Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
d'lotus

Renovation Journey @ D’Lotus

Home Shelter

Why they even have this space wasting thing is just beyond me... and door is facing the living room somemore - they must have idiots as architects

* this place will... in the end... cost me the most $ in reno

img0515lookingintoshelt.jpg

* at least they provide a 'hole' in the wall to take in the handle so that the door will be flush when you open it fully.... but a square 'hole in the wall? Come on!!

img0531indentationonwal.jpg

* argghh... the whole condo is network wired up.... EXCEPT HERE!! - just SCV and phone

img05281cable1phone2poi.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
looking forward to seeing how the finished product looks like!

3 more bedrooms and 2 toilets... then will post the 'after' pix :)

Common bathroom

WC

* to remove towel rail - reuse later

* to replace tiles with holes after towel rail removal

img0551cbwc.jpg

Shower screen - 2-leaf door slides both sides - to maintain

img0554commonbathroomls.jpg

Shower set - to maintain

img0553cbshowerset.jpg

Wash basin / mirror

* to remove the 2 glass shelves

* * to replace tiles with holes after glass shelves

img0557commonbathroommi.jpg

MBR Bathroom

Entrance to MBR bathroom... door facing MBR entrance

img0581mbathentrancetot.jpg

3-leaf door shower screen

* change to swing-out glass shower door

* remove single towel rail

* to replace tiles with holes after towel rail removal

* maintain shower set - but change the shower head

img0585mbathshowerarea.jpg

Wash basin / mirror

* to change mixer

* remove glass shelves

* maintain mirror

img0590mbathsinkmirrorw.jpg

Master Bedroom

Left view

* to cover bay window

* for windows - there's 4 bars across them

img0571mbwindowswidth57.jpg

Right view

img0572mbwindowrightvie.jpg

Built-in Closet

* not enuf even for my wife - need additional shelvings

* change 2 of each door's hinge to soft closing ones

img0574mbwardrobeinnerv.jpg

Room 2

Windows

* Bay window again :(

sroom.jpg

Built-in closet

* to add shelves on the left side

swardrobe144cm.jpg

Right wall

* to instal study table and top-hung cabinet here

srightwall250cm.jpg

Room 3

Left and right views

* this room has the afternoon/evening sun's 'blessing'

swindowleftview56cmside.jpgswindowrightview.jpg

Closet... MY closet

* need more shelving

* I'm taking the top rail, son will get the bottom rail

swardrobe157cm.jpg

This unit is technically 'new' (unsold more than a year from launch date). Many items were built-in, so we decided on just a simple reno - nothing fancy.

Storage is a main problem as the unit is just 1,016sqf with many 'dead-space' - ie 3 bay windows and a balcony.

Our instruction to our ID, recommended by my BIL - minimalist theme, maximize storage.

To start off, let's concentrate on the single most expensive area of the whole reno - the home shelter, which we will use as our study cum office.

It has an L-shared table top and top-hung cabinet. The height of the table is a little high @ 78cm, mainly due to sufficient height to accomodate my dry cabinet (74cm) and to have drawers on one side of the table. (on hind-sight, the height of the drawer is too much... I just want to keep simple things, like paper, pen, pencils, etc.

Firstly, let us take you through the boxing up process of the shelter door. Refer here for before reno pix

Reno - Home Shelter

Home shelter door

(sorry - somehow, could not rotate the pix - will leave them as they are first)

* decided to cover up the door, which means the passageway will be narrower by 20cm (width is now 94cm - can live with it)

* removed the facing out handle, wrapped and stored it at the square spare in the wall behind the steel door

* cheapest option is to cover with plasterboard. Initial quote for this area come close to $8k :jawdrop: (ID recommend plywood + wallpaper)

img1368e.jpg

img1370w.jpg

* don't know what to do with the empty space at the left size of the new wall.... ID recommended a display space, dimensions left to ID to decide

* later this decision will come back to haunt us (not much.... just - why didn't we think of that...)

* how we got the final dimension and location? the worker use his 'expertise' and it's all AGAK-AGAK one ;)

img1379e.jpg

Edited by d'lotus

The electrician should come first to pull all the necessary wires before carpentry goes up, but as luck would have it... our dear electrician was busy and missed his scheduled appointment.

The carpenters could not wait and started the installation of the top hung cabinets. Luckily, the electrician magically appeared and did up the wiring inside the home shelter before the L-shaped table top was installed.

Painter was the last to come - which accordingly, should be the first. My ID really kucar-kacir man - luckily for the whole project, I was there almost on a daily basis (after work). Anything amiss will have me shooting emails through the night to that boy-man!!

Wiring - right side

* to keep the cost down, I decided the following points/switches here :

(I will add MANY additional power points and switches ALL over the place in future)

- 1 single switch for the wall fan

- 1 2-gang switch to control the front and right side T5s

- 1 double power point

* power is tapped from the existing power point (the other points here are - telephone R11 and double SCV)

img1322c.jpg

Wiring - corner

* 1 double power point here

img1323y.jpg

L-shaped table top

* there will be a 3 inch hole at each corner of the table for wires to pass through (still looking for nice hole covers)

* there is no drawer at the front - to accomodate my dry cabinet (for my camera equipment)

* note the existing power point, telephone R11 and double SCV on the bottom left corner

img1351dm.jpg

Almost done

* the 3 holes are cut

* drawers not installed yet as ID got the wrong length Blum soft closing runners - thought it's the same length as the kitchen drawers.

* electrician will come back later to finish installing the power points, switches, sockets, T5s

img1416r.jpg

And now..... the current state of the home shelter

View from living room

* what a co-incidence, the depth of the display space is just nice to accomodate DVDs

* if we had known earlier, we would have 3 spaces instead of just 2.... the top one flush with the height of the entrance

* the entrance is SO THICK - reminds me of NORAD's bunker doors :o

img2414c.jpg

Overview

* the 3-tier plastic drawers may go.... brought it down from KL condo, but it fits nicely into that space

* on the bottom right is the bottom half of Ikea's TV console (forgot name) - hv space to slide in max 10cm height containers under it - more storage space!!

* my trusty notebook (opened to RT - or course :good: ) and 21" LG monitor. On the right is my CanonScan 4400F and HP Officejet 5610 All-in-One printer

* planning to get Logitech's notebook rest at the next Sept IT fair.... to prop up the notebook and wireless (lighted keys) KB and mousy

* the big black duffel bag is kept for an ex-colleague

* seriously seriously missing Herman Miller's Aeron :notti:

* the walls are pretty empty too..... will think of something

img2401e.jpg

Right view

* the switches and double power points in place

* to change the original single gang light switch (near the top hung cabinet) to 3-gang, and transfer the 2 switches for the T5s there

* to add another single base plate between the current single and double plates. The 2 singles will each house a 4-gang switch (total 8) to on/off additional 8 power points underneath the table... 4 at the corner (below my notebook), and 4 at the right side (below the printer)

* to add another double power point to the left of the current double power point

img2402m.jpg

Corner view

* to add another double power point to the left of the current double power point

img2405oy.jpg

... and lastly, the Left view

* the mounted glass for writing is re-used from Ikea's 4-person table (forgot name) - donated the metal frame to the block cleaner when I shifted from Tampines

* originally wanted to install Ikea's Ribba runner under the glass to keep the pens / dusters - but sitting with my back agains it - decided not to due to negative feng tsui

* Mistral wall fan can be seen at the top left of the pix

img2410ny.jpg

I have installed Ikea's Ribba picture ledge below the table, a long one (185cm) and a medium one (105cm).

This is to serve as cable runner and where chargers, adapters, etc will rest under the table

This is under the wire outlet beneath the printer

img2407d.jpg

This is where the long and medium ledge meet at the corner wire outlet

* the parts for the additional points and switches are temporary kept here

img2408w.jpg

T5s under the top-hung cabinets

* major screw-up by ID - wanted a design where the T5s will be hidden but he said not bright lah, blah blah blah. Ok, you are the ID - you know best - phui! :bleah:

* the T5s are too bright... make the eyes water. Will think of a way to diffuse it. Guys - any ideas?

* was thinking of glueing an L-shaped opaque plastic along the inner edge. Right now, using more of the ceiling light bought from Ikea

img2413u.jpg

It gets stuffy when you stay for an extended period of time inside as air circulation is lousy.

The wall fan helps to a certain extent, but when I want cooler air, this is what I will use, to blow the living room's air-con cooled air into the study

img2411eg.jpg