Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
abchee

How to tell? Indonesian or Burmese Teak?

Hi all,

I was quoted around $2k for parquet flooring for 3 bedrooms. After the works were done, the contractor billed me twice the price and claim he had used the Burmese wood instead of Indonesia wood (as quoted earlier). I am now very upset over the increase as it is a lot of money. On top of that, we were not told he is using the premium wood when we were chosing the wood samples and am now stucked whether to pay him the premium price anot. But since all has been done, I will be willing to top up if it is indeed the premium wood used.

Does anyone knows the difference between Burmese and Indonesian wood? Is Burmese wood really better and more pricy? How do I ascertain that it is the real Burmese wood?

I'm new to this forum and hope someone can help me. Thanking all in advance.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi

I've added a post under Cost Of Parquet Flooring I guess you didn't see it. :lol:

It is quite hard to tell the different when the Teak flooring is done with varnish.

However Burmese Teakwood would look darker brown because the Teak tree

from Burma are older much are from very old natural forest thus more Teak oil

and also more expensive. While Indonesia Teakwood are from plantation normally

cut down at a younger age thus look lighter in color. Both can repel termites.

The best thing to do is to request for a Certificate of Origin by the supplier for

the Teak flooring that are delivered to your house and call up the supplier to confirm.

That is what I did. Hope this help you. :P

Hi, id really like to know how you did, because honestly i just cant believe this guy would suddenly say....AFTER THE JOB!!!! that he used a wood twice as expensive than originally. WITHOUT SHOWING YOU THE ORIGINAL ORDER FORM RECIPT FROM THE COMPANY HE BOUGHT THE WOOD FROM. I hope sir you did NOT pay him without proof thast this is in fact BURMESE teak. Bhurmese is cream de la cream so to say, i most crtainly hope you got it. If it were me, i would insist on the work order proof of wood species. and id carefully take out a piece from the floor,and do a little research. got a hardwood dealer for a opinion,and research online.

I recently went through a similar situation, it was between quartersawn RED oak and quartersawn Old Growth WHITE OAK. But in my situation, i came out rightous. it was white oak. Which here in B.C. is up to 30dollars a bdft. Burmese teak is 35.00 a bdft in 4/4 minimum. any chance you can send a photo? OH and i suppose the contractor didnt leave a single piece of teak did he? If there was practiclly NO scrap, maby it was burmese. There are good honest contractors out there but theyre like used car salesman.

Kindest Regards, Ron.

Hi all,

Just want to add that the obvious difference is that Burmese teak is 12" by 2" while Indonesian teak is 10" by 2". And the cost difference is only about SGD$0.70 psf, not 2x.

Of course this may not be the rule of thumb, but that's the difference a supplier told me.

Most likely the threadstarter was underquoted because 3 bedrooms at 2k can get you decent laminate flooring, not parquet.