Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sff

Can't Seem To Leave Toa Payoh!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
heh cos I disappeared for a long time. reno was finished a year ago. :)

How ulu can ulu be? mm TPY's good. very central location and has high resale value. now that I go to TPY often I appreciate its location a lot... just no money to buy haha

Erm... ulu = 1 bus service and no mrt? Aiyah, maybe next time you can buy better than TPY. I borrow max from bank and will pay till pokkai. :( So not much better off also. In fact, pok already. :o

How was your reno after 1 yr? So far so gd?

So, today is day 2 of hacking. So happy to see that they have already completed the living, dining, storeroom, kitchen and toilets. When I went over at 4.30pm, they were doing the service balcony and also clearing the debris. Think there were about 4 or 5 workers there and today the tiles also came in. Whee...

003us.jpg

004rq.jpg

Today I went down with my family to imm giant to buy the Yale door handleset. $99.90. Now, this is so much cheaper than homefix and also I could make use of my vouchers in giant, so the new door lock is as good as free. Saw the knobs for the rooms as well, tempted to buy but it was so ex at $19.90. The dunno what brand selling at the hardware store near my home is only $7.90. Think my vouchers can be better spent.

Actually when at homefix previously, was very tempted to buy the duro lock set where the wooden main door and the padlock use the same key. Just thinking that can eliminate keys and use only 1 key to open everything. But not sure if it is a good idea.

Hacking has completed. Material is more or less brought up to my unit already. They also have removed quite a lot of debris already. Wonder when they will start laying tiles. So excited to see the new tiles. Dunno if it would be nice when so many pieces are placed side by side...

Hmm... reno seems to be progressing quite smoothly. Not 2 week yet but floors all hacked, false ceiling removed, toilets tiles up, waterproofing for toilet done, living and dining room tiles 95% done. So happy. Went to the house just now at about 1 plus and saw the two tilers hard at work. I thought that even if they work on Sat, they would have already gone home by then. Id said before that to maintain standard in tiling, he will not assign more tilers. But we are ok with it cos even though there are only 2 guys, they seem to work fast and so far, the tiling seems good. Will post pic when get the opportunity to take better photos of floor. Also when tiler encounters problem or got things not sure, he will get id to call us to confirm on what we want and if we can accept this and that.

Went to Choo Chiang to buy switches and sockets just now. I decided to buy them myself and just pass to electrician through id. Although he is providing switches and sockets, hubby doesn't really like those with small rockers. So instead of asking id and don't know what he will give us, we decided to get those white legrand ones. Blew $145 on 4 1-gang, 5 2-gang, 1 3-gang, 2 tv, 1 2-jack telephone, 1 heater, 6 13ampX1, 12 13ampX2. Heart pain but we know we won't regret it.

Also, along the way on thge reno, we discovered more stuff to fix. Window grille misalignment, so must change cos it's a safety issue when I have 3 kids at home. Window handle loose, main door knob dented, existing parquet floor skirting popped out, ...

So far, Id or should I say project manager is not bad. That's his title. Quite responsible. 95% of the time respond to my sms. That 5% is when sms went missing!!! But when send follow-up sms, will get reply. Never found the need to call him. Quite knowledgeable too. Ask this ask that ask quote, got answer. Only thing not too great is his 3d pictures. A bit slow in delivering this. Still waiting in fact. But not really a problem with us since we are not doing anything fanciful. In fact, I think we can visualise ourselves since we are asking him to do what we want and not he's telling us what he will do! Also when we chose laminates and hubby said he wanted to take samples home, id told him to wait for the factory to cut bigger pieces. He said small pieces can't see anything. And it's true. When we received the bigger pieces of laminates, about A5 size, we realised that we didn't like the design after all. So for laminates, we will choose again. And my bb also helped in drawing on the laminates!!! So now we know what not to pick!! :D

Really really hope that majority of the reno can complete by the 20th of this month. Even if wardrobes not in yet, it's ok. Cos after 24th, we will be homeless. Keys must pass to new owners already. :( And then it's time to say bye bye to Bishan.

Edited by sff

I started 1 day later then u and our HO is fixed on the 24th. cos our FSM gave us the latest date that we can shift in. So push id to get things done up. We be homless on the 11th Jul, got to bunk in with my uncle for abt 11 days. :(

As for reno, same as us, we have more things to add in.

Edited by gals_mama

I started 1 day later then u and our HO is fixed on the 24th. cos our FSM gave us the latest date that we can shift in. So push id to get things done up. We be homless on the 11th Jul, got to bunk in with my uncle for abt 11 days. :(

As for reno, same as us, we have more things to add in.

For my HO, id say 6 wks from start work. Maybe because I do a lot of hacking. Hopefully all floor, wall, ceiling, electrical, pipes, paint and toilets will be ready this month. So coincident, I'm also moving out on the 24th. My furniture and stuff will go in then but dunno will the house be ready for people to stay. If cannot, then probably will lock one room then to put stuff. Then we will have headache where to stay. Dunno how and where to bunk 5 people!!

Ya, adding more things is so stressful. Must watch budget and yet, if don't add like the house not properly done up. Then worry that next time will blame ownself for not doing this or that in the first place. Id always tell me "do this cost kui zarp kor" (Couple of ten dollars), then I will tell him "ya, here kui zarp kor, there kui zarp kor, in the end kui ba kor"!! (Few hundred)

Yesterday, the plumber was there to lay the pipes, and so today I went over to take a look. I was rather disappointed when I saw that they had installed the wrong mixer in the wrong bathroom even though I had already specified for each location. What's missing are also 2 hot points for the wash basins and 1 extra point for the washing area beside the washing machine. I called Kelvin up and he immediately said that he would rectify the problems. I definitely felt happier upon hearing it than earlier when I could not get him.

I saw the free storage heater from him. Installws Ariston 30L. Not sure if it's new or old model, but hey, as long as can work and in good condition, why not.

Tomorrow the WCs and stuff would be arriving. I tried to call the shop to confirm the timing but I just couldn't get the sales lady. Either she's busy, entertaining customers, on the phone, or not in. I hope that the goods will be in good condition.

This coming week, I think many things would be happening. Pipings, electrical, aircon, false ceiling, lights. Not sure if paint would come in too. Anyway, so far so good, only the piping blunder. Hope everything will be fine.

Supposed to have ordered curtains and blinds already but haven't found the time to get down to them.

It's been 3 1/2 weeks since reno started and so far I'm happy with the progress. Couple of hiccups here and there but all easily resolved.

1. Mixers installed n wrong toilets - settled, just switched.

2. Missing hot points for wash basins - done, added beautifully.

3. Short of 1 13amp switch - Will do soon.

4. Missing water point for washing area - yes, done too!

So far...

1. Toilet floors and walls - yep.

2. Kitchen floor and plaster wall - yep.

3. Piping and electricity - almost yep.

4. Varnish parquet - yep yep, today.

5. Install wc, sinks and mixers - yep

6. Change and install living room window grille - yeppy

7. Aircon trunking and pipings - yep. Trunking nice but patch wall ugly. From aircon company!

8. False ceiling/L Box living, dining, kitchen - 60% yep.

9. Washing area in service balcony, last min add in - yep.

10. Box up aircon trunking in living - yep

11. Kitchen cabinet compartment design - yep, today.

12. Wardrobes compartment design - yep, today too.

13. Conduit n drawstring for opennet in L Box - yep. Done by ID personally. Best of all, free!

14. Choice of paint colour and laminates - yep.

15. Storage heater installed - yep yep yep. And the heater's free!

So I am waiting for the following before I can shift my things in...

1. Toilet glass doors and shower screens

2. Install toilet accessories

3. Painting

4. Install lightings and switch plates

5. Chemical washing

6. Change all door knobs and locks

7. Change toilet window panes

8. Box-up pipes in kitchen

Then after I move in, will wait for ...

1. Bedroom wardrobes

2. Kitchen cabinets, glass backing and install sink, hob and hood

3. Kitchen top-hung sliding glass door

So far so good. I'm in a hurry to move in cos next Sunday we must handover current house to the new owners. Hope that eveything would be smooth. I'm the kpo type of person so every other day I would go down to my new house to take a look at the works. Then if I see anything not right, I would inform ID immediately. To the point that I even felt paiseh sms-ing him. But he's nice. Say that better to tell him early and rectify rather than things finish then tell, cos he would have problems doing them. On Friday, I sent him 4 sms a one go, I think he must have got confused with all my sms-es until he called me up and said, "you there right? wait! don't go! I'm coming now!" :rolleyes:

Some of the stuff I told him, I must remind him again. Maybe he's quite busy so forget. But ok lah, just tell him again. But but I am still happy, cos reno relatively smooth.

Today I went down again to decide on the internal compartments of the wardrobes and cabinets. While the "carpenter" drew the compartments, I saw there were 5 drawers, so I asked, "Hey, got 5 drawers here, your contract say 4 drawers, this one I must pay?" And he immediately shot back, "Wah liao! We not so bad lah! You special!!" I was like :P but I'm glad he's not the niao type. Maybe cos I'm not that niao also, but then again, I wouldn't know if I'm not niao cos I'm not dealing with myself. Aiyah, I think niao person will also say they not niao, so that means I'm actually niao??!! :o

Lighting.com.sg has delivered the lights last Friday. They called up my hubby and told him, "We'll be there at 9.30am. Sharp! Don't be late!" Hubby was amused and when he reached the house at 9.15am, they were already there waiting. Service not bad, quite prompt. We also felt rather paiseh. 1 stupid dining light, we dunno change how many times. Not only that, medium downlight change to small downlight, 2x18 toilet lights change to 2x13, and best of all, the shop people just smile and say no problem.

Universal Union also sent stuff on last monday. Everything seemed ok. But they sent 1 wash basin wrong cos when we went to change one of the sinks to a smaller one, the person keyed in for 2. By the way, we also change items many times! Went there 7 times in total and always, service is good. Hubby insisted that sink must change and call up the shop. The sales lady said she would see if delivery guy can collect the sink and when night came, still no call. So hubby said that he would take the sink to the shop to exchange the next day. When the sales lady saw him, he said that she was so happy. She even gave him a discount when he bought an additional tap and also gave him a free wall-mounted toilet brush and holder! But he also said she quite poor thing, so busy until she a bit confused already. Hmm... we still owe them $182!

Will upload more photo next week when I can take more photos.

Wah, this week would be terrible for us.

1. First, we hope that Kelvin would be able to finish up the house (Excluding wardrobes and kitchen cabinets) by tomorrow or Thursday.

2. Cellini sending furniture in Thursday.

3. AMK HQ sneding mattress and frame on Sat.

4. House movers moving on Sat morning.

5. Haven't call V-hive yet.

6. Clear old house by Sat.

7. Handover keys to new owners on Sunday.

So, we are moving in on Saturday but the house is not ready yet. Kelvin said that he would get the house ready in move-in condition minus carpentry. Considering that today is exactly 4 weeks from start of reno, I would say 'not bad' liao. Floor, wall, pipes, electrical, false ceiling, window grille, parquet floor, sanitary included. He said that tomorrow they would complete painting, door painting, installation of glass doors and screen, door knobs and lockset, installation of lights. Crossing fingers now. :unsure:

Today went to find id. He showed me 3D of kitchen cabinets. Nice. But too bad, could not bring home cos he need to make some modification. I also made last minute change to the laminates to use. He heard that and panicked! But he's a nice guy. Immediately called up his carpenter and told them to change. And so, it's changed!! Tomorrow I should get updated designs. :dancingqueen:

Think Thursday should be able to get some nice photoa. :sport-smiley-004:

Wah, this week would be terrible for us.

1. First, we hope that Kelvin would be able to finish up the house (Excluding wardrobes and kitchen cabinets) by tomorrow or Thursday.

2. Cellini sending furniture in Thursday.

3. AMK HQ sneding mattress and frame on Sat.

4. House movers moving on Sat morning.

5. Haven't call V-hive yet.

6. Clear old house by Sat.

7. Handover keys to new owners on Sunday.

So, we are moving in on Saturday but the house is not ready yet. Kelvin said that he would get the house ready in move-in condition minus carpentry. Considering that today is exactly 4 weeks from start of reno, I would say 'not bad' liao. Floor, wall, pipes, electrical, false ceiling, window grille, parquet floor, sanitary included. He said that tomorrow they would complete painting, door painting, installation of glass doors and screen, door knobs and lockset, installation of lights. Crossing fingers now. :unsure:

Today went to find id. He showed me 3D of kitchen cabinets. Nice. But too bad, could not bring home cos he need to make some modification. I also made last minute change to the laminates to use. He heard that and panicked! But he's a nice guy. Immediately called up his carpenter and told them to change. And so, it's changed!! Tomorrow I should get updated designs. :dancingqueen:

Think Thursday should be able to get some nice photoa. :sport-smiley-004:

hi sff

your reno seems to be speedy gozales mode -- so much work done within 4 weeks is really fast!

so are you planning to engage the mover to move everything? or just the heavy stuff? We are also in the same boat - now thinking if I should just engage a piano mover and do the rest oureselves

Edited by froggy