Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Umaisarah

Reno Options: Id Vs Contractor Vs Diy

Hi everyone! Watch out, ignorant newbie here. :P

This is a fairly long post, so do bear with me. And my apologies if this topic has been discussed ad nauseam before. ;)

I really need wisdom from experienced people out there.

First, a bit of background:

I'll be moving into a 4-br condo in Tanah Merah, getting my keys in early April and I need to move out of my present place by end April or early May. So I only hv about 3-4 weeks for on-site renovation.

I can't get access to my new place so easily coz the present owner is quite sticky about it even tho the place is empty and brand new. So, as much as possible, I want to bring in contractors/carpenters/ID to measure, have a feel, etc etc, at one time so I don't have to keep asking to access the unit.

Now, this is my dilemma:

I more or less know what I want to do already in terms of design and what materials to use. This is the reno works I plan to get done:

- TV feature wall (Wood strips + spray-painted glass)+ TV console **** room (suspended design in wood/laminate)

- false ceiling or L-Box ****/dining area

- bed + study desk + book shelves at 2 kids bedroom

- master bedroom bedhead, feature wall and study desk

- wooden top for bay windows (4 bedrooms)

- decking at balconies (living and master bedroom)

Initially, I’ve approached two ID companies (Inner Room, Home Guide) and one reno contractor -- - to design and quote for me. So far, I only hv 1 quote from Classic for about $17K. For drawings, they want a $500 non-refundable deposit. I haven’t seen any drawings from the ID companies (not sure if I will get any since I haven’t confirmed with them. What’s the usual practice??)

So my question: Is it better to use a general renovation contractor or to engage a ID firm or to hire separate contractors for different parts of the work and somehow project manage it? What's the diff between reno contractor and ID firm, coz a contractor will usually hv their own in-house designers, right?

My idea is to do it this way:

- hire general contractor to do reno works in living/dining and master bedroom (plus wiring and misc works)

- hire carpenter to do carpentry work in kids bedrooms

- hire company to do decking and bay windows (I’m thinking of using Goodhill)

Is this too much of a hassle to do? Can I ask the contractor to project manage the others for me? Because they would know better the timing and sequence, right? Would reno contractors generally do that for the clients? Will they charge more because we don’t hire their own carpenter and so on? The reason why I thought of engaging a separate carpenter is that I have better control over cost and quality of materials used. If you do it via the contractor, I may be stuck with 2nd rate carpenters because the best ones are taken up to do the major (or more expensive) projects.

I’m aware that doing it my way may end up costing me more, so right now I’m still exploring options and comparing costs. My 2nd plan is to hire a contractor to do everything. But then, my next question is, is a contractor cheaper than an ID firm, eg will the quote from Classic cost more than a quote from say Inner Room, everything else remaining the same (in terms of quality, quantity etc)?

Appreciate any advice from all of you at Renotalk. For those who have done it my way, what are the pitfalls and problems to watch out for?

And of course, recommendations on reliable and quality reno contractors or ID firms will be very much appreciated :D

Thanks!

PS ....very strange, that the name of the reno contractor got 'dashed' when I preview the post. Is the company 'blacklisted' or something??

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

well... this is once again a matter of whether you would wan an id firm to get it done for you... in a way, if you got an id to work for u... definitely it will cost a little more, but of course, you will have lesser hassle since generally he orf she will be the one who will coordinate the renovastions for you.. this way, you have more time on your hands to deal wif other stuff, perhaps getting the ideal furniture you wanted for your place?

Yes.. usually IDs will only provide the 3D perspective drawing after you sign up with them. But they do provide you with the layout plan (on your floor plan) even before you confirm with them.

Since you are not doing much things, i feel it should be easier to coordinate different contractors yourself, unlike those who have to do the whole house which includes hacking, tiling, plumbing, electrical, carpentry, etc... But timing is an issue when coordinating different contractors to come install the different things at different time.

All the best in your reno...

But if u like can try my ID, she provide free 3D drawings for ur viewing before u confirm on the quote. but is limited to 2 views lar..

can PM me if u wan her contacts. :)

if u hv the time, can try contractor. Contractor suppose to be cheaper....

Gd Luck...

But if u like can try my ID, she provide free 3D drawings for ur viewing before u confirm on the quote. but is limited to 2 views lar..

can PM me if u wan her contacts. :)

if u hv the time, can try contractor. Contractor suppose to be cheaper....

Gd Luck...

thanks! I just PM you for e contact.