Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jingle

Blue Is The Colour Of Dreams

:) halo, pls update this blog more. I am curious abt the final result!

Hi Piknik, will try my best to post more each day. Glad to hear you're excited too, are you gonna do reno anytime soon?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I'm interested to see the final result.

Really like the final kitchen 3D, I think the kitchen will look really nice.

I'm opting for a white kitchen as well, but likely to be grey countertop. How I wish I can hack my service yard too. :dribble:

I'm interested to see the final result.

Really like the final kitchen 3D, I think the kitchen will look really nice.

I'm opting for a white kitchen as well, but likely to be grey countertop. How I wish I can hack my service yard too. :dribble:

Reine - is your kitchen works in progress? Or still planning stage and can still change the colour of laminates? Having it with grey solid top should make the kitchen stand out more than mine. But one thing hafta warn you, with all the white laminates or flooring around, any dirt can easily see. Then when you see also quite stressful... wahahhahhaha

Now the action starts :dancingqueen:

Kitchen service balcony hacking in progress:

pix001.jpg

Mortar bases done up for fridge & cabinets:

pix006.jpg

pix005.jpg

Divider for cooking and utility area built:

pix004.jpg

After flooring was done, time for the air-conditioner piping. From hubby's checks of various shops, EverJoint provided the cheapest quotes for system 4 Starmex Mitsubishi Electric. We also got our cooker hob (Rinnai RB-3SS) and oven (Bosch HBN331E2J) from EJ.

The contractor from EJ came, along with the help of our ID, the position of the various sets was re-discussed. Hubby was on off that day and was told by ID to monitor the piping progress to make sure that contractor doesn't try to save on material which will affect the coolness of the air conditioning. The contractor claimed he has another job and will come back later. He will update before the piping is done. Hubby waited - No calls no nothing. We received a call at approximately 8pm that night telling us that the piping was all done up and trunking sealed.

Frankly, we were rather upset from this episode coz we wanted to check that they had infact used the appropriate insulation and stuff but now that everything is already concealed under the trunking, we can only pray that the contractor did a good job. There wasn't anything much we could do. And the call at 8pm was to 'demand' for the cheque of the remaining amount. I was definitely quite pissed.

ID got the painters for 'colouring':

Light Grey for MBR

pix021.jpg

Only 1 wall is light grey, the rest of the walls are white.

Some mocha related for guest/future kids room

pix022.jpg

This room is really lucky coz one wall is the mocha colour and the rest of the walls are a colour called light mist or something like that.

Green for Study Rm

pix023.jpg

Originally chose green as wanted something cheery and good for the eyes. Similarly, the rest of the walls are white. After seeing the living room and the rest of the bed rooms, I found that this green was too much of a standout. So I requested it to be changed to a colour close to the MBR and guest room palette. Luckily, this decision was reversible :P

Blue for Living Rm

contractor.jpg

This was the dream colour I wanted to have, the rest of the walls are white too. It feels super good!! ID did warn that as there are only 2 coats currently, the eventual coat will deepen the tone slightly.

Hi.. Sorry to hear abt ur aircon installation problem.

Yes, I am excited as I am currently looking out for a contractor to do my new flat @ punggol.

Quite daunting....

Sorry sorry for the delay in updating, was busy packing for the shift in on Friday. Ok here goes the continued updates:

Time for Carpentry!!

Lessons learned from my parent's home reno is that if you're very sure you don't mind having that furniture in the same place and having the same look for 10yrs and more, then carpentry works is the way to go. If you want to change the positioning of the furniture or see yourself changing your family nucleus and stuff, the perhaps better to buy them instead of having them build.

With this, we decided to do carpentry works only for following:

- Kitchen cabinets

- Built in shoe cabinet behind main door

- MBR wardrobe

- Cabinets for the 2 toilets

Pictures of work in progress:

Kitchen cabinets

pix041-1.jpg

pix040-1.jpg

Built in shoe cabinet

pix047.jpg

pix045.jpg

Wood backing for the tempered black glass

pix046.jpg

You can see that we asked ID to seal on side of the bomb shelter ventilation.

MBR wardrobe

pix044.jpg

This was already done up before I had any chance to take the work in progress. I'm quite pleased with the colours though. :dancingqueen: Classic & simple. So I can buy any colour of bed sheets including prints/patterns to match the wardrobe. Yayy!

Toilet cabinets

pix042.jpg

pix043.jpg

The MBR toilet cabinets appeared dark so I asked hubby to take another picture close-up. See below.

pix-1.jpg

Do I like it - No, not really? Can change? Unfortunately cannot be changed. ID says that the cabinet laminates are already being 'stuck' on the wood before cutting up the individual pieces for assembly. So no choice, cannot change. After looking at it many times, I guess I was just being really particular. Although they ain't what I imagined them to be, but actually not that bad as well. Frankly, i think unless it is a real 'obiang', the people who are visiting will hardly notice what tone of the grey it is :rolleyes: hehhehehehhe

my 2cents worth for those of you doing the reno:

If you really cannot make up your mind on the laminates colour, don't be in a rush coz this one cannot undo unless you willing to pay for all the material costs to re-do the cabinets. Ask around to visit some neighbours' place or if you can afford the time, wait until their reno is done. People who have been staying in their new place long enough will be more than happy to tell you what are their reno mistakes, what to look out for, what to take note of, what they loved and/or regretted doing, how tough/easy to maintain.

Also take the chance to see how people match their colours/themes and textures, you'll be surprised at the findings :) Coz what you see on paper is quite different when the furniture is in. Also ask if you can take pictures, then at least you can tell your ID what you like and what you don't like, which type of ideas you want to copy. As we are novice in the renovation line, ID may not understand what we are referring to so picture definitely helps.