Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
strawberry8

Kitchen Wall - Plastering = Cement Screed ?

As I do not intend to tile kitchen wall and to save costs, also do not intend to hack kitchen wall.

As I learn how forummers plaster and paint, my contractor says can do cement screed and paint.

Are these 2 processes the same ?

Which is better?

Even if I don't hack, must contractor still make 'holes' on existing wall tiles so that whatever they put over the existing wall tiles can bite better ?

Thanks for your advice.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

hi my case was like tat...if im not wrong, in order to cover the tiles, u will need cement screed first followed by plaster to smoothen the surface..

hi my case was like tat...if im not wrong, in order to cover the tiles, u will need cement screed first followed by plaster to smoothen the surface..

Hi

thanks for your reply.

I did not find your T-blog.

Is it possible for you to email your kitchen photos to me or upload it here ?

strawberry8_8@hotmail.com

Any regrets not tiling your kitchen wall?

Did they really hack some 'holes' into existing wall tiles prior to cement screeding ?

I wll prob have a 1-m glass backsplash on the kitchen wall behind the hob and paint the rest of the wall.

I am doing my renovation now and note that for the kitchen which we are painting, they have cement screed it and will be plastering and then paining it over. They did not hack the old tiles away. Is this normal?

I saw some forummers also did not hack the wall tiles and simply plaster over it.

To hack will cost to 1k ?

just wonder if the plaster will peel after a while.....appreciate more sharing from forummers who have done this before....

I am doing my renovation now and note that for the kitchen which we are painting, they have cement screed it and will be plastering and then paining it over. They did not hack the old tiles away. Is this normal?

Maybe because u ask for plastering only, didn't ask for hacking, so they didn't hack lor. :)

According to my ID,cement screed is the first process,it's kind of rough cement that screeded over the tiles which you can see on my kitchen reno picture below:

IMG_0179.jpg

after it dries up,then they can start to plaster the wall which give u smooth surface. In my case,my plastering work will be on Tuesday n I'll update u with another picture

• Like 1

According to my ID,cement screed is the first process,it's kind of rough cement that screeded over the tiles which you can see on my kitchen reno picture below:

after it dries up,then they can start to plaster the wall which give u smooth surface. In my case,my plastering work will be on Tuesday n I'll update u with another picture

Can you share with me the length of the wall that is undergoing this process and the price quoted to you?

Is it contractor or ID ?

Can you share with me the length of the wall that is undergoing this process and the price quoted to you?

Is it contractor or ID ?

my area is around 2.5 - 3meter.

It's my ID who did that for $700 incl painting and box up of the ceiling,so I don't know the breakdown.

I've tried to get quotation from contractor to do this job but the difference only about 20% less only,so better to engage my ID for easier coordination n avoid tai chi among them

Edited by vhardono

Hi

thanks for your reply.

I did not find your T-blog.

Is it possible for you to email your kitchen photos to me or upload it here ?

strawberry8_8@hotmail.com

Any regrets not tiling your kitchen wall?

Did they really hack some 'holes' into existing wall tiles prior to cement screeding ?

I wll prob have a 1-m glass backsplash on the kitchen wall behind the hob and paint the rest of the wall.

hi sorry as my reno journey was quite bad i did not have a reno blog :P

anyw below is pics of my kitchen i took w my hp...

i also have glass backsplash for my hood/hob area (one of the pics)..

for us, we do not regret not tiling at all as we are light users of the kitchen..but if u regular user, seriously tiling is better for long run..easier to maintain..

one problem we have is if plastering not done well, may flak (eg) when cleaning, u knock ur mop onto it etc, some paint flakes drop down..

25042010125.jpg

25042010126.jpg

Edited by eiffel76

Your place looks nice? How much did your ID charge for plastering your place? Includes ceiling?

hi ya we plastered the whole place incl ceiling cos my 28yr old flat was in a horrible condition..no amount of painting and scrapping helped...i cant rem exactly how much but i thk it shd b abt 1k for the whole kitchen...i thk u can broadly use the $200-250 per wall surface guideline...

if i can add, pls go for the plaster. ur whole house wil look different.

like me, i requested for plaster aft nearing handover cos it stil looks horrible haha :)