Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
turtletrader

Latex Mattresses

Saw and tried a few Omazz mattresses last week - zoomed in specifically on the Ferdinard (not Ferdinand!) at Mattress Atrium, which went for about 3.6k - mattress alone + some freebies thrown in. It's a 2-layer full Talatech latex mattress - very comfortable and supportive. Sales pitch, like most other mattresses makes me seem like I was born to be with the said mattress.

I'm aiming for a full latex having noticed a distinct difference in the level of comfort between a coil-based and a full latex (full, not half-spring/half-coil) mattress. Other brands in the market I've seen are Napure (said to be German, but actually Malaysian) and Getha (readily said to be Malaysian) and Naturatex (Malaysian). All the latex mattresses sold by these 3 companies are made with natural latex (different manufacturing process from the Talatech, so (as claimed) the price difference/markup in Omazz prices). Makes sense to be Malaysian since Malaysia is abundant with rubber trees, so no qualms there.

Anyway, decided to pursue some due diligence - here's what I've gathered over the last few hours.

From my understanding, Omazz mattresses are claimed to be from USA/Belgium (no rubber trees there last I checked), but made with Talalay rubber (under the patented Talatech system), which in turn is produced exclusively by Latex International in the US (hence the Made in the USA tag) - but assembled in Bangkok, Thailand. I think, strongly suspicious, but cannot confirm that Omazz is essentially a Thailand brand?

Spoke with Joe, the supposed owner of MA whom from previous topic posts I've come across, is quite a salesman. Admittedly had some issues with Princebed/Severus mattresses in a previous generation.

Anyway most mattresses that I've surveyed over the last one month seems to have a history that mimics that of the United Nations assembly. Dubious, some might say. They come from all parts of the world, so tracking their point of origination, if any, is rather difficult. Does having parts made in Switzerland qualify the bed to be made in Switzerland, even though it's assembled in KL/Jakarta/Bangkok? They're quite selective on their country of choice when it comes to the "Made in" tag.

I'll be heading over the Omazz showroom at Park Mall and Robinsons just to get a fuller idea of what Omazz is all about. Names of the models will probably differ from boutique to boutique, but their specs should reveal if they are the same. No doubt they're (Omazz mattresses) very comfortable but having a more transparent history might be somewhat more palatable. I'm ok with getting a Thai mattress, if it's marketed as such - after all I'm paying for the comfort. But I'd be concerned if what I'm paying for is the belief (and the higher markup) that it's made in the USA/Belgium when it's otherwise.

Any comments on Omazz mattresses? Nothing bad about the product, just perhaps the marketing angle.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

There's a thread here somewhere that says the mattress sagged after 2 years.

Anyway, what's the obsession with Omazz, it's a no-brand mattress passing off as a premium brand.

If you have money to burn buy a Sealy or Simmons.