Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
hposnm

Laminate Edge Joints

My kitchen carpentry is almost complete. I've noticed that the joints of all the laminate edges are visible, not just close up but even from afar. You can see the base of the wood which is a dark wood colour. My laminate is glossy white.

Is this how laminates are typically fitted? I took a look at those at my parents' place but it wasn't evident because theirs was a dark laminate colour. I also looked at some of those ready-made places like Courts and the joint lines were definitely not as obvious.

I'll try to get a picture up. I didn't bring my camera along so can't visually show what i mean.

Can anyone advise?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I managed to get some pictures. The area in question are my "bar counter". I had opted not to use solid surface worktop because of budgetary concerns. I opted for post-form thinking that it would be alright as my grandmother's postform top has not given way the last 20+ years!

This is the general perspective. The counter is roughly about 1m tall. You can visibly see the dark lines from the photographs were the laminates meet at edges/joints.

s320x240.jpg

This is a zoomed in picture of the corner of the counter. I noticed the 3 corners which meet were generally cut in a slightly curved manner probably to minimize scratches/cuts. The black "lines" are just so obvious!

s320x2402.jpg

I didn't get a picture of the inside of the cabinets but they were generally nicely "sealed" with the black lines/joints at the edges alot thinner if at all. However, the lamiante used on the inside of the cabinets are admittedly alot thinner.

Does anyone who used postform top also face the same problem? Appreciate any comments. Thanks!

(Still trying to figure out how to post pics but pics also available on houseofmumu.blogspot.com.)

Edited by hposnm

I managed to get some pictures. The area in question are my "bar counter". I had opted not to use solid surface worktop because of budgetary concerns. I opted for post-form thinking that it would be alright as my grandmother's postform top has not given way the last 20+ years!

This is the general perspective. The counter is roughly about 1m tall. You can visibly see the dark lines from the photographs were the laminates meet at edges/joints.

s320x240.jpg

This is a zoomed in picture of the corner of the counter. I noticed the 3 corners which meet were generally cut in a slightly curved manner probably to minimize scratches/cuts. The black "lines" are just so obvious!

s320x2402.jpg

I didn't get a picture of the inside of the cabinets but they were generally nicely "sealed" with the black lines/joints at the edges alot thinner if at all. However, the lamiante used on the inside of the cabinets are admittedly alot thinner.

Does anyone who used postform top also face the same problem? Appreciate any comments. Thanks!

(Still trying to figure out how to post pics but pics also available on houseofmumu.blogspot.com.)

This dark line is a common issue when using laminate. This can be corrected by telling your carpenter to mix the paint to your laminate's colour and paint over the lines. Hokkien is call "tua chaq"or (pull paint). Alternatively, is to have ABS edging done. Or you can choose to have colour core laminate. This laminate's core has the same colour of your surface, price wise would be higher.....

What I would suggest you to do is to tell your carpenter to touch up the lines by painting it over. Its industry practice for it to be done.

This dark line is a common issue when using laminate. This can be corrected by telling your carpenter to mix the paint to your laminate's colour and paint over the lines. Hokkien is call "tua chaq"or (pull paint). Alternatively, is to have ABS edging done. Or you can choose to have colour core laminate. This laminate's core has the same colour of your surface, price wise would be higher.....

What I would suggest you to do is to tell your carpenter to touch up the lines by painting it over. Its industry practice for it to be done.

the line is very obvious, but have to be keep in mind sometimes when they touch up, it can make it worse.

the line is very obvious, but have to be keep in mind sometimes when they touch up, it can make it worse.

Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate it. The cabinet edges were made with ABS trimming so I don't understand why the counter portion wasn't. Especially when it was in such an obvious section.

I'll try to Twa Chaq to see how it goes. I've seen it done before with darker coloured laminate and usually wasn't noticeable. Not sure how it'll go with white.

My ID also told me of this "thin dark line" problem with LamiTAK laminates too :

Disadvantages

- A thin dark line that forms where two pieces meet unless it runs wall to wall or is trimmed with a decorative material such as wood or stainless steel.

Some workaround he suggested :

LamiTAK Newedge - A perfect matched strip of laminate used for edging with LamiTAK collections.

LamiTAK Postforming grade - Using a special "postforming" grade of laminates, a tighter wrap over a suitable curved substrate can be achieved using the "postforming" technique. Postforming itself involves heating a sheet of laminate, which "softens" the resins in the material and allows it to bend more tightly

LamiTAK SolidCore - More expensive alternative with no dark edge which is made of a colored plastic throughout.

ABS - "Acrylinitril butadiene styrol" is the edgebanding choice and are used an effective material to replace the use of PVC as a panel edge treatment.

Think cabinet using laminates requires proper planning with ID and carpenter. So xian.

My ID also told me of this "thin dark line" problem with LamiTAK laminates too :

Disadvantages

- A thin dark line that forms where two pieces meet unless it runs wall to wall or is trimmed with a decorative material such as wood or stainless steel.

Some workaround he suggested :

LamiTAK Newedge - A perfect matched strip of laminate used for edging with LamiTAK collections.

LamiTAK Postforming grade - Using a special "postforming" grade of laminates, a tighter wrap over a suitable curved substrate can be achieved using the "postforming" technique. Postforming itself involves heating a sheet of laminate, which "softens" the resins in the material and allows it to bend more tightly

LamiTAK SolidCore - More expensive alternative with no dark edge which is made of a colored plastic throughout.

ABS - "Acrylinitril butadiene styrol" is the edgebanding choice and are used an effective material to replace the use of PVC as a panel edge treatment.

Think cabinet using laminates requires proper planning with ID and carpenter. So xian.

I was observing a few other cabinets. There is 1 cabinet which seems to have a thin strip of ABS trim at the edge where the joints are. It looks pretty good actually. So you still get the laminate look/feel of the cabinets but instead of using paint at the edges, a super thin (1mm or less) strip of what looks like ABS is used instead.

I was observing a few other cabinets. There is 1 cabinet which seems to have a thin strip of ABS trim at the edge where the joints are. It looks pretty good actually. So you still get the laminate look/feel of the cabinets but instead of using paint at the edges, a super thin (1mm or less) strip of what looks like ABS is used instead.

The best solution for this problem is to have ABS trimmings?

how abt membrane trimmings? I also brought this issue up to my ID and she say will use membrane trimmings for my carpentry....but not for kitchen...kitchen will use ABS trimming...coz membrane cannot take too much heat, thus cannot use for kitchen.

how abt membrane trimmings? I also brought this issue up to my ID and she say will use membrane trimmings for my carpentry....but not for kitchen...kitchen will use ABS trimming...coz membrane cannot take too much heat, thus cannot use for kitchen.

ABS Trimming is ok unless you have more money to spare and go for "Postforming grade" or "Solid Core".

Just make sure the 1mm strip that is used for ABS trimming is exactly the same colour as your chosen laminate colour.