. If its a vacuum, how then could condensation form?? :P

Precisely that it is a professional work and not 2 panels together. The process is important to ensure it is vacuum thoroughly.

Indeed you have already answer to frosting problem. If the work is not done properly, there will be chances of frosting with the residue air. Besides, if the sealing process is not done properly, air may seep in too causing frosting. So since paying so much already, must really go for a good professional to do it.

Edited by bullet

Precisely that it is a professional work and not 2 panels together. The process is important to ensure it is vacuum thoroughly.

Indeed you have already answer to frosting problem. If the work is not done properly, there will be chances of frosting with the residue air. Besides, if the sealing process is not done properly, air may seep in too causing frosting. So since paying so much already, must really go for a good professional to do it.

Like above someone said, this is really quite rare in the industry, almost never seen before. So why bring it up??

To find a double-glazed windows not vaccum properly is like trying to find a television that don't have teletext - possible, but more impossible lah!!

Bro, we don't get any points for more posts in the forum one leh... :P:dancingqueen:

the date has drawn near, and they are now testing the mrt and dun think i can take it...

really need help on this; i need contacts of contractors who do double glazed window, other than the one at imm.

thank u

Edited by 0001T

the date has drawn near, and they are now testing the mrt and dun think i can take it...

really need help on this; i need contacts of contractors who do double glazed window, other than the one at imm.

thank u

Hi 0001T,

just to check, is your window slide or casement? If sliding window, dun bother to change as it dun help at all. Previously staying along road side, spent almost $3k to change masterbedroom and living room window, contractor promised that at least 80% cut down of noise. But end result, totally not effect.