Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
lawcoolz

Storeroom Rack Mouldy!

Hey guys, I moved to my new home n got those bolt less metal racks with wooden planks for the bomb shelter abt 9 mths ago. Few mths ago realized that the wooden plans got really mouldy, so I wiped the planks clean. But recently I checked n found that the planks got really mouldy again! :(

So I tried using bleach-based mould cleaner to clean the planks, but I'm still really worried that the mould will come back.

I'm not sure if it is due to the wooden planks or because the bomb shelter is nex to the rarely used guest toilet.

Would appreciate if anyone can advise if i should juz switch to metal planks? If yes, do those companies only sell the metal planks, or I muz buy an entire new set of racks?

Thx!

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

it sounds like you have a problem with moisture. You might want to leave the wooden planks in the sun to dry properly before you put them back in your bomb shelter. I would suggest you leave the door of the bomb shelter slightly open to improve the ventilation (reduce humidity) and close your toilet door. Also, do check that you are not keeping very moist stuff in the bomb shelter. If all fails, perhaps you can just change the planks? I think the root of the problem might be the planks. I'm using wooden planks in my store room, which is also close to the toilet and I don't have this problem.

My friend had the same problem with moisture in his master bedroom and I later realised it's because he closes all his windows all the time and leaves his MBR toilet door open. After I suggested that he airs his room by leaving the windows open and get a good fan to ventilate his room, everything seems ok. Hope this works for you.

• Like 1

Hi,

it sounds like you have a problem with moisture. You might want to leave the wooden planks in the sun to dry properly before you put them back in your bomb shelter. I would suggest you leave the door of the bomb shelter slightly open to improve the ventilation (reduce humidity) and close your toilet door. Also, do check that you are not keeping very moist stuff in the bomb shelter. If all fails, perhaps you can just change the planks? I think the root of the problem might be the planks. I'm using wooden planks in my store room, which is also close to the toilet and I don't have this problem.

My friend had the same problem with moisture in his master bedroom and I later realised it's because he closes all his windows all the time and leaves his MBR toilet door open. After I suggested that he airs his room by leaving the windows open and get a good fan to ventilate his room, everything seems ok. Hope this works for you.

your friend staying mid floor or lower floor?

Hey guys, I moved to my new home n got those bolt less metal racks with wooden planks for the bomb shelter abt 9 mths ago. Few mths ago realized that the wooden plans got really mouldy, so I wiped the planks clean. But recently I checked n found that the planks got really mouldy again! :(

So I tried using bleach-based mould cleaner to clean the planks, but I'm still really worried that the mould will come back.

I'm not sure if it is due to the wooden planks or because the bomb shelter is nex to the rarely used guest toilet.

Would appreciate if anyone can advise if i should juz switch to metal planks? If yes, do those companies only sell the metal planks, or I muz buy an entire new set of racks?

Thx!

Hey guys, is really not because your storeroom is near toilet or not. In Singapore our moisture level are specially high, any wood will absorb moist and grow mold on it overtime, even if you open your storeroom door always, it's not helping.

Mold smells and are toxic, it produce mycotoxins, toxic substances that cause health problems in some people. If you have wood cabinet or shelve you will have to constantly clean them and remove the mold.

If you still have a choice, replace them with metal shelves, those that do not rust.

Check out this company specialize on storeroom rack. StoreRoomRack.com

once mould starts, it cannot be removed easily, you need professional help with anti fungal treatment, bleach doesn't kill mould / fungus, it kills bacteria though.

If you have a standard sized storeroom rack you can replace them easily either using ready cut fiberboard, plywood or steel shelves.

Just for your info most industry standard shelves are in segments like this, so it's easy for you to cash and carry, will fit any car boot or back seat.

MetalShelves.jpg

I sell these types of metal and fibreboard shelves, drop me a line via my site for storeroom rack

mould is related to the humidity of the room, the plank (what type of wood), and a number of factors.

my suggestion as follow:

1) take out the plank and sun them if possible

2) buy a can of clear lacquer, those that look like spray paint of different color. but choose "clear lacquer"

3) spray on all sides of the plank.

it should be able to resolve or at least be able to prolonged the it greatly.

• Like 1

spraying on wood comes with quite a lot of effort with sanding down and stuff.

For those who don't have the skill, time and patience, it's easier to just replace all the wood panels. :notti: