Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
emglch

Advice Needed: Best Deal For Home Appliances/furniture For New Home

Dear Renotalk members

I'm looking to buy furniture and home appliances for my new home. Was wondering whether there is a most economical approach to the purchase of these items as collectively, its total is easily a 4,5 digit figure. I surfed the websites of major stores like Courts, Harvey Norman, Best Denki but they don't seem to suggest that one would get any further discount no matter how much you spend. Their cards are more rewards-based and do not really offer any useful discount. An alternative is to wait for the recurring mega exhibitions at Suntec or Expo hoping that prices would be lower or with more freebies. Would appreciate any sharing from anyone who had gone through the process of preparing a new home and found a method which would save the most for your wallet. Thanks in advance.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I bought a lot of my electrical appliances (aircon, washing machine, dryer, hob, hood) from Parisilk. They were willing to match prices if I found any lower ones. I walked around Courts and Best Denki to identify the brand/model/prices of the appliances that I wanted and sent them an email directly to ask for a quote. Turned out they were indeed much cheaper than the big chains.

Although after I placed my order, I found the same model washing machine being sold for $50 cheaper at Mustafa.

So I would suggest that you take a look at Mustafa and Parisilk and compare prices.

For appliances, I shortlisted all the big items i wanted.. approach at least 3-4 places (Hong liang @ alexandra, Harvey Norman, Best Denki, Everjoint @ AMK, audio house).

Get the cheapest qoute for each item and go to one store and ask them to match.. Big stores like harvey, best, audio house, if you purchase like quite a few items, its possible to get prices lower than what is listed on their tags.. u must ask the right person.. the higher rank the sales staff, the more discounts they are able to give (thats what i heard)..

point to note though.. diff places mark up diff stuff.. so look at the overall deal i guess.. and seriously.. sometimes the savings is not very significant.. so i dont make any extra effort to go down and ask for prices.. waste time and transport $... will just enter the stores everytime i happen to be near one.. and pass them my list and say.. "here's my list.. whats the best u can do for me".. take the list home.. and compare ha..

for convenience... i got most of my stuff from Harvey coz they manage to match my prices... and can pay by interest free installment... and i dont really want to liase with 3-4 places for delivery.. so in the end, i got some from harvey, and some from hong liang..

if u r hardworking, know ur prices... shd be able to get a good deal.. i think a saved a couple of hundreds by pushing down the prices compared to buying @ expo sale..

*note.. hong liang was not bad.. comparative.. i chose harvey coz i wanted installment, after then i realise, hong liang provides installment too.. but u must know ur prices to fight a good deal..

hope this helps..