Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
cjmm5

Renovation Cost

Looking for advise!

I have jst bought a resale HDB and looking at it, I will need to do quite some renovation. If someone can help me with the questions below:

1. What is the major cost of a renovation?

2. I think I will need to hack and re-erect some rooms to change the layout, will this cost me a bomb?

3. With these hacking and re-build, would I have to change the ceiling and flooring as well?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi,

if u are interested, u can view my blogging topic on demolishing works & fabrication of solid walls for my flat & use it as a reference when u renovate your flat:

Blogging title: Demolition & Fabrication of Walls (in between bedrooms)

http://barbettey.blogspot.com/2012/05/demolition-fabrication-of-walls-in.html

This is a repetition of my earlier review that was launched on renotalk forum but this topic had been unlinked from my username:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=40463&st=120

best wishes!

Edited by edenstrauss

There isn't a fixed price to renovation of a home becox there are many factors involved. e.g. whether u are engaging an ID & if yes, which company u r going for; & with ID, whether u are paying for both design & quality (materials & workmanship) or one of the 2 aspects.

Most home owners would work within their budget.

However, given the amount of complaints coming from home owners who had botched jobs done for their home renovation, I would highly recommend that u select carefully & do not just based your selection of low cost.

best wishes to your new home!

Edited by edenstrauss

Thank you all for your advise. However, I need a little more info on estimated costing especially for hacking n re- erecting walls

that goes by site measurement & there is no such thing as a fixed price to it.

U've got to get your ID / contractor to visit your premises & quote according to dimensions & other factors such as level of difficulties, rewiring requirements (if applicable), etc. And also the raw materials used eg hollow blocks, red solid bricks or gypsum boards.

Edited by edenstrauss

Looking for advise!

I have jst bought a resale HDB and looking at it, I will need to do quite some renovation. If someone can help me with the questions below:

1. What is the major cost of a renovation?

2. I think I will need to hack and re-erect some rooms to change the layout, will this cost me a bomb?

3. With these hacking and re-build, would I have to change the ceiling and flooring as well?

• Not sure about others, for me the major cost in my renovation is the high end carpentry works + the CaesarStone quartz counter top ($20K), next is the tiling works ($10K), total cost me $46K. Compare to some ID firm that quoted me high of $50K to 70K. Btw, mine is a tiny 3 rooms hdb flat.
  • Hacking and rebuilding rooms to change layout is quite costly.
  • Yes if you want it to look good. Usually hack and rebuild first, then lay new floor, next run new wire for the new room, may need new false ceiling or L-box if you have high ceiling (2700mm & above).

Maybe you can share with us how big is your hdb flat, what renovation you want and how much is your budget? Many forumers here have gone through at least one renovation in recent 1 year and should be able to provide some suggestion.

• Not sure about others, for me the major cost in my renovation is the high end carpentry works + the CaesarStone quartz counter top ($20K), next is the tiling works ($10K), total cost me $46K. Compare to some ID firm that quoted me high of $50K to 70K. Btw, mine is a tiny 3 rooms hdb flat.
  • Yes if you want it to look good. Usually hack and rebuild first, then lay new floor, next run new wire for the new room, may need new false ceiling or L-box if you have high ceiling (2700mm & above).

Maybe you can share with us how big is your hdb flat, what renovation you want and how much is your budget? Many forumers here have gone through at least one renovation in recent 1 year and should be able to provide some suggestion.

I bought a kind of jumbo flat which is 1700plus sq ft. However, I need to remove some rooms and build some rooms which I personally think that will impact the ceilings and floorings too.

I have seen a blog saying that hacking and building walls can be done without affecting the flooring, is that true?

I have seen a blog saying that hacking and building walls can be done without affecting the flooring, is that true?

There are many factors involved.

My tiling was done by a very good contractor 10 years ago; there are only 2 hollow tiles in the entire flat. If there are many hollow tiles around, the impact of the debris dropping down while the wall is being demolished might cause tiles to crack.

The ceramic tiles that we chose is of a very good quality becox I've ever dropped glass vases & glass cups onto the floor by accident but thus far, there were no cracks or chip-offs.

And my demolish-er is very experienced & skillful too.

For fabrication of walls, it depends on what materials u want the renovator to use. If u use gypsum board, it's not going to hurt much becox it could be removed without inflicting damages to you walls & flooring. It's alot cheaper but sound proofing properties are not as good - U'll be able to hear what's going on in the next room.

Edited by edenstrauss

Hi edenstrauss,

There are 2 types of tile; ceramic and homogeneous. The former is popular some 30 years ago, easy to crack and chip off if you drop a vase or cup onto it, the base is made of red clay and is different color from the top layer. Homogeneous tile made it debute in the 90s, the base material and the top layer is of the same color and texture, the structure is very dense thus they are very tough and hard, dropping a vase or cup onto it will not harm them (just imagine throwing egg against a rock, the rock crack or the egg crack?). My living room and bedroom are using glazed homogeneous tile which is even better than normal homogeneous tile, not everone can accept glazed effect, the reflection is like water rippling effect; normal homogeneous will have a mirror like reflection.

Tiler with good skill and workmanship, no chance to have any hollow tile. My tiler told me they will do a good job at first go and move on to the next project, where got time to go back to relay. This group of tilers lay wall covering and flooring for operating theater in hospital that must pass stringent check. If hollow tile they need to redo whole area all over again, not just remove that few pieces of tile.

My 1/2 cent.

Hi edenstrauss,

There are 2 types of tile; ceramic and homogeneous. The former is popular some 30 years ago, easy to crack and chip off if you drop a vase or cup onto it, the base is made of red clay and is different color from the top layer. Homogeneous tile made it debute in the 90s, the base material and the top layer is of the same color and texture, the structure is very dense thus they are very tough and hard, dropping a vase or cup onto it will not harm them (just imagine throwing egg against a rock, the rock crack or the egg crack?). My living room and bedroom are using glazed homogeneous tile which is even better than normal homogeneous tile, not everone can accept glazed effect, the reflection is like water rippling effect; normal homogeneous will have a mirror like reflection.

Tiler with good skill and workmanship, no chance to have any hollow tile. My tiler told me they will do a good job at first go and move on to the next project, where got time to go back to relay. This group of tilers lay wall covering and flooring for operating theater in hospital that must pass stringent check. If hollow tile they need to redo whole area all over again, not just remove that few pieces of tile.

My 1/2 cent.

Hi thanks for sharing.

Mine is ceramic tiles but they might not necessarily be inferior. Many contractors who visited our flat told us that we have good quality ceramic & even our current contractors said that our tiling was well done.

U might have mistaken our version of ceramic tiling for the flimsy cheap sort that u saw in showrooms today which are meant for wall tiling & made in china.

There are many grades jux like how it is for homogenous tiles which have their problems too as there are mass imports from China.

I cannot comment on other contractors' workmanship but we went around knocking on all the tiles in our flat & we detected 2 pieces that had "hollow" sounds. And thank goodness they weren't located in those bedrooms we restored last year.

Edited by edenstrauss

Hi taichipanda,

I saw you posted your reno in another blog. Your house is very nice. Can pm me your ID contact and quotation?

Thanks.

Hi taichipanda,

I saw you posted your reno in another blog. Your house is very nice. Can pm me your ID contact and quotation?

Thanks.

Thanks for liking my house.

I have to apologise that i am unable to share my ID contact and quotation as the designer is a family friend and their company only undertake government tenders, landed properties and condo projects. They dont undertake hdb flat unless is someone they know or is friend. I cant share my detailed quotation with you as they are friend-friend price; same quality if go ID firms outside will cost easily another 50% more.

Thanks for liking my house.

I have to apologise that i am unable to share my ID contact and quotation as the designer is a family friend and their company only undertake government tenders, landed properties and condo projects. They dont undertake hdb flat unless is someone they know or is friend. I cant share my detailed quotation with you as they are friend-friend price; same quality if go ID firms outside will cost easily another 50% more.

Noted. Thanks taichipanda. I just bought a 3RM resale flat. Now in the midst of searching for contractor/ID which is very stressful.