Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ranger79

Our New Home To Be

I am also sourcing for ID now for my flat....

Haiz... at first, one tell me all overlay can le...

Then a uncle contractor says, not safe to relay wall tiles... especially the shape is rectangular de... cos got gravity......best is to hack and replace it. But floor tiles, its okay to relay.... dun hack, waste efforts only....

Then went to another ID, tell me that the usual sequence is to lay floor tiles first then do wall tiles in all flats... so after hacking off wall tiles, and replace it, if dun replace floor tiles, then only relay, will have a small small edge which will not be noticable but water may seep through and cause leaking....

Now totally confused... who is correct? Maybe you might want to find out more too... haha

Thanks for the input. will be checking with ID when meeting tomorrow.

BTW, have you confirmed your ID yet?

Edited by ranger79

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Have been busy with other stuffs so didn't update the blog for a while.

Just want to summarize our experience in search of the ID until now.

Have checked out 4 IDs.

ID A - Recommended by colleague of wife. Managed to get him to visit the new house during inspection. A little slow in responding with the quotation but must say that he has a lot of ideas and listen to our suggestions. Most expensive quote so far. Been asking for a revised quote and told him that only budgeted for 35K. After almost a week still have not received anything yet. Still preferred choice if not for the high quotation.

ID G - From one of the popular ID firms here in the forum. But he is relatively un-heard of here. Quite responsive. Quote to meet our budget. Visited a few projects done by him. Acceptable quality. Suggested to overlay toilet wall and floor tiles.

ID S - Served by a new girl. Didn't have much suggestions. Guess still need help from seniors. Concern on the project management since she's new. Quotation ready today but didn't manage to meet up with her to go through. Can't comment further now.

ID W - This was actually the second ID firm that we talked to. Was only told that the quote will be ready today after calling to check. Slowest response. Nevertheless, will be meeting tomorrow to go through the quote.

We'll need to decide our ID by the end of this month, as was told that ID need some preparation time to start the renovation.

First appointment will be on 16 June. Was told by agent that seller has verbally agreed to let us move in to start reno 2 weeks after that. If that's true, we will have a full 2 months for reno, before we need to handover our house to our buyer. Worst case, should still have 6 weeks, hopefully enough.

Edited by ranger79

We are playing with the following ideas to cut cost:

- Keep the existing living/dining floor tiles

- Take ID package to reno 2 toilets and kitchen. Then add on other necessary stuffs.

- Buy wardrobes from IKEA for all the bedrooms

- Enact a backing for bedroom 3 for study table, then convert sliding door to a normal door. May be still keep the platform??

- Overlay toilet wall and floor tiles (still not decided)

Hopefully this will bring down the cost tremendously. :sport-smiley-004:

Another thing is the platform in the Bedroom 3. ID A told us it's made of very good material and it's a waste to remove. I was thinking if the ceiling will be too low since we want to install a ceiling fan (the platform itself guestimate around 5 to 6 inches tall). Also not sure how it feels sitting on a chair on the platform. Will it be weird ... haha.

hi ranger79

i love the big space of your hse!

very nice layout,.......and very very spacious!

well, i m also checking ard for ID for my hse,...and i received few quotes of difference between 5k-8k.

and all quoted me doing all the same things leh.....guess some ID just mark-up higher lor.

Hi Jessie,

Thanks for dropping by and the comments :)

Just noticed that you've got a EM with ZERO COV. Amazing :good:

i did my reno around 2yrs back. i think someof the costs have increased due to inflation. its best to use this and compare to a few contractors/ids to find out whether if they are overcharging in most areas.

here is some useful info which i have researched and posted in my blog might help. your Haulage services, Sand & Debris removal after renovation is pretty pretty ex. its best to ask others if they charge that high?

http://diva79.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-to-...on-package.html

http://diva79.blogspot.com/2008/02/common-...ation-faqs.html

Thanks Diva. We've checked out your blog before liao ... :yamseng:

Edited by ranger79

After careful consideration of the quotations that we received from the 4 IDs, we are now zooming into the final 2.

ID A & ID G

Both quoted us reasonably. Now it is down to selecting the ID that we are more comfortable to work with.

After careful consideration of the quotations that we received from the 4 IDs, we are now zooming into the final 2.

ID A & ID G

Both quoted us reasonably. Now it is down to selecting the ID that we are more comfortable to work with.

Haha, u same as me, not yet decide on ID but bought a lot of things liao :D .

Below is the intended layout for our home.

home2%2020080528.jpg

The tough one is the study. We went through few rounds of discussion with all the IDs and many days of meditation on it ... finally settled on this layout. A partition will be erect and the door will be put back but swing outward. Will be communicating that to the 2 finalist and hopefully it will turn out nice.

We have decided to keep the existing floor tiles for living / dining area to keep within budget.

As for the platform in the living area, we are going to remove it and will either lay new tiles or overlay with laminate. Worry about rain water for the laminate flooring though ...

Edited by ranger79

Nice layout! How big is the whole place?

Hi Cherry,

The size is 134sqm.

hi

we have similar layout!..mine is a 5I...

so finally which ID have u shortlisted?

Hi Jeddie,

If all goes well, we will be engaging ID A.

Where is your house? Any pictures to share?

Edited by ranger79

Hi Ranger79,

Congrat on your nice big place....similar to our size as well. Yes, reno and material prices have gone up (20-30% :jawdrop: ) alot lately since we started our reno.

Just want to advice some comments (hope not too late).

Regarding overlaying of tiles (especially for the toilets)....please ask yr ID for opinions an have it check throughly the floor tiles to see if can pose any issues in the long run..but from the pics it looks quite good and guess must have done not too long ago. As your place is 20yrs old and not sure how old are those foundations. Our was really old and falling apart so need to hack it all. Also the electrical/lighting costs you need to budget a lot in case you really need to redo the whole wiring of the place but that depends on existing conditions.

Nice idea on the open concept kitchen. We also planned initailly but decided to have the kitchen enclosed due to lots of cooking and avoid cooking smells in the living room.

Good idea (to save cost) to source furnitures from outside (eg IKEA) but please note that it will not withstand for a long time (eg 5-10yrs) due to the materials they used. Have you considered those modular wardrobe for simple & neat design?

Modern contemporary theme is nice :good:

:yamseng:

Thanks for your advice, i think we will hack and not do overlay.

Our first appointment will be on coming monday, :sport-smiley-004: happy , but gotta come out with huge some of money.

We more or less confirm with the ID, will sign the contract on Monday too....

Hope everything will turn out nice nice

Just through the first appointment today. Hopefully, as the seller promised, we can get the key in advance in early July. Else, will have to wait until 21 July. Really can't wait ...

Anyway, we have confirmed our ID today. We've engaged Thomas of A&D for our reno. Should have some drawings next week. Exciting ... :good: