Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Teckie

Hollow Tiles

Hi - I just bought a resale condo and I recently noticed that some of the marble tiles have a hollow sound when you step on it. Normally it's not a problem but its at high traffic areas (the steps) which I know will irk me in the long run. Since the marble is no longer available, ID suggested hacking and doing up the whole floor which is in excess of $30K (marble flooring), else live with it. Anyone have any suggestions? I thought that since they are on the steps they can be removed and replaced. Or perhaps there is some other solution?

Thanks in advance.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi - I just bought a resale condo and I recently noticed that some of the marble tiles have a hollow sound when you step on it. Normally it's not a problem but its at high traffic areas (the steps) which I know will irk me in the long run. Since the marble is no longer available, ID suggested hacking and doing up the whole floor which is in excess of $30K (marble flooring), else live with it. Anyone have any suggestions? I thought that since they are on the steps they can be removed and replaced. Or perhaps there is some other solution?

Thanks in advance.

Check if the grouting is cracking or chipping off. If so, air has entered the marble tile since the tiler did not put sufficient cement during tiling. You can do a simple repair by buying grouting paste from any DIY shop and apply. This will prevent more air entering and worsening the problem. You will still feel a 'hollow' effect when you walk on the tile but at least it won't pop-out like ceramic tiles.

Maybe, that's the reason why the previous owner sold you his property !. Spending $30K to redo the floor is ridiculous. Enjoy your humble condo now. Sell it in one..two years' time and let the next owner do the job. Take the money and buy a better property or spend it on renovations the next time round.