Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
zacey

Need Help For Armchair

hi all,

anyone know how to solve this problem?? Juz bought a highback armchair for my studyroom.. but the wheels doesnt seem to be able to move properly... just oil it will do or wat should i do ah??

someone can help??? :dancingqueen:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
hi all,

anyone know how to solve this problem?? Juz bought a highback armchair for my studyroom.. but the wheels doesnt seem to be able to move properly... just oil it will do or wat should i do ah??

someone can help??? !!

See if you can bring it back to change? Or perhaps check with seller (make a call) if it is meant not to move that much?

Actually, what you mean by "doesn't seem to be able to move properly"? The wheels don't rotate easily, or they are very tight?

See if you can bring it back to change? Or perhaps check with seller (make a call) if it is meant not to move that much?

Actually, what you mean by "doesn't seem to be able to move properly"? The wheels don't rotate easily, or they are very tight?

sorry for not being very clear... just found out that the wheels are known as castors?? :D

ya.. the wheels cannot rotate easily... dun understand why... but my sister's can move smoothly... does it help if we change the castors??? :)

sorry for not being very clear... just found out that the wheels are known as castors?? :)

ya.. the wheels cannot rotate easily... dun understand why... but my sister's can move smoothly... does it help if we change the castors??? :notti:

I think you also meant "caster".

check this link on Chair casters

Changing the caster will help, but also check if this can be done easily? If it is just one of the casters not rotating smoothly, then change it (check with the shop you bought from). However, if all of the casters appear to have the same 'problem', then it may well be the design that it was meant not to roll so smoothly. Some people may not like their chairs to roll that smoothly. Imagine any upper body movement and your chair moves?

In addition, perhaps more importantly, check if your casters are suitable for your floor type. Some good casters may come will 'rubber' padding, and some don't. In the end, you don't want to have scratch marks on your parquet floor.

I found this on some website (hence some info in the last paragraph is not relevant in local context). Click on here, scroll down to "Office Safety", and click on the last point "Office Chair Casters" :

Office chairs can be supplied with two types of casters. Based on the floor surface within the office area, caster selection is very important:

• For use on carpeting; Order HARD wheel casters

• For use on hard floors (i.e. tile); Order SOFT wheel casters

• For use on vinyl floors; Order SOFT wheel casters

• For use on chairmats; Order SOFT wheel casters.

Departments must be sure to specify the appropriate type of caster when purchasing new office equipment. If you have the wrong type casters, your department must order new, appropriate casters, or install a rubber, carpet or plastic mat to protect the floor.

Hard casters are not to be used on floor tiles. If a chair with hard casters is used on a hard floor, the casters will quickly remove the finish and begin abrading the tile surface and/or the caster itself.

Besides damaging the flooring material, if the floor tiles contain asbestos, this abrasion, if severe enough, can cause asbestos particles in the tile to potentially be released. Newer floor tiles do not contain asbestos fibers, however, asbestos is common in older tiles. Contact EHS or Facility Services to determine if your tiles contain asbestos.

To help determine what type of casters you have, use the following guidelines:

• Hard casters usually become worn themselves and will have a very rough surface. Worn casters on a worn tile floor will be very noisy when rolled.

• Soft casters you usually can dent the caster with your finger nail.

• Contact EHS or Facility Services to determine caster type if needed.

If you find you are using a chair with hard casters on a tile floor, have the casters replaced ASAP (Central Stores has some styles of casters), or have Custodial bring you a walk off mat until the chair or casters can be replaced. If your tiles contain asbestos and are damaged, contact EHS immediately at 2320 for evaluation of the problem and proper action to take.

:P

wow... that's a helpful lots of info!!!! :good:

thanks thanks!!! :yamseng:

just an update.. i have managed to negotiate with the shop and change the entire base for my new armchair.. cos i realised that a few of the casters were not well fitted due to cracks in the holes of the base...

for those who wanna get office chairs for their home use or office... can look for Lizo Pte Ltd.. they are located off Jalan Besar... :thumbs up: their customer service is excellent... still worrying that they wun entertain me since the purchase was made more than a month ago... but they actually offered to change the casters, later the entire base for me... they still advised me to bring down the chair myself to save the labour charge...

:sport-smiley-018: