Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Yuj

Reno Process

Hi all the experts,i just got my flat and planning to do the reno and just wonder wats the process like.

I have my own contractor for tile,i have my contractor for kitchen cabinet,and a different ID.

So i just wonder which part come 1st...

Hack all the tiles in the house,hack the old kitchen and relay it then do the toilet piping and install of the rest?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Your sequence seems right.

But if you have an ID... you can ask your ID to help you manage the rest of the contractors, so he/she becomes your main project manager.

Some of my reno work were from my own sources (kitchen, etc), so I just passed them on to my contractor to settle everything.

Hi all the experts,i just got my flat and planning to do the reno and just wonder wats the process like.

I have my own contractor for tile,i have my contractor for kitchen cabinet,and a different ID.

So i just wonder which part come 1st...

Hack all the tiles in the house,hack the old kitchen and relay it then do the toilet piping and install of the rest?

Yuj:

I commend yr initiative to source yr own instd of depending fully on the id. Soichiro's advice is helpful- get yr ID to coordinate, or else you may have a headache trying to schedule w/o proper guidance. Be aware however when you do it that way, other related issues emerge - who will bear responsibility when things go wrong? Hope they don't push the blame on each other...and you get the headache. Hope you get the picture. So it is prudent to be aware of the issues first.

Upfront however, pl be aware it is difficult to provide real help or advice on yr question bcoz yr info is incomplete n yr question is too general. E.g. Hack whole house tiles? What abt electrical power points? Who will do that for the kitchen? Will you replace windows in bathroom, toilet, kitchen? These must be completed b4 walls can be re-tiled. What abt gas piping and burner hob installation? Gas piping must be completed b4 kitchen cabinets, unless u use LPG (=wasted space for LPG tank, amongst other issues). PS gas installers had a long queue of waiting customers when I was doing mine, so i had to wait a few weeks. So you see, incomplete info may lead to incomplete or incorrect answers. Doing it yr way may help yr overall budget, but you need to research and read up on how to renovate yr home, etc. Some IDs are also clueless or forgot to advise you, maybe he was inexperienced, so he didn't know the exact sequence too. E.g. wall tiling was left incomplete bcoz my ID forgot to schedule window installation in advance *sigh*. Possibly it is more fun, more exciting, more happening, "to do it my way!". Like you, I did mine part ID, part my own contractor, etc but only bcoz I was fully prepared as it was my 2nd reno.

If you're not aware of related issues, you may get incomplete (=wrong advice) help through forumers' replies. A lot of kind souls are ever ready to answer yr queries. If you gave incomplete details, you may get incorrect/incomplete answer. A better approach is to follow up with more questions e.g. ask like "Thanks. Pl advise how exactly did you plan for yr reno, what main points did you consider for yr own reno that may be useful for me? What problems did you encounter, if any?".. You can only know what specific questions to ask if you hv some idea of the issues involved. Then you'll get answers that will help you further.

Here's some general guidelines:

Do Research : You should read forum threads to get an overview of problems & mistakes made by other forumers b4 you start yr reno proper.

Planning : Consider what you want to renovate / change, kitchen types, appliances type, fixtures & fittings you intend to install, location of elect sockets, etc. What you decide impact the design plan & completion schedule for yr reno. If you source service providers independent of the ID/Contractor you need to ensure proper coordination e.g. if you intend to change/replace windows, get yr new toilet/bathroom/kitchen windows installed before new wall tiles are laid for the toilet/bathroom/kitchen, etc.

Shortlist & Select ID: Do this carefully. Whether you hv a smooth or rough ride depends on yr ID and his subcons team.

Sequence of Actual Works: That is for the ID to explain / inform you, but you shld hv an idea so you can personally check workmanship & mistakes at each reno stage. Before actual reno work starts you shld discuss the overall design, measurements of fixtures e.g. burner hob, hood, toilet ven fan, etc

Project Management: You need to exercise some degree of project management to ensure yr reno turns out the way you want or expect it to be, esp the workmanship and progress. When you discuss progress payments, don't accept ID's timing or schedule, but determine yr own payment schedule, in line with and depending on work done to yr or mutual (i.e. ID and you prior agreed) satisfaction. This is the only way you can control and monitor progress. Ensure ID understood what you want and what kind of workmanship is acceptable to you.

There are other issues discussed on my blog. Check them out. Also, google for info on the Net. You may be new to reno but you don't hv to be totally clueless as you can learn from others' experiences & mistakes from this forum and other local forums on reno.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by BlueFly

another thing to take note is the reno loan if u need one. You need to submit the ID quote for approval of loan.

Good point!

Yes, bank needs to verify the quotation for renovation loans.

Cheers

Edited by BlueFly

Good point!

Yes, bank needs to verify the quotation for renovation loans.

Cheers

Yeah..and that will be after i confirmed the ID.As it is very difficult to get a load if i have different contractors!!

For that sake.......i think i will not take the idea of having multiple contractors.

Thanks guys........

Yeah..and that will be after i confirmed the ID.As it is very difficult to get a load if i have different contractors!!

For that sake.......i think i will not take the idea of having multiple contractors.

Thanks guys........

You may still use different contractors provided you hv supporting quotation / invoices (after work is done) from them. Suggest you preliminarily approach the bank now and tell the loan officer you're using different contractors. The loan officer will advise you what to do. You're not committed at this stage, everything is exploratory.

Edited by BlueFly