Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
livesimply

Simmons Vs King Koil Vs Sealy

Hi,

Time to get new mattress... for my mum.

She's a chronic illness patient and tends to be in bed and taking lots of naps in the day.

Trying to decide which type of mattress suits her best.

Advise anyone?

Many thanks.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Four Star currently having a promotion at Robinsons. I got my both King Size Four Star matress with storage bed frame at $1889 over there. I think for queen with a bed frame is ~ 1599....if u r interested u can go down and check with Ah Wen...said Mr FOO intro....

Hi,

She's a chronic illness patient and tends to be in bed and taking lots of naps in the day.

Advise anyone?

Many thanks.

Hi,

Advise anyone?

Many thanks.

You might want to consider Sealy, Simmons, Slumberland & Dunlop, they are the 1st & 2nd position in their country (US & UK). These brands put in money for R&D to develop a real good mattress. Don't be fooled by lots of US registered brands but owned by locals, I will never believe they will spend on R&D.

Forget about King Koil, 4 Star, Princebed, ABC, XYZ & etc brands.

King Koil used to be very good but no longer as good. My King Koil from 15 years ago still feels new... yet my friend's new King Koil (1-2 yr old) is a little too soft already.

I always felt that Simmons (having slept in one before) is really good. Very comfortable. But Simmons is very expensive....

Sister also suffers from some backaches and we're thinking of exploring Sealy after seeing some people's good comments.

Went to Slumberland's outlet last week but not very impressed with it.

BUT I think besides durability, mattress preference is up to the individual. Some people prefer soft some like very firm. :)

Unfortunately, mattresses are very very personal. You can play it safe by getting something with no overlay (i.e. no plush or pillow top) with just the spring mattress. Then add your desired layer (viscoelastic, foam etc) for comfort.

My friend buys sea horse brand and just put a viscoelastic layer on it and he says it's very comfortable.

Another thing to note that though firm mattress are recommended, it does not mean hard. Hard mattresses can cause pressure points at heavier parts of the body, causing pain. Thus they are more suited for lighter bodied people.

Be specific about the model you are buying - sellers have been known to deliver the wrong models.

Lastly, never pay full-price - the shop assistants will want to get full value from you. 25% - 40% discount is possible, at Expo, Robinson's sales etc. If they cannot lower any more, try to get freebies - mattress protector, pillows etc. Just let them know another place you asked offered those. Good luck with mattress hunting.

My initial thought is to check out King Koil but seems like I have to put in the back of list for now.

I'm currently sleeping on a Sealy spring mattress which I bought 10 years ago but I guess its life span is also coming to an end and I'm feeling the support is no longer as good as before.

I guess the latest technology is pocket spring which Simmons is selling strongly.

Had checked out their Singapore website and realise that their gallery is at Paragon while the one at IMM is a franchisee. Wonder how the price is different from other retailers.

Edited by livesimply

Actually, Simmons isn't the best. There are the 3'S - Simmons, Sealy and Serta. I have heard wonderful things about Serta, but it is not exactly cheap.

On the other end, I have a colleague who enjoys her Dunlopillo.

Pocket springs are not new technology, neither is it limited to Simmons. So, do go and try out the beds, lie in the ones you want for 15 mins to get a good idea of which bed you like best before taking it home.

Also, for info, do a search around the net for any complaints. Simmons seems to have more than its fair share on the review websites.

Actually, Simmons isn't the best. There are the 3'S - Simmons, Sealy and Serta. I have heard wonderful things about Serta, but it is not exactly cheap.

On the other end, I have a colleague who enjoys her Dunlopillo.

Pocket springs are not new technology, neither is it limited to Simmons. So, do go and try out the beds, lie in the ones you want for 15 mins to get a good idea of which bed you like best before taking it home.

Also, for info, do a search around the net for any complaints. Simmons seems to have more than its fair share on the review websites.

The 3'S refers to Sealy, Simmons & Slumberland. Serta is not in the picture.

Serta has 2 types of springing system. 1st, Mira coil (A wire forming the whole mattress springing system) a very partner-distrubing way of forming the springs. 2nd, pocketed springs, the best pocketed spring is still Simmons', so Serta is neither here nor there.

Oops .. so many S's in the mattress biz - thought there'd be more Zs. Thanks for the correction. I guess if the mother is sleeping alone, the pocketed spring is not a must-have, right?

Aiyo... getting confused with the S's and Z's...

Guess the best way is to bring mum to IMM sleep centers to test them out personally and let her decide.

Will update the outcome... :sport-smiley-003:

Thanks everyone.