Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
leong81

Kitchen Top

hi i dun really know much about reno stuff as i am learning tho. well my id give me a ideal of using wood(dendrod) something like that i cant remember the name for the wood brand exactly. they say is waterproof and quite durable for the kitchen top .wonder has anyone use wood instead of solid surface or granite for the kitchen top? can anyone advice me on it thanks.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

My old house is using something like wood, but i don't like it, coz over time it'll give you problem. it is water proof but after long time the water can leak into the side and the wood will start to rot, I don't suggest you to go for this type.

My current one is solid surface, I also don't like it coz it is prone to scratches and marks. Do ask your ID or contractor the pro and con of each type of material before deciding. You may refer to my post here:

http://mylittlecasa.blogspot.com/2011/08/solid-surface-for-kitchen-table-top-do.html

I just installed a corion hard top...... but its not that hard too..... hahaha you still cannot have hot pots on the top and to be careful of hard stain like coffee....... i am not sure if the pure stone type will be better or not..... but anyhow its much better than the normal wood top...

Mine after 8 years, i have a small plant grown on the wood top..... hahaha most of my sink area all rotted.... the remover saw my top also shake heads hahahahaha :sport-smiley-004:

I just installed a corion hard top...... but its not that hard too..... hahaha you still cannot have hot pots on the top and to be careful of hard stain like coffee....... i am not sure if the pure stone type will be better or not..... but anyhow its much better than the normal wood top...

Mine after 8 years, i have a small plant grown on the wood top..... hahaha most of my sink area all rotted.... the remover saw my top also shake heads hahahahaha :sport-smiley-004:

Hi tyming,

Mind sharing cost and color of your Corian top? Still contemplating between Corian or Zodiaq (engineered quartz) both from Dupont... :unsure:

I did 16ft @ $2080 before GST. I did not realise got Zodiaq. Is it good?. My corian is white with white dots...like marble. Quite nice. My installation is so fast since they do not need to grind..... lucky... just 2 piece - 1 at sink/cook area and other one at cabinet area.

May I know what is Corion hard top?

THanks

hi i dun really know much about reno stuff as i am learning tho. well my id give me a ideal of using wood(dendrod) something like that i cant remember the name for the wood brand exactly. they say is waterproof and quite durable for the kitchen top .wonder has anyone use wood instead of solid surface or granite for the kitchen top? can anyone advice me on it thanks.

For kitchen top, I would recommend eigher Solid Surface or Granite. Both are durable and lasting. Outlook wise, almost identical to me.

Solid Surface: 70-90pf

Granite: 100-120pf

Hope this helps.

For wet and hot area (Where ur stove and water basin are located), it is recommended to have a concrete structure. This would be the most lasting and durable. Having said that, such a structure is not in tune with looks (even though we can improve the outlook by choosing dark homo tiles).

For cabinet kitchen top, recommended to go for granite or quartz surface instead of solid top as solid top are made of mixture of plastic (cannot withstand heat and stains).

For kitchen solid top, i suggest quartz surface from CaesarStone or SilesStone. They are expensive, starting from $150 pfr for standard range to $250 pfr for premium range. This is go direct price, if you get them through your ID or contractor, they will sure mark up before quoting you.

pfr = per foot run (NOT per square feet (psf))!

Edited by albertchng

Hi! Does anyone do their kitchen with full post-form/laminate top? That is, not only the work top, even the whole surface around the cooking hob, the area surrounding the sink is also of post-form/laminate.

For those who have been using for some time or for years, have they posted any risk of damage/peeling/warping to the laminate surface due to water seepage into under the laminates?

Still deciding between using granite/solid surface, Kompacplus and post-form/laminate.....